UK Politics: Striking at the heart of the nation

polishgenius

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Is there something in the water?

Mostly sewerage these days.

Both involved knives, with 1 fatality between them (despite Mr Stabby #1's best efforts) - thank gods we don't have particularly many guns here, despite "you do know there are more guns in the country?"

56 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

That's the second headline-making story from your neck of the woods. Is there something in the water?

I hope not, I was there at the weekend.

The BBC story is apparently rubbish, according to the lawyer for the young person involved. Sounding like the Sun has gone back to its usual (lack of) journalistic integrity 

BBC: Claims about presenter 'rubbish' - young person's lawyer https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66159357

39 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

The BBC story is apparently rubbish, according to the lawyer for the young person involved. Sounding like the Sun has gone back to its usual (lack of) journalistic integrity 

BBC: Claims about presenter 'rubbish' - young person's lawyer https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66159357

Apparently the Sun have had the story since May, and there’s speculation the timing is due to the Osborne email and   4pm today being the deadline for Johnson’s whatsapp messages to be handed over (which he has failed to do)

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Then you should be well protected from the next Mr Stabby

I mean, not going to lie, when you've spent the weekend in Tewkesbury waving swords and knives around for the edification of the public and then someone stabs a person the next morning, that does give me a shiver.

Sorry, I'm trying to find humour in tragedy.

Pretty sure I know the guy (I know 3 maths teachers there, dunno how many there are).

Last one was 4 doors down from me at home, and my Mrs would have been walking past if she hadn't decided to go the other way around the block.

I get the chills anyway.

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Apparently the mother is sticking by her version of events. I’m not sure how reliable the statements of her daughter are given her addiction and pressure put on her by this presenter.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Sorry, I'm trying to find humour in tragedy.

Pretty sure I know the guy (I know 3 maths teachers there, dunno how many there are).

Last one was 4 doors down from me at home, and my Mrs would have been walking past if she hadn't decided to go the other way around the block.

I get the chills anyway.

No worries. Much worse for you, this sort of thing happening in your community.

As for the BBC story, an earlier report alluded to this, suggesting that there had been no follow up after an initial report. I wondered then if the issue was that the girl was not willing to make a complaint and that the family are the ones pushing this. That's a tricky situation for any organisation. No complainant, the police unable or unwilling to make out a criminal offence. It's a legal minefield as an employer.

I'm not happy about the description of a 17 year old as a 'child', notwithstanding ,my earlier remarks about power imbalance, which still stand. If I had to guess I'd say some inappropriate but not illegal contact has been going on. Ironically all the media coverage helps the BBC here, as it creates a genuine reason to dismiss, because of the damage to the organisation.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Apparently the mother is sticking by her version of events. I’m not sure how reliable the statements of her daughter are given her addiction and pressure put on her by this presenter.

Yep. I wouldn't bet my life. But I'd bet a big chunk of cash it happened roughly the way initially reported. 

I'd hope a serving police officer would know better than to cast doubt on the credibilty of a witness who is as yet unidentified, on the grounds that she is allegedly a drug user. There is no reason drug users can't be credible witnesses.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

I'd hope a serving police officer would know better than to cast doubt on the credibilty of a witness who is as yet unidentified, on the grounds that she is allegedly a drug user. There is no reason drug users can't be credible witnesses.

When there is someone with something to gain and someone else with not much to gain. The rule of thumb is to beleive the person with nothing to gain. And I haven't been following that closely. I'd didn't know they were a drug addict. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Alleged addiction. We’re relying on The Scum for much of this.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

I mean, not going to lie, when you've spent the weekend in Tewkesbury waving swords and knives around for the edification of the public and then someone stabs a person the next morning, that does give me a shiver.

Hearts and minds.

At least we’ee not America, in all seriousness. The one positive of the Dunblane horror is the tighter gun laws.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Just now, Heartofice said:

Unless there is some other reason the mother is making these claims other than trying to protect her daughter then yeah I’m inclined to believe the allegations 

Which does seem somewhat possible. The motives of people giving stories to the Sun can sometimes not be entirely pure.

Just now, A wilding said:

Which does seem somewhat possible. The motives of people giving stories to the Sun can sometimes not be entirely pure.

Yeah and that might be the case, but also hard to see what she would really gain from it other than destroying her daughters life if it wasn’t true. It makes no sense for her to make these claims if there were no truth in it