NBA Playoffs - Joker's Wild

Relic

52 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Porzingis feels like a very potent 3rd option if he can get/stay healthy. 

That's a big if and I don't get the fit with Time Lord. Plus he's probably a lesser player than Smart.

Anyways, draft night baby. Sounds like Scoot might not go second and tonight seems like there could be a lot of trades. 

I enjoy my new job at a cocktail lounge sans TV, but nights like this I wish I could stash my laptop back there somewhere to see all the trade tweets. I do wish the actual broadcast was still relevant vs the flurry of tweet bombs that are always several minutes ahead. Still it's one of my favorite nights in sports despite my shit team not having a 1st rounder this year.

I'm pretty sad to lose Marcus Smart. Occasionally infuriating, but he always seemed to be able to make some game-changing improbable play at the end of games.

I understand the logic getting Porzingis. Wish they could have dealt Brogdon instead.

I guess Derrick White becomes the starting PG and hopefully Porzingis stays healthy and lets Horford rest more.

Not that anyone really knows once you get outside of the first few picks (and even then it's a crap shoot), but good for the Wolves to trade a few second rounders to move up and grab a guy who was in the top 20 on some mock boards. 

Man I gotta say I'm a bit sad to have gotten off work well past midnight with no clue how things played out- and... nothing? Where were all the big trades and wild reach picks?! What a snore of a draft.  Ps the Warriors ain't gonna make the WCF. And relegate the Wizards to the Gatorare League.

7 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Man I gotta say I'm a bit sad to have gotten off work well past midnight with no clue how things played out- and... nothing? Where were all the big trades and wild reach picks?! What a snore of a draft.  Ps the Warriors ain't gonna make the WCF. And relegate the Wizards to the Gatorare League.

The Wizards are doing what they should have done 4-5 years ago. If I were a bullets fan I'd be happy.

17 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

The Wizards are doing what they should have done 4-5 years ago. If I were a bullets fan I'd be happy.

Happy is a little strong.  Basically every move the past 4 years has been done wrong.  The Wizards don't even have their first round pick next year.  It is top 12 protected, but it's just indicative of how dysfunctional this team is that they would be trading away first rounders when they were never even close to contending. 

This teardown that should have happened in 2020 or 2021 or 2022 is finally happening, and better now than next year.  The laughably small haul that they are getting from this fire sale (thus far like 5 second rounders, 1 top 20 protected first rounder and Poole) is because they waited until all their assets spoiled rather than selling when there was actually a market for them. 

But yes, 3 years too late is better than waiting until 2024 or 2025.  With good luck, drafting and development (not likely, but I suppose it's possible) the Wizards could be relevant again by like the 2028 season. 

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Happy is a little strong.  Basically every move the past 4 years has been done wrong.  The Wizards don't even have their first round pick next year.  It is top 12 protected, but it's just indicative of how dysfunctional this team is that they would be trading away first rounders when they were never even close to contending. 

This teardown that should have happened in 2020 or 2021 or 2022 is finally happening, and better now than next year.  The laughably small haul that they are getting from this fire sale (thus far like 5 second rounders, 1 top 20 protected first rounder and Poole) is because they waited until all their assets spoiled rather than selling when there was actually a market for them. 

But yes, 3 years too late is better than waiting until 2024 or 2025.  With good luck, drafting and development (not likely, but I suppose it's possible) the Wizards could be relevant again by like the 2028 season. 

I kind of think your team is actually going to be better at least to watch next year and has a direction.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:06 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Based on what? They're going to be terrible in all likelihood. 

Based on it is a new team?  You don't have to watch Beal pay attention to one side of the floor and even then not etc.  Tyus Jones and Poole actually could be a decent backcourt. Glass is half full whereas the glass has been certainly empty the last 5 years. I'd say it would be more fun just to get off the mediocrity train. Lose or win.

31 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Based on it is a new team?  You don't have to watch Beal pay attention to one side of the floor and even then not etc.  Tyus Jones and Poole actually could be a decent backcourt. Glass is half full whereas the glass has been certainly empty the last 5 years. I'd say it would be more fun just to get off the mediocrity train. Lose or win.

They're both backups. Tyus is competent but has a low ceiling and Poole was unplayable at times during the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They're both backups. Tyus is competent but has a low ceiling and Poole was unplayable at times during the playoffs. 

And? Poole was great in the playoffs the year before on a team where he wasn't punched in the face by a teammate.

3 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

And? Poole was great in the playoffs the year before on a team where he wasn't punched in the face by a teammate.

He was solid, let's slowdown on great, and that's when his contract was cheap. He can't defend at all which made him unplayable at times this postseason. Don't get it twisted, the Warriors dumped his salary. CP3 doesn't really help them, but he is an adult and from what I'm listening to suggests the team overall disliked the dude who got punched in the face more than the dude that sucker punched him. I would call that telling. Poole will average a lot of points and not much else on a team that struggles to win 30 games this year.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He was solid, let's slowdown on great, and that's when his contract was cheap. He can't defend at all which made him unplayable at times this postseason. Don't get it twisted, the Warriors dumped his salary. CP3 doesn't really help them, but he is an adult and from what I'm listening to suggests the team overall disliked the dude who got punched in the face more than the dude that sucker punched him. I would call that telling. Poole will average a lot of points and not much else on a team that struggles to win 30 games this year.

You must be real fun at parties.