On and On About Harry & Meghan Part 4

Fragile Bird

Royals don’t need to be ‘talented’, that’s the whole point. Their role is sit and be figureheads, say the right things and not create a fuss. Where they go wrong is thinking that they have some sort of talent and try and actually go and do stuff! Look at Prince Edward for a true lack of talent. 

That’s why leaving the Royals is such a bad idea, it exposes just how useless they are at everything other than speeches and waving at crowds. 

Meghan and Harry seem to have caught the idea that somehow they were talented and had special purpose , but it turns out all they are good for is selling their story and doing the dirty on the Royal Family. Meghan seems to think she has some gift for tv or is a big thinker, but reality is hitting her hard unfortunately for her.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Royals don’t need to be ‘talented’, that’s the whole point. Their role is sit and be figureheads, say the right things and not create a fuss. Where they go wrong is thinking that they have some sort of talent and try and actually go and do stuff! Look at Prince Edward for a true lack of talent. 

That’s why leaving the Royals is such a bad idea, it exposes just how useless they are at everything other than speeches and waving at crowds. 

Meghan and Harry seem to have caught the idea that somehow they were talented and had special purpose , but it turns out all they are good for is selling their story and doing the dirty on the Royal Family. Meghan seems to think she has some gift for tv or is a big thinker, but reality is hitting her hard unfortunately for her.

I guess I can see where you would think there is nothing to being an 'entertainment mogul' beyond hiring the right staff. "Anyone can do it" if they have the $$. 

But it appears that at the very least there has to be something else, otherwise Meg and Harry's various non royal gossip initiatives wouldn't have failed.  Of course, they still have a hard time keeping staff, which isn't ever reported by the US media, so that may play into it.

Unlike most of the family, Meghan successfully supported herself before joining the family, whether as a jobbing actor or a more prominent one. Not sure why that warrants such disparagement.

I was under the impression that H and M left because of relentless and brutal treatment of Meghan by the tabloid and right wing media; a lack of public support from the RF; the all in or all out ultimatum and the leaking to the press of ongoing negotiations which forced their hand (and which I've seen from sources other than H and M).

Maybe I'm just a bit cranky with the right wing press (both in Britain and here in Australia). These past weeks I finished a book about the Murdochs and the phone hacking scandal (absolutely gobsmacking); saw a prominent indigenous journalist step down from his role after relentless, often racist targeting in the RW press and social media over his daring to mention colonialism in a coronation broadcast; and an alleged survivor of sexual assault in Parliament having her court subpoenaed texts leaked and splashed over the front pages to discredit her.

Harry's not wrong about the way elements of the press operate; the overweening influence it often wields; or the way it regularly sets out to target and destroy reputations or even lives.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:36 AM, Ran said:

This nonsense randomly entered my podcast world when Bill Simmons of The Ringer was on his podcast. For those who don't know, he sold the company to Spotify and has become a pretty important executive there, focused on developing and monetizing podcasts. He has opinions, and apparently stories to tell that I'm guessing Spotify and Archewell would rather he not tell. He's not the most delicate or circumspect of people, suffice it to say, but then he's a Masshole so it comes with the territory:

I am planning on listening to what he said on this, haven't had time, but did just see this article with some quotes that made me laugh out loud:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jun/19/spotify-executive-calls-harry-and-meghan-grifters-after-podcast-deal-ends

“I wish I had been involved in the ‘Meghan and Harry leave Spotify’ negotiation. ‘The Fucking Grifters.’ That’s the podcast we should have launched with them,” Simmons said on his podcast, the Bill Simmons podcast. “I have got to get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry to try and help him with a podcast idea. It’s one of my best stories … Fuck them. The grifters.”

Lol, NVM its the same quote in that Twitter clip, still worth seeing it in print! 

Edited by Heartofice

On 6/18/2023 at 2:24 AM, Wall Flower said:

Maybe I'm just a bit cranky with the right wing press (both in Britain and here in Australia). These past weeks I finished a book about the Murdochs

You jerks let this monster grow and be set loose on the world. :P

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I am planning on listening to what he said on this, haven't had time, but did just see this article with some quotes that made me laugh out loud:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jun/19/spotify-executive-calls-harry-and-meghan-grifters-after-podcast-deal-ends

Lol, NVM its the same quote in that Twitter clip, still worth seeing it in print! 

Bill Simmons is an idiot who created two good things and has been riding on them ever since. He's the literal example that anyone can talk about sports and make a ton of money. Nothing he says has much value, he was just good at spotting other people who did.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bill Simmons is an idiot

Less an idiot and more a Masshole savant. Which is why he's willing to speak out about the bungled deal with Archewell, I suspect.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

who created two good things

The Ringer and Grantland  have proven great incubators for talent,  it's true, which Simmons seems to have an eye for. I assume 30 for 30 is the other great thing you mean, because it was his concept and pitch and executive produced it, but certainly he worked to find good directors like Billy Corben. He's gone on to produce a lot of other very good documentaries, like Woodstock 99, outside of that.

Besides that, his non-fiction books collecting his sportswriting have been NYT bestsellers. And now he's a top level exec at Spotify.

I don't know, the guy certainly has high-level knowledge of what went on in the Spotify-Archewell deal, personally was in touch with Prince Harry... so if he came out less than impressed and is willing to say it, I think it probably holds some significance above and beyond his being a Masshole.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:10 AM, Heartofice said:

if we needed any more proof of the racist nature of our society, Spotify have dropped Meghan’s lovely podcast because she was barely able to make any episodes, and nobody wanted to listen to her prattle on about herself during ‘interviews

It’s interesting how after months of these threads despite being constantly referenced a egregious attention-seeker(a worse one than the average celeb or Royal brat) I don’t think I’ve seen anyone bring up any recent statement from her to attack.

Its either statements she made years.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:47 AM, Heartofice said:

Royals don’t need to be ‘talented’, that’s the whole point.

Sigh. Yes the monarchy is primitive notion that can’t even give the justification the people who maintain it as being intrinsically and essentially better at what they do like other bigoted institutions do.
I hope I cause no disrespect.

18 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It’s interesting how after months of these threads despite being constantly referenced a egregious attention-seeker(a worse one than the average celeb or Royal brat) I don’t think I’ve seen anyone bring up any recent statement from her to attack.

Its either statements she made years.

Yes maybe she’s figured out that when she says stuff people like her less. I’m sure she is being advised to stop. 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes maybe she’s figured out that when she says stuff people like her less.

Omfg bro, I love this, like even you recognize that she hasn’t said anything in months possibly years for you to rage about specifically—and you honestly seem to think there’s no oddity and constantly howling about a woman for saying something you praised Chris rock for saying that royal family was racist.

When/if Britian progresses and shunts the monarchy I do expect/hope the hysteria around her will be looked at as bizarre and need of study. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Meg and Harry use the exact same strategy of 'friends and sources close to the couple say XX' to maintain control of the story without being directly quoted that they have criticized the royal family for using.

It was very recent that 'friends and sources' said that Harry and Meg intend to stop bashing the RF, and that Meg is in the midst of undergoing a 'rebranding' that will be more positive, and 'sources say' right now she is allegedly in negotiations for a Dior deal.  Also worth remembering that Harry's book came out 5 months ago, the 6 hour reality series was 6 months ago, and their award/car 'chase' event was only 1 month ago, Harry's testimony in court only a couple of weeks ago.  Not what I would really call a low profile.

Edited by Cas Stark

14 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Omfg bro, I love this, like even you recognize that she hasn’t said anything in months possibly years for you to rage about specifically—and you honestly seem to think there’s no oddity and constantly howling about a woman for saying something you praised Chris rock for saying that royal family was racist.

This is just word salad isn't it. 

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Meg and Harry use the exact same strategy of 'friends and sources close to the couple say XX' to maintain control of the story without being directly quoted that they have criticized the royal family for using.

It was very recent that 'friends and sources' said that Harry and Meg intend to stop bashing the RF, and that Meg is in the midst of undergoing a 'rebranding' that will be more positive, and 'sources say' right now she is allegedly in negotiations for a Dior deal.  Also worth remembering that Harry's book came out 5 months ago, and their award/car 'chase' event was only 1 month ago, Harry's testimony in court only a couple of weeks ago.  Not what I would really call a low profile.

Well exactly, it's not like Harry has been undercover recently, he was everywhere. I do think that they might be slowly learning from their mistakes however. I think the assumption was if they just got 'their truth' out there then the public would love them again (I mean isn't this really what it's all about), but really almost every strategy for improving their image by getting in front of a camera has massively backfired, because they mostly come across as whiney babies.. even to American audiences. 

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well exactly, it's not like Harry has been undercover recently, he was everywhere. I do think that they might be slowly learning from their mistakes however. I think the assumption was if they just got 'their truth' out there then the public would love them again (I mean isn't this really what it's all about), but really almost every strategy for improving their image by getting in front of a camera has massively backfired, because they mostly come across as whiney babies.. even to American audiences. 

I doubt it.  The 'near catastrophic car chase' fiasco was only a few weeks ago.  Harry seems still fully tilting at the windmill of changing the media, although granted they haven't sued anyone in a while.

You could certainly read the last six months as Meg making a conscious effort to uncouple herself from Harry's agenda, what that might mean in the long run, I guess we will find out.

Being called grifters by a Spotify exec, after it was revealed they didn't get their full pay out for lack of productivity can't be very good for their ability to create new multi million deals.  

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It isn’t unfortunately—I’m glad to see you not denying you praised Chris rock for saying Megan should expected the Royal  family to be racist.

This gives me hope.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

8 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It isn’t unfortunately—I’m glad to see you not denying you praised Chris rock for saying Megan should expected the Royal  family to be racist.

This gives me hope.

I mean I thought his jokes were pretty funny. I'm not sure what kinda gotcha you think you are getting here, otherwise do you need some balsamic with your posts?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Less an idiot and more a Masshole savant. Which is why he's willing to speak out about the bungled deal with Archewell, I suspect.

Masshole for sure, but Simmons doesn't actually make many good points and doesn't teach you anything or identify things the average sports fans can't see. Mike Greenberg is a perfect comp. He's very polished, but otherwise provides nothing and just wants to complain about his teams like Simmons. There are so many more talented commentators who just for whatever reason haven't had the same level of success. Personally I think it's because they want to talk about social issues and interweave them with sports. 

The Ringer and Grantland  have proven great incubators for talent,  it's true, which Simmons seems to have an eye for. I assume 30 for 30 is the other great thing you mean, because it was his concept and pitch and executive produced it, but certainly he worked to find good directors like Billy Corben. He's gone on to produce a lot of other very good documentaries, like Woodstock 99, outside of that.

Besides that, his non-fiction books collecting his sportswriting have been NYT bestsellers. And now he's a top level exec at Spotify.

I don't know, the guy certainly has high-level knowledge of what went on in the Spotify-Archewell deal, personally was in touch with Prince Harry... so if he came out less than impressed and is willing to say it, I think it probably holds some significance above and beyond his being a Masshole.

Okay, three things, but I'm not as high on The Ringer as others. What he is good at is what we both said, he can identify talent and is able to give them a lane. Simmons himself though is nothing more than some random guy you talk to at a bar while watching a game. He can't actually explain anything in a unique or special way. His ability to talk about social issues are equally pedestrian, hence why I wouldn't waste two seconds listening to him discussing M&H regardless if he supported them or hated them.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What he is good at is what we both said, he can identify talent and is able to give them a lane.

The corollary to the ability to spot talent is probably the ability to spot the lack of it, too. Which I think is maybe relevant to his assessment of the prince and duchess being when it came to their podcast deal. I suspect other people made the call on that deal, he probably wouldn't have seen a percentage in it.

31 minutes ago, Ran said:

The corollary to the ability to spot talent is probably the ability to spot the lack of it, too. Which I think is maybe relevant to his assessment of the prince and duchess being when it came to their podcast deal. I suspect other people made the call on that deal, he probably wouldn't have seen a percentage in it.

Perhaps, but I read it as he just doesn't like them and was hurt by a business deal going south. It's funny he's complaining about their lack of talent when he doesn't have any more than they do. None of the three should be anyone we're talking about, but that's the world today. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's funny he's complaining about their lack of talent when he doesn't have any more than they do.

You keep saying this claim that he has no talent, after acknowledging that he's created a number of things that require talent.

As a personality he's an everyman pop culture and sports crank, but as an impressario he has created and overseen multiple award-winning, chart-topping podcasts, documentaries, and books. He's very solidly talented.

In the podcast space, he has the talent and it seems Prince Harry and Meghan do not. No different than the running joke that was Renegades, the Obama-Springsteen podcast that was much ballyhooed but it turns out that most who listened to it fell asleep because there was no spark or energy, it was just bland because there was never any conflict. And no one can say Obama and Springsteen aren't very talented individuals... within certain spheres. But podcasters, it seems, they are not.

Chaos, drama and recriminations follow them wherever they go, whatever they do. 

There have long been industry rumors that Spotify was unhappy with the delay in getting any product out of them.  It's on record the insane number of producers and staff who worked on her podcast and that the Archewell person who had been in charge no longer works for them.  There are also rumors of, dare I say, grifter like demands, such as trying to bill Spotify for building a studio at their house.

No one would care about any of this if her podcast was really a hit and was bringing in millions in audience.  I would suggest that despite the PR about 'number 1' that was either a seriously massaged number 1 or there was a massive fall off after the first couple of episodes.  Even if the podcast wasn't generating a huge audience, it was still getting a huge amount of free media....which suggests that perhaps they are difficult to work with behind the scenes.

Part of the blame certainly rests with Spotify in giving $20M to two people with not much discernable talent or creativity.