Personal Headcanons you have with little to no evidence

Maegor_the_Cool

28 minutes ago, Castellan said:

never thought of that. Brienne and Hodor are so why not them? But they are just so doggy (bad dog, good dog) that I find the idea distasteful.

BTW who is it in the books or show who sees Hodor or Brienne or Dunk and thinks 'giant blood'? Or is that something I've made up?

I mean Gregor is a monster, no questions asked, but Sandor has at least some redeeming qualities. The guy is far, far from perfect, but I'd trust him over Gregor any day.

I just remember GRRM at one point saying some of the characters in the story were related to Dunk, so I was thinking who other than Brienne and Hodor looks anything like our favorite Hedge Knight.

Edited by sifth

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Naerys and Aemon weren't the original Cersei and Jaime, they were the original Margaery and Loras. The Dragonknight was gay.

I don’t hold that exact headcanon, but I maintain that Aemon & Naerys were never lovers. Rather they were simply siblings who cared deeply for one another. Abnormal in inbred Targaryen family.

Reason why Valyria did not try to invade Westeros b4 Aegon I was that some dragonlords tried to raid Hardhome. But that raid failed bc local wargs tried to take over invading dragons. They could not control those dragons but they only disconnected connections between riders and their dragons and made those dragons mad.

So for Valyrians it seemed that in Westeros dragons go mad and rogue and for that reason they did not invade until Targs waited long enough and made sure that danger of anyone trying to take over their dragons is over bc all wargs were gone and nobody in the South even believe that becoming a warg is even possible.

'A Song of Ice and Fire' refers as much to the division among the Stark children as it does to the Dragons / Others theme.

Arya/Jon with the icy Stark looks, Bran/Sansa/(Rickon?) with the more fiery auburn Tully hair.

Edited by Sandy Clegg

The Blue Bard is Willas Tyrell in disguise. He is the brother Septa Scolera mentions.

Had Margaery Tyrell somehow wriggled free of the accusations of fornication, adultery, and high treason? “Was there a trial?”

“Soon,” said Septa Scolera, “but her brother—”

“Hush.” Septa Unella turned to glare back over her shoulder at Scolera. “You chatter too much, you foolish old woman. It is not for us to speak of such things.”

(ADwD, Ch 54 Cersei I)

Margaery's rides out to the Blackwater for falconing and gathering autumn leaves and so on are also a ruse for communications with Highgarden via river boats.

I am guessing Loras's situation has been misrepresented or not represented to Cersei either. She is just being told what she wants to hear. Who knows the truth of where he is and how he is?

The moon tea that Pycelle prepares is for Tanea, who had taken Ser Osmund Kettleblack of the Kingsguard as a lover, turning the Kettleblacks to Team Margaery.

Tanea put it in the wine she shared with Cersei, and it slowly poisoned both Cersei and Ser Boris, giving them bloat, dark circles under their eyes, breathlessness and a hammering heart, especially on exertion like climbing steps, dry throat, itchy eyes. 

Cersei is lucky the faith took her out of the Red Keep when they did, and put her into detox. She was just recovering from her withdrawal from the tansy, wormwood, pennyroyal, and alcohol when she had her walk of shame. She might miscarry a fourth child of Jaimes.

Not sure about Boros. He hasn't had a break from drinking, and might die from it. I think he has some kind of one-sided chaste chivalrous romance of courtly love with Cersei as his object, and blames the incest on Jaime.

13 hours ago, sifth said:

Gregor is a monster, no questions

I think Gregor (while no angel) has been blamed for the deeds of Amory Lorch and his men at Sherrer , and the Brave Companions at Wendish Town, as well as his own attack at Darry.

I think he did not kill Elia or her son, that he was hoisting a Lannister flag over the barracks at the main gate of the Red Keep at the time, and the killer had fled from the throne room to the nursey via a route with a lot in common with the one Arya took when she ended up in the same nursery (now sheltering Tommen and Myrcella) while she was chasing Balerion the cat.

However, Ser Gregor might have been Elia's secret lover at the time of her death. And have disolved into a poppy-fueled taciturn rage at it happening, but took the blame and ignomy for the murder as an act of loyalty to Tywin. Maybe telling himself it didn't matter, with her dead he would be living in hell forever after anyway.

On the toy knight, he might have been too old for toys, but he aspired to a knighthood, so his younger brother stealing could be a bigger deal than Sandor expected it to be.

And Joss the innkeep is lying about Gregor setting fire to his town. It was raining solidly when Gregor came to his inn - Gregor was staying there while detained by flooding and rains. He wasn't able to set fire to anything, or inclined to. 

Joss hates Gregor because he sold Layna's maidenhead to him for a silver stag. As a father he was complicit in her rape, and he did it for coin. He projects his shame as blame, his guilt as well as his anger against Gregor and his men.

That, and perhaps a friendly understanding between Joss and Lorch is why he is prepared to spread false rumours about Gregor.

35 minutes ago, Walda said:

I think Gregor (while no angel) has been blamed for the deeds of Amory Lorch and his men at Sherrer , and the Brave Companions at Wendish Town, as well as his own attack at Darry.

I think he did not kill Elia or her son, that he was hoisting a Lannister flag over the barracks at the main gate of the Red Keep at the time, and the killer had fled from the throne room to the nursey via a route with a lot in common with the one Arya took when she ended up in the same nursery (now sheltering Tommen and Myrcella) while she was chasing Balerion the cat.

However, Ser Gregor might have been Elia's secret lover at the time of her death. And have disolved into a poppy-fueled taciturn rage at it happening, but took the blame and ignomy for the murder as an act of loyalty to Tywin. Maybe telling himself it didn't matter, with her dead he would be living in hell forever after anyway.

On the toy knight, he might have been too old for toys, but he aspired to a knighthood, so his younger brother stealing could be a bigger deal than Sandor expected it to be.

And Joss the innkeep is lying about Gregor setting fire to his town. It was raining solidly when Gregor came to his inn - Gregor was staying there while detained by flooding and rains. He wasn't able to set fire to anything, or inclined to. 

Joss hates Gregor because he sold Layna's maidenhead to him for a silver stag. As a father he was complicit in her rape, and he did it for coin. He projects his shame as blame, his guilt as well as his anger against Gregor and his men.

That, and perhaps a friendly understanding between Joss and Lorch is why he is prepared to spread false rumours about Gregor.

You're not fooling anyone.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:11 AM, Lord Domeric Bolton said:

I don’t hold that exact headcanon, but I maintain that Aemon & Naerys were never lovers. Rather they were simply siblings who cared deeply for one another. Abnormal in inbred Targaryen family.

Your version is probably the correct one. I only theorize that the Dragonknight may have been gay because it's very odd that Viserys, who made his two children marry despite hating each other, allowed Aemon to join the kingsguard, and because it would show just how much of a POS Aegon was for accusing his gay brother of fathering his son lol.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:01 AM, SeanF said:

Cersei seduced Jon Snow at Winterfell.

Metaphorically?

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Your version is probably the correct one. I only theorize that the Dragonknight may have been gay because it's very odd that Viserys, who made his two children marry despite hating each other, allowed Aemon to join the kingsguard, and because it would show just how much of a POS Aegon was for accusing his gay brother of fathering his son lol.

Metaphorically?

Literally. I imagine her as Mrs. Robinson.

Edited by SeanF

13 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

I guess Rhaegar's genes are like catnip for a certain lioness.

Cersei is a sexual dynamo.

I imagine she’d fall madly in lust with Daenerys, too, should they ever meet, given her resemblance to Rhaegar.

This is one I've just come up with, but I've convinced myself.

Orys Baratheon was the bastard son of Argilac Durrandon.

We know he was widely rumoured (a rumour accepted by the Targaryens) that he was the bastard half-brother of Aegon. The wiki (and most fans) assume that he is Aerion's bastard, but this is never actually stated, only that he's Aegon's half-brother.

We don't know Orys's date of birth, or the dates of death for either Aerion or Velaena Velaryon. We also don't know whether he is older or younger than the three Targaryen siblings. He could be younger than Rhaenys, born after Aerion's death (which would on this basis have happened not long after Rhaenys's birth). Or he could be older than Visenya, born before Aerion and Velaena's marriage. I think the former is more likely, with Orys growing up as a companion to a young Aegon who is already Lord of Dragonstone and indulges his friend/half-brother with a name and status, without Orys's ever having to deal with an Aerion who likely wouldn't approve of his wife's having a bastard son and certainly not having him underfoot on Dragonstone.

The Stormlands at the time nominally included the land all the way up to Sharp Point, and Argilac had also been across the sea to fight alongside Aegon in Essos. He had ample opportunity to visit either Driftmark or Dragonstone, wherever Velaena was living at the time.

Orys looks like a Durrandon. The Baratheons famously (and critically) have masses of black hair. So did the Durrandons. We might assume that this was a trait inherited from the Durrandons except that Orys has it too; indeed he didn't resemble his Valyrian parent at all. So either this is a coincidence or Orys has Durrandon ancestry.

When Aegon declines Argella's hand, he puts forward Orys. This might be because he thinks of him as a suitable match: as Argilac's son, he has a claim to Storm's End in his own right. And being a Targaryen, Aegon thinks that brother-sister marriages are entirely appropriate. Indeed, Aegon having somewhat selfishly claimed Rhaenys for himself (rather than letting Orys marry her) he's looking for another eligible bride for his bestie, and who better than Orys's other half-sister?

Instead of taking the offer as intended, Argilac is appalled. Orys is only rumoured to be a bastard, and doesn't have a bastard name, but Argilac reacts as if it were a certainty. Indeed he overreacts, unless he has another reason to be so angry about the match: in this case because he sees the proposal as not just inappropriate, but incestuous and therefore abominable.

After Orys takes Storm's End and marries Argella, he takes Argilac's arms and words as his own, supposedly in tribute to his fallen foe's valour. We know that the Targaryens didn't do arms until they landed, so Orys may not have any already but even so, why not come up with his own arms, since he's founding a new house? In this case, it's because he views the Durrandon arms as being his own. He's a Durrandon by blood. But he doesn't take the name, for two reasons: firstly, because Argilac threw his bastard status back in his face rather than recognising him as his heir; secondly, because to do so and publicly claim Argilac as his father would make him guilty in the eyes of the Westerosi of both kinslaying (as he killed Argilac with his own hand) and incest. As a Dragonstonian by upbringing, he doesn't view these as taboos in the same way as the mainlanders, but knows not to draw attention to it.

Another potential clue: the Durrandons favour names starting with Ar- (the "Arg- version of which has been identified by fans previously as potentially relating to silver). Orys is not a typical Valyrian name but could be a Valyrianised version of the Durrandon Ar- names, considering that the "ar" syllable is uncommon in Valyrian given names prior to the second century AC). "Or" could also relate to gold, another precious metal. This is thin, I grant you.

One I saw a while ago that I've adopted (I can't remember who posted it, I'm afraid): Oberyn founded the Brave Companions.

We know Oberyn founded a sellsword company (but not the name) and that the Brave Companions are not that old as a company. We know that the one he founded isn't any of the other known named companies. 

If he did, that would mean in a roundabout way he did get his revenge on all of Elia's killers, even ignoring the theory that he poisoned Tywin: he envenomed Gregor, and Vargo not only fed Amory to a bear but mutilated Tywin's favourite son. 

Edited by Alester Florent

On 8/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, Alester Florent said:

This is one I've just come up with, but I've convinced myself.

Orys Baratheon was the bastard son of Argilac Durrandon.

Good Godsgrief! I love it!

Argilac cursed him instead. And so they fought, the old warrior king with his streaming white hair and Aegon's fierce, black-bearded Hand. Each man took a wound from the other, it was said, but in the end the last of the Durrandon got his wish and died with a sword in his hand and a curse on his lips.

Orys, first Hand of the King, would lose the hand he used to slay King Argilac.

The King's Hand should have a hand. I will not have men speaking of the King's Stump.

The kinslayer is accursed!