Football: So it begins

Raja

So watching the women's world cup and am in awe at Japan's ridiculous fast break and strike attacks that have just crushed everyone, including what I thought was a great side in Spain.

What does one do to defend against this kind of team?

PL teams have wondered the same for ages re: Liverpool, who aren't Japan per se, but who break with lightning speed whenever they win the ball.

Answer seems to be one of three, I think: either sit back and let them control the ball - and try to hit them on the break, or be good enough not to lose possession when you dominate, or - if you have the players for it - long balls to tall strikers who can make a mess in the Japan 16-yard box.

Maguire to West Ham seems like it's a done deal. I think that's a pretty good move for all involved.

ETA: And Ward-Prowse too apparently. That one's a little bit surprising, it didn't seem like there was much movement on that front. Probably not ideal for Liverpool's pursuit of Lavia.

Edited by ljkeane

Yeah, I'm not sure why United rejected the bid in the first place. £30m is a fair price for Maguire and we get his wages off the books too. He only made 16 starts in all competitions for us last season so was clearly well down the pecking order. And while it's a loss compared to what we paid, in accounting terms, a £30m fee can be recorded as a small profit on the books due to amortisation.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

After you sign Pavard, please primarily use him as RB. :P

If we do get Pavard then he should get plenty of game time at CB. Varane is injury prone and also needs his game time to be managed. Last season he was relatively injury free but still only played in a little over half of United's games.

Btw, a question for someone well versed in Bundesliga. Why was Pavard being used as a RB instead of CB at Bayern. Was Upamecano better than him at CB because every time I watch Upamecano play last season, he ranged from poor to bang average - the guy seems to have some serious concentration issues.

Edited by Consigliere

Are West Ham the circus team of this summer or what?

Rice sold for insane fee, multiple coaches leaving, multiple players wanting out (including Aaron Cresswell--who is refusing to train after 9 seasons of being a perfect pro and extremely loyal servant to the club), Borges signing hijacked at the last minute by Ajax, new technical director reportedly butting heads with Moyes leading to no signings for the first 2 months of the transfer window, now a rush of big money transfers in the space of a few days.  And Paqueta.  I can barely keep up.

5 minutes ago, Nas! said:

Are West Ham the circus team of this summer or what?

Wolves have had a poor window as well. So bad that Lopetegui up and fucked off a few days before the start of the season. Given the signings coming in for West Ham, it looks like Moyes has won the battle of wills.

Because he can reliably play it and the CB position was very crowded, while the RB position at Bayern wasn't. They have been trying to find a proper counterpart to Davies on the opposite side for years. Kimmich wants to play DM/CM.

Last season they brought in Mezraoui from Ajax, who played some after he found his footing, but then he was out with a myocarditis in January,  when he came back Nagelsmann had been replaced by Tuchel, who just tried to get the season over the finish line. Anyway, next alternative would be Stanisic, who ahs turned 23 in April and is sorta inconsistent (probably not good enough to play regularly).

In contrast in the centre they had de Ligt, Upamecano, Hernandez (well, in theory at least).

Since I mentioned Davies. He has been acting up a bit, about wanting to play further up the pitch as winger and not as wingback.