THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

LongRider

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

No. No. No. No. No.  And I never watched it.  But I have watched A&E P&P often.  Also the BBC's first Mansfield Park (1983) -- so very, very, very Clever.

Hater. I've watched both and know what the better version is.

25 September

1764 Fletcher Christian, born this date, seaman and leading mutineer on HMS Bounty, under the command of William Bligh.

1609 Galileo Galilei demonstrates his first telescope to Venetian lawmakers.

1948 The House Un-American Activities Committee holds first-ever televised congressional hearing: “Confrontation Day” between Whittaker Chambers and Alger Hiss.

1950 President Harry Truman orders the US Army to seize control of the nation’s railroads to avert a strike.

1991 Belarus gains its independence from the Soviet Union

26 September

Happy Stanislav Petrov Day to all who celebrate!

1983 Stanislav Petrov did not report incoming American nukes because he was convinced that the this was a false alarm.  He was correct and his actions prevented Soviet retaliation and possible nuclear war.  NPR article here: Soviet Officer Stanislav Petrov, 'The Man Who Saved The World,' Dies At 77 : The Two-Way : NPR

1970 The then new feminist movement, led by Betty Friedan, leads a nation-wide Women’s Strike for Equality.

1977 The Charter of the French Language is adopted by the National Assembly of Quebec.

1980 John Birges plants a bomb at Harvey’s Resort Hotel in Stateline, Nevada, US.   (I was there!  Harvey Wall Bangers were the drink of the day!) 

27 September

1859 Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world’s first commercially successful oil well.

1927 Five Canadian women file a petition to the Supreme Court of Canada, asking, “Does the word ‘Persons’in Section 24 of the British North America Act, 1867, include female persons?”

1939  First flight of the turbojet-powered Heinkel He 178, the world’s first jet aircraft.

1962 Rachel Carson's Silent Spring was published, and it became one of the most-influential books in the modern environmental movement.

1962 The Mariner 2 unmanned space mission is launched to Venus by NASA.

28 September

1865 Elizabeth Garrett passes her medical exams to become the first woman qualified as a doctor in Britain. Of the three candidates to pass the exam that day, Garrett scored the highest.

1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom: Martin Luther King, Jr. gives his I Have a Dream speech.

1833 The Slavery Abolition Act 1833 receives Royal Assent, abolishing slavery through most the British Empire.

1916 Jack Vance, American author born this day.

1986 Florence Welch, British singer (Florence + the Machine) born this day.

28. September

1066 A young lad named Guillaume lands with a couple of mates on a sparsely populated Island on Europe's shores and becomes known as William the Conqueror.

1745 God Save the King gets played for the first time.

1864 the IAA gets founded in England. It was the first International Labour Association

1871 Brazil win the first World Cup. The Senate passes Lei Do Vetre Livre (law of the free belly) as a first step to abolish slavery (In Brazil). Children of salves were from then on considered to be free (free belly law, but I repeat myself)

1885 Brazil wins a second World Cup. Lei dos Sexagenarios gets passed. The law of the 60 year old states that all slaves above the age of 60 are to be released.

1893 Porto FC gets founded.

1928 Alexander Flemming invents/discovers Penicillin. Same day the Comedian Harmonists give their debut performance in Berlin.

1980 The infamouse Jimmy's World article by Janet Cooke gets published in the Washington Post. That work of fiction went on to win a Pulitzer.

1987 Stra Trek TNG premieres in the US.

1990 Nintendo's game boy hits the European market.

Happy Birthday_

1905 Max Schmeling

1924 Marcello Mastroianni

1938 Ben E. King

1952 Sylvia Kristel

1968 Mika Häkkninen and Naomi Watts

1987 Hillary Duff

Also a number of notable deaths (Melville, Boeing, Miles Davis, Pierre Trudeau and John Paul I)

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

28. September

1088 A young lad named Guillaume lands with a couple of mates on a sparsely populated Island on Europe's shores and becomes known as William the Conqueror.

ahem the year is 1066 and I would have posted this on 14 Oct, which is when the Battle of Hastings takes place, as only then does he really cement his crown.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

ahem the year is 1066 and I would have posted this on 14 Oct, which is when the Battle of Hastings takes place, as only then does he really cement his crown.

Oops and thanks. Was a long day.

29 September

708  Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708).

1758  The first American Indian Reservation is established, at Indian Mills, New Jersey.

1835  The city of Melbourne, Australia is founded.

1885  Gottlieb Daimler patents the world’s first internal combustion motorcycle, the Reitwagen.

1961  Julia Gillard, who in 2010 became Australia's first female prime minister, was born in Wales.

106 BCE   Pompey the Great, Roman Statesman born

1943  Lech Wałęsa, labour activist who helped form and led (1980–90) communist Poland’s first independent trade union, Solidarity.  Born this date.

Edited by LongRider