On and On About Harry & Meghan Part 4

Fragile Bird

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I would approve if they renounced all their titles and became Mr. and Mrs. whatever,  and Harry and the children were out of the line of sucession.  As for their last name, I don't care.  Changing it to Spencer would just be more evidence of how nuts they are, but I don't have any objection to it.  I do expect that eventually when they've squeezed everything they can out of the monarchy that they will give up the titles and go full republican.

Yeah, because taking your moms maiden name is crazy. The fact that they and their children are in the line of succession and that makes the haters nuts, makes me happy. This is a monarchy. You don’t get a vote. 

3 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

He has the same job as the rest of the Royal family. Well, except for those ten years he spent in the army, including two tours of Afghanistan.

Yep. And one of those tours was cut short because the press couldn’t keep their fucking mouths shut. 

How about that Piers Morgan? Why didn’t he show up to give evidence, huh? Funny that.

5 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Judging by twitter, Meghan seems to drive a lot of people absolutely bonkers, so there seems to be a permanent full moon where she's concerned.

And again, she's boring and doesn't actually say that much. So why does she make people so uncomfortable? I wonder... 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And again, she's boring and doesn't actually say that much. So why does she make people so uncomfortable? I wonder... 

why does she annoy people is the better question and if it’s confusing for you then you clearly haven’t been listening these past 300 threads about it. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

why does she annoy people is the better question and if it’s confusing for you then you clearly haven’t been listening these past 300 threads about it. 

It's not confusing to me. She says very toned down things basically any black American woman would say about the situation she's in. And she gets crushed for it. She is a black foreigner marrying into the royal family during a time when xenophobia is on the rise. Yes she got nice coverage at first, but H&M became a thing before Brexit and as that ramped up she increasingly was harassed. Some of it was her own doing, but a lot of it was largely misplaced hate, because again, she doesn't actually say that much and it's not very controversial. Is she a jerk behind the scenes? Probably, but that's the norm with the royals. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not confusing to me. She says very toned down things basically any black American woman would say about the situation she's in. And she gets crushed for it. She is a black foreigner marrying into the royal family during a time when xenophobia is on the rise. Yes she got nice coverage at first, but H&M became a thing before Brexit and as that ramped up she increasingly was harassed. Some of it was her own doing, but a lot of it was largely misplaced hate, because again, she doesn't actually say that much and it's not very controversial. Is she a jerk behind the scenes? Probably, but that's the norm with the royals. 

It’s like you watched her documentary, listened to her interviews and lapped up every word without ever engaging your critical thinking facility. Oh well. 

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s like you watched her documentary, listened to her interviews and lapped up every word without ever engaging your critical thinking facility. Oh well. 

I think I've seen two interviews she's done. Like I've said repeatedly, she's boring and what she's said has been pretty mild. The overwhelmingly negative response is the telling part.

ETA: But it shouldn't surprise anyone that a black woman moving to a new country feels racism and xenophobia at a time when racism and xenophobia are on the rise. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

ETA: But it shouldn't surprise anyone that a black woman moving to a new country feels racism and xenophobia at a time when racism and xenophobia are on the rise. 

I wonder if it would have been better or worse for them if she was 'really black' as in very dark skinned.

Would the press have been more worried about being tarred with the racism brush?  Or would they have gone full on with it? 

I didn't even know she was black for a long time. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I wonder if it would have been better or worse for them if she was 'really black' as in very dark skinned.

Would the press have been more worried about being tarred with the racism brush?  Or would they have gone full on with it? 

I didn't even know she was black for a long time. 

Idk if the passing angle would have worked. She's still foreign and that alone would be an issue if she criticized the royal family. It does seem like it's a situation where Brits can shit on them  and it's okay, but if you're an outsider and do so you're attacking a lot of people personally. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12220585/amp/Sir-Trevor-Phillips-claims-Britain-NOT-racist-says-Meghan-Harry-squandered-opportunity.html

I’ll agree that the mail has turned what Phillips said into a story about Meghan ( what it was probably only a small part of what he was saying, maybe just answering a direct question, I dunno), which is part of the Mail’s standard clickbait behaviour.

But other than that, Phillips is totally correct in what he’s saying, which I know upsets people like Tywin who want to believe so badly in their fiction. The reality is Britain really isn’t a racist society at all, far from it, and Meghan isn’t disliked because of her race, in fact most people didn’t care or were welcoming of her due to her race. It’s her behaviour as a self pitying indulgent liar that caused her to be disliked… plus her playing the race card I guess. 

The 'spike' is because there is been a lot of news about them lately.  There was the 'car chase'. Harry's court testimony.  Then, Spotify dropped them.  This did seem to have opened the gates a bit, with insiders spilling details the public hadn't heard before.  They didn't get the full Spotify payout.  Bill Simmons called them fucking grifters.  Specifics about their dumb podcast ideas are coming out.   Kelly Osborn went on a rant.  Also, someone, probably H&M, floated the Dior deal and that was a news cycle.  Now, still more is coming out about their Netflix deal and ideas.

With respect, trolling through social media accounts from their weird fanbase the #sussexsquad, suggests perhaps others need to get out and touch grass.  

Lastly, I hate to be a stickler, but Meghan Markle isn't 'black' she is biracial, a black mother and a white father.  If I met her on the street my first thought on her ethnicity would probably be Italian or South American.  With her hair straight she looks completely racially ambiguious, she could be any of about a dozen various ethnicities and nationalities.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Lastly, I hate to be a stickler, but Meghan Markle isn't 'black' she is biracial, a black mother and a white father.  If I met her on the street my first thought on her ethnicity would probably be Italian or South American.  With her hair straight she looks completely racially ambiguious, she could be any of about a dozen various ethnicities and nationalities.

If it weren’t for the fact that I am about to leave my house I’d leave a much longer answer, but holy crap, it’s 2023, wake up to the reality of what many white people think about biracial people. Hint: they ain’t white.

But then again, our English neighbours back in the 60s didn’t consider Italians white other. Or Portuguese or Spanish people. 

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

If it weren’t for the fact that I am about to leave my house I’d leave a much longer answer, but holy crap, it’s 2023, wake up to the reality of what many white people think about biracial people. Hint: they ain’t white.

But then again, our English neighbours back in the 60s didn’t consider Italians white other. Or Portuguese or Spanish people. 

An absolutely wild "well ackchyually". Please, the fremdschämen is too much.

20 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I’d suggest most people in the UK were not even aware she wasn’t 100% Caucasian. Her own agent wasn’t even aware of the fact. That’s what makes her playing the race card most bizarre, that she falls back on it to garner sympathy without even a shred of evidence. And you wonder why she might be unpopular ?

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The 60s were 60 years ago.  Times and attitudes have changes since then.