Silo (Apple TV series based on Hugh Howey’ “Wool”)(spoiler for show)

On 6/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Rippounet said:

Of course.

I mean…big disagree from me I suppose lol. I think having an authoritarianism = bad and freedom = good message is pretty evident for this show but I very, VERY much doubt that’s the ONLY thing it has to say. 

I enjoyed the last ep again but still tearing my hair out at the constant cliff hangers!! Overall really loving this show though. Lots of little loose threads but I’m not so worried about them because it has already been renewed for a second season so I’m hoping they’ll be addressed. 

Like why was Shirley’s file important? What does she or the down deep have to do with the rebellion? What is the syndrome? 

At the moment I’m in a place where I’m trusting the show to get to all of these threads in its own time. 

is the next episode the last? Not sure what a big change we can have in one more episode but I’m bloody well looking forward to it! 

Still a little undecided about the show. It feels like they teased us with the hard drive in the first episode, then went on a big detour, then we’re back to ‘what’s on the hard drive’ as our main mystery of episode 9. Plus the previous ending was stupid, ceasing on her partners syndrome as a weakness made sense, but then Sims lets her steal the bag AND get away? Mr Super Scary Judicial? Nah.

48 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I do think the characterisation of Simms has been a bit all over the place. One minute he’s a family man, noble protector of the Silo and the next he’s a sadistic prick. 

People are complicated.  People can be kind to those who they care about and vicious to those they see as a threat to those they care about.  

Simms has a level of ruthlessness.  But he is also loyal to his family and those who have helped his family.  I think he is consistent.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I do think the characterisation of Simms has been a bit all over the place. One minute he’s a family man, noble protector of the Silo and the next he’s a sadistic prick. 

The speculation I've seen is that the cleaning in the finale (we know there's one from trailer shots of Bernard with Billings behind him) is going to be Simms wife for letting Juliette escape, so the ultimate arc for him over the first season might be moving him from loyal dog of the authoritarians to getting onside with rebellion. 

I thought it was very strongly hinted in the conversations between him and his wife that their goal of Simms replacing Bernard was a means to an end rather than an end in and of itself, so I think there's more to him than we've seen so far as well.

I was begging it not to end without us getting an objective view of the outside, this was exactly the right spot to end it.

Props to people I saw who called the heat tape not being air tight, I'm going to keep hope alive for the decontamination cycle being a toxin rather than the atmosphere itself being toxic - both work as far as the tape providing protection from it. What is out the window is Bernard not being aware though. Although...

I'm curious why he needed to deactivate the fake AR of a green earth before she got further, maybe he is unaware? In which case he's thought the atmosphere is genuinely toxic and now he's hopeful and deactivated it to ensure it didn't walk her off a cliff? I think I'd like that actually.

I'm absolutely reading the book now lol. I can do a week of cliffhangers with source material available but I can't do a year.

ETA: He totally doesn't know about the door at the bottom of the silo either. She just planted an idea in his head that's going to grow curiosity in him

Edited by karaddin

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

I was begging it not to end without us getting an objective view of the outside, this was exactly the right spot to end it.

Props to people I saw who called the heat tape not being air tight, I'm going to keep hope alive for the decontamination cycle being a toxin rather than the atmosphere itself being toxic - both work as far as the tape providing protection from it. What is out the window is Bernard not being aware though. Although...

I'm curious why he needed to deactivate the fake AR of a green earth before she got further, maybe he is unaware? In which case he's thought the atmosphere is genuinely toxic and now he's hopeful and deactivated it to ensure it didn't walk her off a cliff? I think I'd like that actually.

I'm absolutely reading the book now lol. I can do a week of cliffhangers with source material available but I can't do a year.

ETA: He totally doesn't know about the door at the bottom of the silo either. She just planted an idea in his head that's going to grow curiosity in him

LOL - I’m the same as you, I can wait a week but not a year. Off to the books I go!!! 

OMG. One thing I did NOT factor in was that there could be MULTIPLE silos. I didn’t even dream of that at all. 

where is Holston and Becker?! I need to know!!! 

16 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

LOL - I’m the same as you, I can wait a week but not a year. Off to the books I go!!! 

OMG. One thing I did NOT factor in was that there could be MULTIPLE silos. I didn’t even dream of that at all. 

where is Holston and Becker?! I need to know!!! 

I hadn't considered multiple either until I saw others immediately assume the '18' on the hard drive and the (apparently) USB key stood for the 18th silo, and there are certainly more than 18.

Holston is definitely dead. The glitching rock that Jules put his badge onto is actually his body :( 

1 minute ago, 3CityApache said:

I don't actually remember which part of the books takes place before the silos go online, but there is one. I wonder if they're going to do it too in the series.

Spoiler

I could see definitely it as a single episode, maybe two I don't remember much about that book so I don't know if I could see it being engaging for longer than that, but it's also integral to the backstory.  I think the showrunners could definitely make good use of it. 

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I hadn't considered multiple either until I saw others immediately assume the '18' on the hard drive and the (apparently) USB key stood for the 18th silo, and there are certainly more than 18.

Holston is definitely dead. The glitching rock that Jules put his badge onto is actually his body :( 

Omg noooo!! I didn’t think of that at all! 

THE DOOR!! the DOOR at the bottom - OMG it must lead to tunnels that connect up to the OTHER SILOS. They’re so close together!! 

ahhh!!!!! I’m reading the book I’m so hyped up about this I MUST know

4 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Omg noooo!! I didn’t think of that at all! 

THE DOOR!! the DOOR at the bottom - OMG it must lead to tunnels that connect up to the OTHER SILOS. They’re so close together!! 

ahhh!!!!! I’m reading the book I’m so hyped up about this I MUST know

Yeah, I'm now wondering if the original society actually spanned all the silos and silo 18 cut itself off from the others which is why they needed to forget everything.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah, I'm now wondering if the original society actually spanned all the silos and silo 18 cut itself off from the others which is why they needed to forget everything.

OMG. I hadn’t even thought of that either…maybe!! 

im wondering if they’re like Fallout Vaults though, with some of them being empty/fall of the dead after failed rebellions, anarchy. And whether some of them are much nicer than Silo 18, if some of them are even worse etc. or if like you say that they’re all connected save for Silo 18. 

do you think Bernard knows? I think he knows a lot but I don’t think he knows everything and I’m convinced yet that he even knows there are other Silos. 

I'm 60/40 on he actually doesn't know much more than the rest of the silo and is convinced it's all necessary/actually knows a lot and there was some other reason for why he turned off the fake landscape for Jules.