Victarion Greyjoy being Azor Ahai Reborn would objectively be hilarious

Here’s an admission: I was slow to realize just how stupid Vic is. I chalked so much up to just living his ethos, I didn’t bother to think about all the shit that gets past him. I mean, I knew he wasn’t exactly bright, but I thought more ~ normal to below normal with a single-minded outlook. Part of this was my big feeling of letdown with Dorne and the IB, whose depiction was not imo as fully formed and interesting as the rest of Westeros, though it had intriguing potential. But still, looking back, I wonder how I missed it. 

42 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Here’s an admission: I was slow to realize just how stupid Vic is. I chalked so much up to just living his ethos,

I also wasn't really focused on calculating his IQ, but I just found the part where we are inside his brain when he is fighting horrifying. He seems more fully 'with it' than at any other time in his POV, but its because he is so focused on killing and he has such a physical advantage its a bit like being inside some animal predator that is a bit exciting but just takes dispatching its prey for granted - my cat casually whopping an insect and putting it in her mouth, for example. The fact that he gives a sort of formal mental nod to Talbert Serry for showing some bravery while he is killing him just made it worse.

9 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I also wasn't really focused on calculating his IQ, but I just found the part where we are inside his brain when he is fighting horrifying. He seems more fully 'with it' than at any other time in his POV, but its because he is so focused on killing and he has such a physical advantage its a bit like being inside some animal predator that is a bit exciting but just takes dispatching its prey for granted - my cat casually whopping an insect and putting it in her mouth, for example. The fact that he gives a sort of formal mental nod to Talbert Serry for showing some bravery while he is killing him just made it worse.

and he keeps thinking Serry poisoned his blade, realizes knights don’t poison their weapons, and then immediately blames the maester. Instead of realizing his woolens just infected.

Honestly, I think Victarion will live much longer than most readers predict. He will manage to get his dragon, the girl (Dany - Vic being her second 'bride of fire') and his revenge on Euron, but die afterwards (just like Daemon died not long after killing Aemond).

The 'Dumb barbarian' will get lucky and 'outsmart' the 'evil sorcerer'. 

Edited by csuszka1948

Yes, it would. 

I think you might have hit on something though. I think the whole burnt hand thing might be part of the Azor Ahai mythos and that Moqorro is trying to manipulate prophecies like Melissandre does.

Because guess who else has a burnt hand? Jon.

Euron fits in as well as he has a bloody eye like Jon.

My guess is that the Greyjoy bros are supposed to be false candidates for whatever role Jon is meant to play in the prophecy. 

He is, and he will face the Great Other once he reveals his secret identity.

Which I have found: the Great Other is secretly in southern Westeros this whole time and is Taena’s husband.

I figured it out by seeing his name on the  page and folding it like a Mad Magazine. Thus O-rton Merrywea-THER becomes OTHER. It all fits, the Myrish Swamp, everything. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know about Victarion being Azor Ahai, but recently looking at his first TWOW sample chapter I became fully convinced that he is Dany's second 'bride of fire'. Compare the described scene in the House of Undying

"a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly"

to this scene:

"Victarion had given Wulf his best fighters. He envied them. They would be the first to strike a blow, the first to see that look of fear in the foemen's eyes. As he stood at the prow of the Iron Victory watching One-Ear's merchant ships vanish one by one into the west, the faces of the first foes he'd ever slain came back to Victarion Greyjoy. He thought of his first ship, of his first woman. A restlessness was in him, a hunger for the dawn and the things this day would bring. Death or glory, I will drink my fill of both today. The Seastone Chair should've been his when Balon died, but his brother Euron had stolen it from him, just as he had stolen his wife many years before. He stole her and he soiled her, but he left it for me to slay her.

All that was done and gone now, though. Victarion would have his due at last. I have the horn, and soon I will have the woman. A woman lovelier than the wife he made me kill."

It really has a melancholy feel to it, with Victarion brighly looking ahead of the future while sadly thinking back at the past (in a self-pitying way of course, he was forced to kill his wife!).

Edited by csuszka1948

On 6/8/2023 at 6:49 PM, James Arryn said:

Here’s an admission: I was slow to realize just how stupid Vic is. I chalked so much up to just living his ethos, I didn’t bother to think about all the shit that gets past him. I mean, I knew he wasn’t exactly bright, but I thought more ~ normal to below normal with a single-minded outlook. Part of this was my big feeling of letdown with Dorne and the IB, whose depiction was not imo as fully formed and interesting as the rest of Westeros, though it had intriguing potential. But still, looking back, I wonder how I missed it. 

Are you a native english speaker? I was also slow to realize how dumb Victarion is, but that's because of translation. The spanish translation makes him sound more taciturn, solemn and stubborn than stupid. The english translation is much more evident on this: the phrasings of his talks, of his memories and in general his views of his circumstances. To me, it was chiefly because on what was lost in translation.

My favourite theory of mine also happens to be the least popular on here, but it does concern Victarion's 'glorious' fate that awaits him: not as Azor Ahai, but as a soul absorbed into Viserion by blowing the Dragonbinder horn.

If you're a fan of flaky symbolism and unhinged reasoning, check it out here :) 

Edited by Sandy Clegg

17 hours ago, Jon Fossoway said:

Are you a native english speaker? I was also slow to realize how dumb Victarion is, but that's because of translation. The spanish translation makes him sound more taciturn, solemn and stubborn than stupid. The english translation is much more evident on this: the phrasings of his talks, of his memories and in general his views of his circumstances. To me, it was chiefly because on what was lost in translation.

I'm a native English speaker and it went over my head the first time. But I was also speed reading his POVs since I thought they were boring, at the time.