Jaime, the Most Hated Person

On 5/8/2023 at 8:19 AM, SeanF said:

Jaime is pretty well hated across the Seven Kingdoms.  Partisans of the Starks, Tullys, Targaryens, as well as the Dornish, would all string him up on the spot.  And, he is widely viewed as a despicable traitor to his king.

While his motivation for killing Aerys was based upon more than self-interest, he has no qualms about his and Cersei’s selfishness sparking off a civil war, and likely condemning his children to death.  Nor is he bothered about breaching the terms upon which Catelyn released him.  

He’s not gray. He is a humanized villain though. All his evil motivations were driven by human feelings even if they were in the wrong place. He’s a person who have been making bad choices since his youth.  

Edited by Moiraine Sedai

On the one hand, broadly speaking, Jaime might be the most…notorious, I think would be a better term, disparaged? Hate is strong and most people don’t seem to have that deep of an emotional investment in the Mad King or his death, but yes, Jaime is kind of the living representation of how much things aren’t like the Good Old Days. 

But it’s really all just about what the moniker says, killing Aerys. Like a handful of people know about Tysha and all but 2 were themselves complicit. The twincest thing is pretty salacious, but no more so than the kind of gossip about almost every noble of note we get glimpses of whenever George lets us see the small folk’s perceptions. We as readers know this one’s true, but they don’t get the books. 

That aside, yes, I like the formatting and I really enjoyed your inductive/deductive reasoning re: the prophecy. Not exactly sold, but then I almost never am by this kind of literary argument without knowing that the author thinks/writes that way, and imo George only kinda sometimes thinks/writes this way. He is imo a conflicted writer, which is part of the fascination. 

Edited by James Arryn

Jaime needs to check into A$$hole Rehab and get a new personality.  The Starks will try to kill him for what he did to Bran but he might survive until the end.  A villain like that took five books to build.  George Martin won't let Jaime die just yet.  Jaime will find a way to temporarily escape Bran's wrath until near the ending.  So yes, Bran will get his revenge on Jaime but not until near the end.  The Starks will be total savages by then and Jaime will suffer before dying.  I don't see Jaime getting redeemed.  Jaime and Bran are both on course for their deadly personal confrontation.  

7 hours ago, James West said:

Jaime needs to check into A$$hole Rehab and get a new personality.  The Starks will try to kill him for what he did to Bran but he might survive until the end.  A villain like that took five books to build.  George Martin won't let Jaime die just yet.  Jaime will find a way to temporarily escape Bran's wrath until near the ending.  So yes, Bran will get his revenge on Jaime but not until near the end.  The Starks will be total savages by then and Jaime will suffer before dying.  I don't see Jaime getting redeemed.  Jaime and Bran are both on course for their deadly personal confrontation.  

If Lady Stoneheart doesn't get to him first.

9 hours ago, James West said:

I want Jamie to pay for hurting Bran, too.  Bad show.  I read this Bran character and think he will repay the Liddles for their kindness, comparing Lyanna and Leaf to Arya, acorn paste tasting like his mother's kiss and wonder if he's got any spite in him.  Sure he threw a few fits, told a lie or 2, but Bran really is just a little boy.  I don't see that vengeance in him.  In a way Jamie losing his sword hand is sort of score evened.  They both lost what made them extraordinary, the abilities to scramble and fight.  If Bran remembers Jamie would he be angry?

10 hours ago, James West said:

Holy fanfiction Batman!

Edited by Lady Stonehearts Simp

Jaime did what half of Lords and Knights of the Seven Kingdoms wished they could to the Mad King. His action at its core was an example of a man being unrestrained by duty, vows, obligations, and conventional opinion. I think that part of the hatred towards him comes from men who wish they could have done what he did but were prevented by circumstance or restrained by their own attachment to custom from doing themselves. 

On 5/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, SeanF said:

Among the fandom, I think that Jaime is generally held in higher regard than he deserves.

Maybe even GRRM holds him in higher regard than he deserves, because for the first read his constant self-pitying makes him sympathetic.