If Rhaegar had Blackfyre or Dark Sister

Maegor_the_Cool

I believe that he could have had one if Bloodraven had wanted him to, so either Bloodraven felt it wouldn't have made a difference and didn't send it down to protect it from falling into Robert's hands, or he knew it would make a difference and didn't send it down because Robert's Rebellion was something that he didn't want to prevent (and perhaps he had already decided that Blackfyre would go to Rhaegar's son). I kind of think it would have made a difference, especially in his showdown with Robert, but I wonder if we won't hear from BR himself about that one at some point.

40 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I believe that he could have had one if Bloodraven had wanted him to, so either Bloodraven felt it wouldn't have made a difference and didn't send it down to protect it from falling into Robert's hands, or he knew it would make a difference and didn't send it down because Robert's Rebellion was something that he didn't want to prevent (and perhaps he had already decided that Blackfyre would go to Rhaegar's son). I kind of think it would have made a difference, especially in his showdown with Robert, but I wonder if we won't hear from BR himself about that one at some point.

So you believe Bloodraven Orchestrated everything?

17 minutes ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

So you believe Bloodraven Orchestrated everything?

Essentially, yes.

Even if he didn't though, we know he has at least Dark Sister if not both swords and we know he has the means to have seen what was going on and even if the extent of his powers is what we've seen from him so far, he could have managed to have an agent or two courier them down to Rhaegar if he felt that was what he wanted to do.

Edited by Aejohn the Conqueroo

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

If Valyrian steel was that strong then wouldn't people just refuse to fight those with Valyrian steel swords?

Hard to refuse to fight a man when it's in the middle of battle and the guy with the Valyrian steel is barreling down on you.

Just now, Canon Claude said:

Hard to refuse to fight a man when it's in the middle of battle and the guy with the Valyrian steel is barreling down on you.

I mean in tourneys we see people with normal swords fight those with Valyrian steel swords, if one sword is capable of cutting through armour, it would just be an overwhelming advantage as well as probably making it able to cut through the other's weapon. So if VS swords were that powerful people wouldn't fight those that had them in tourneys...?

Apparently, King Jaehaerys who was never noted to be particularly great warrior could slay whoever he wanted with Blackfyre, even as an old man (FaB writing...). With that etablished we can supposed that Rhaegar could have easily "one shot" Robert and put an end to the rebellion.

Another scenario would be that while a Valyrian sword provide a great improvement to whoever wield it, it doesn't turn one into The Sword of Morning. So in spite it all, Robert might still have slain Rhaegar, the same way Criston Cole was able to defeat a Dark Sister armed Aemon Targaryen at the melee of King Viserys's tourney.

14 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I mean in tourneys we see people with normal swords fight those with Valyrian steel swords, if one sword is capable of cutting through armour, it would just be an overwhelming advantage as well as probably making it able to cut through the other's weapon. So if VS swords were that powerful people wouldn't fight those that had them in tourneys...?

This

It was already an even fight and this just adds an advantage. The sword is lighter, harder,stronger and retains a  razor edge easier vs regular steel. 

Rhaegar is the faster man and this just means hel strike/parry  even faster and hit harder and the steel bite deeper into any openings (robert was wounded) .He wont tire as easily either.

16 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I believe that he could have had one if Bloodraven had wanted him to, so either Bloodraven felt it wouldn't have made a difference and didn't send it down to protect it from falling into Robert's hands, or he knew it would make a difference and didn't send it down because Robert's Rebellion was something that he didn't want to prevent (and perhaps he had already decided that Blackfyre would go to Rhaegar's son). I kind of think it would have made a difference, especially in his showdown with Robert, but I wonder if we won't hear from BR himself about that one at some point."

"Wanted him to?". C'mon, Bloodrave was gone like 20 years before the Bobellion even started.

1 hour ago, astarkchoice said:

This

It was already an even fight and this just adds an advantage. The sword is lighter, harder,stronger and retains a  razor edge easier vs regular steel. 

Rhaegar is the faster man and this just means hel strike/parry  even faster and hit harder and the steel bite deeper into any openings (robert was wounded) .He wont tire as easily either.

Yeah, I agree. It would give Rhaegar an advantage but I don't think it is an instant-win button...

2 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Agreed

They were evenly matched fighters so any advantage will probably tip the balance

On the other hand if Rhaegar has Blackfyre, unless it magically teleported into his hand right before the battle, Robert probably knows that Rhaegar will be wielding Blackfyre so Robert might change his strategy...

8 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

On the other hand if Rhaegar has Blackfyre, unless it magically teleported into his hand right before the battle, Robert probably knows that Rhaegar will be wielding Blackfyre so Robert might change his strategy...

Theree not  too much he can change ..its still a  sword. I think he was always planning to avoid it as best he could

1 hour ago, sifth said:

It would put the odds in Rhaegar's favor. Both were evenly matched, but from what we've seen, Valyrian Steel cuts through armor like butter.

Putting aside what we’ve seen, how strong is Valyrian steel supposed to be in the books?

On 7/24/2023 at 4:32 PM, Jon Snowfyre said:

hella injured

No, he was not.

To your question, who knows? This is fantasy.

13 hours ago, Kal-L said:

King Jaehaerys who was never noted to be particularly great warrior

Jaeharys was actually a pretty good warrior.

Also those he fought weren't Kingsguards either so...

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Valyrian Steel cuts through armor like butter.

Funnily enough, we've not seen that.

16 minutes ago, frenin said:

Jaeharys was actually a pretty good warrior.

Where was it said ? I never read about it.

Also those he fought weren't Kingsguards either so...

And ? You don't need to be part of the Kingsguard to be a great warrior, in fact some of them can be lame compared to others knights. Barristan Selmy is an exception, not the norm.