THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

LongRider

What happened in today's date?  Do you have an ancestor who did their part, large or small, in an historic event?  Want to remember a sporting event on this date?  Celebrate the birthday of famous or infamous person?  What happened on this day?

August 1, 1943 the US Army Air Forces bombed the oil refineries in Ploesti, Romania in Operation Tidal Wave.  Out of 178 B-24 Liberator bombers that started the mission, 88 returned.  My father was a co-pilot on the B-24 'Daisy Mae' which took battle damage, and he was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross for this mission.  Here is a photo of the Daisy Mae showing some of the battle damage, that is not my father in the photo. 

Edited by LongRider

Today marks the anniversary of a giant race riot that took place in Philadelphia in 1842. It was just one of many such violent encounters between Irish immigrants and African Americans across the mid 19th century. I'm hoping I don't have ancestors who took part, but given my extended family I won't hold my breath.

49 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Today marks the anniversary of a giant race riot that took place in Philadelphia in 1842. It was just one of many such violent encounters between Irish immigrants and African Americans across the mid 19th century. I'm hoping I don't have ancestors who took part, but given my extended family I won't hold my breath.

That's interesting, never heard about it before.  

It's Yorkshire Day. It's not a historical event – more of a cosmological and theological one, this being God's Own County. Presentiments and secret signs of the coming of a new Jerusalem can be caught today around Barnsley. 

It's also the date of the Battle of Minden, a battle I hadn't remotely heard of until going on Wikipedia. The article quotes in extensively from a letter by one of the participants, one Lt. Hugh Montgomery. 

This thread could really boost my post count.

Edited by dog-days

Jerry Garcia, the greatest American composer after Ellington and Mingus, was born this day in 1942.  

Eta: and that's why you should read the entire thread before you post:

I hope that @DMC is out there somewhere making a toast to Jerry Garica, born on this day, August 1, 1942.

Edited by Larry of the Lake

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Jerry Garcia, the greatest American composer after Ellington and Mingus, was born this day in 1942.  

Eta: and that's why you should read the entire thread before you post:

Don't get high on your own supply.

Speaking of which, on this day the devil's lettuce became fully legal here in Minny. Fuck yeah! 

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I don't know Mingus.  And I'm not sure how much Duke Ellington composed versus performed and improvised.  And don't know enough about jazz history to put him as a clear number one.  

But I rank Frank Zappa ahead of Jerry Garcia for composition.

As far as August 1 goes though, I'd nominate 1996 for the obvious meta reason.  aGoT was published.

21 hours ago, LongRider said:

I hope that @DMC is out there somewhere making a toast to Jerry Garica, born on this day, August 1, 1942.

:cheers:     :smoking:

I'd like to think he is busy writing this Dian Fossey style book about life in Florida.

If so, I have the perfect title for it.

Hemorrhoids and Bum Sex - life in Florida observation by a Political Scientist.

It is the perfect book title. Guaranteed #1 best seller on the New York fucking Times.

I seriously miss DMC, too. Believe it or not. Just check his profile, he is still dropping in to read now and then.

But fine.

Today in 1939 Einstein signs Szilard's letter warning President Roosevelt of the dangers of a potential German nuke. Leading ultiamtely to the craetion of the American nuke. Very same day Wes Craven was born.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:24 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The XI Olympics are opened by a certain A. Hitler in Berlin (1936). Which also happens to be the birthday of Yves Saint Laurent (true story).

On August 3, 1936 the US track and field athlete, Jesse Owens, an African American, won the 100 m dash with a time of 10.3 seconds, and went on to win a total 4 gold medals.

48 minutes ago, LongRider said:

On August 3, 1936 the US track and field athlete, Jesse Owens, an African American, won the 100 m dash with a time of 10.3 seconds, and went on to win a total 4 gold medals.

Day one of making Hitler sad would be more accurate.