Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Are there any other bugs that I can expect to encounter? I've heard, uh, not great things about Act 3. Mainly that it's very buggy.

I didn't really have many problems with the game even in Act 3. Another bug I encountered which starts in Act 2 and continues in 3 is some dialogue scenes don't get triggered properly. You have to press space I think as if you were skipping it to get it going and sometimes the first dialogue is skipped.

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Upon reaching Act 3 the other day, I started experiencing a truly weird set of bugs. One in particular keeps occurring during dialogue engagements, and involves...tearing? A...bar? I don't even know what word would be appropriate to describe the bug, so here's a screenshot, which involves a conversation with Gauntlet Edwynna. 

I've had this a few times and not just in act 2, but yeah always with minor npcs so I've mostly discounted it. I assume it's some graphic rendering weirdness?

I really like Karlach, she's extremely likeable - she's kind and genuine, and an open book from the start - a big loveable (very horny) puppy in Tiefling form, and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever but all the other characters go on these huge emotional journeys and that leaves her feeling rather lacking in comparison with the others. I didn't play in Early Access so can't say for sure but between her omission from the main game art and her dearth of content I feel like she must have been a much later addition.

Yeah, Karlach and Wyll's storylines are pretty curtailed. There's not a lot going on with them

Spoiler

and Wyll's not helped by his story only being really pushed if you save his dad, which can be quite tough to pull off.

compared to Lae'zel and Shadowheart, whose storylines are much longer, have more stuff going on with them and tie in directly to the main storyline. Astarion's storyline is also pretty big but doesn't tie in with the main as much.

Jaheira and Minsc are really only in it for long-term fanservice, and Halsin for the bearfucking scene.

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

I really like Karlach, she's extremely likeable - she's kind and genuine, and an open book from the start - a big loveable (very horny) puppy in Tiefling form, and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever but all the other characters go on these huge emotional journeys and that leaves her feeling rather lacking in comparison with the others. I didn't play in Early Access so can't say for sure but between her omission from the main game art and her dearth of content I feel like she must have been a much later addition.

Maybe it was me, but it felt like Karlach had a pretty big emotional journey through the three acts. It's definitely not the same kind of vibe as Shadowheart or Lae'zel, but I felt more sympathy for Karlach than those others. 

And yeah ,she was a later addition; heck, she didn't get a proper ending to the story until like patch 3. It's still not great, but I'm hoping the DLC fixes that.

That said - while I think both Shadowheart and Lae'zel have better overall arcs (and are far more important to the overall story) I don't think that that makes them better romantic interests. 

It also helps that Karlach's voice acting makes her just a joy to be around. Lae'zel as well for that matter. 

30 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And yeah ,she was a later addition; heck, she didn't get a proper ending to the story until like patch 3. It's still not great, but I'm hoping the DLC fixes that.

Wait, DLC? Didn't they say there was no plan around that yet? 

3 hours ago, Poobah said:

I didn't play in Early Access so can't say for sure but between her omission from the main game art and her dearth of content I feel like she must have been a much later addition.

You didn't miss anything with her in EA, she was "in" it when I played but not as a party member - you just met her at the location you meet her in the full release and after that situation is resolved she says she'll catch you in Baldurs Gate and there was nothing more.

@Werthead did you have a typo in your post from a month or two ago when you were planning your 'best outcome' or can you actually 

Spoiler

Free Orpheus without pissing the Emperor off? The typo would be that you said mollifying the Emperor when you meant Orpheus so no one has to turn Ilithid. I didn't think there was any way to talk the Emperor down if you free Orpheus?

Haven't dropped back into this thread in quite a while, I was in act 3 on a 'good' Dark Urge play with the multiclass level cap increase mod when the Honour mode patch dropped, wound up ditching that one for a Wyll Origin play on honour difficulty. As with the other difficulties, by far the hardeest part of the game is the early game, I had to run away and flee combat several times in the first act - the paladin, Waukeens Rest (I tried to steal a good sword, messed it up and they all turned hostile lol), the ancient mephits and tree guys in the swamp for the shadow druid quest and I think 1 or 2 others. 

Once the builds got their feet under them at 5 it started coming together and nothing really stressed me after that. I even tried to keep it more challenging by not multiclassing on 3 of my main 4 - Wyll was straight 12 Warlock, Shadowheart 12 cleric and Lae'Zel 12 Fighter (eldritch knight), Astarion being the odd one out on thief rogue/swords bard with hand crossbows. I went full tadpole on Wyll and none on anyone else so was abusing the hell out of Hunger of Hradar + Blackhole once I hit act 3, its so strong. Closest I came to trouble was 

Spoiler

Gortash where I managed to get a grenade from a launcher in the corner behind where you start the fight to detonate instantly and set off a second grenade I hadn't been able to move away from yet, that took out Shadowheart and Wyll and I was still able to recover without needing to run.

I keep playing so its clearly doing something right for me lol/

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

@Werthead did you have a typo in your post from a month or two ago when you were planning your 'best outcome' or can you actually 

Hide contents

Free Orpheus without pissing the Emperor off? The typo would be that you said mollifying the Emperor when you meant Orpheus so no one has to turn Ilithid. I didn't think there was any way to talk the Emperor down if you free Orpheus?

Per reddit this is how it goes:

Spoiler

Yup

Bring Gale with you to the final fight

Tell emperor you want to use Gale. He doesn’t agree but you can eventually get him to hand over the tadpole as a fallback and don’t eat it

Talk to your companions

Tell emperor you want to find another way and free Orpheus. Emperor leaves.

Free Orpheus

Tell him about the Gale bomb plan. Orpheus isn’t sure. And Gale admits we need a fallback plan

Tell Orpheus you’ll transform if it comes to it

Orpheus agrees with that plan.

And. That’s it. You have a tadpole but everyone agrees you can change if you need to

Then when you reach the brain stem send Gale to blow up the brain. He wants to do it. He needs to atone for his actions and stop the dark weave from feeding on Mystra.

No mind flayer transformations.

Brain blows up

Everyone is happy

Also:
I brought Gale, Shadowheart and Lae’zel to the final fight and confrontation with the emperor about Orpheus. I told the emperor my tav would turn into a MF and that I would consume the tadpole later. Then I freed Orpheus and the emperor lost his shit and fled to the nether brain. Later, as I was about to climb the brain stem, the narrator announced that my tav couldn’t help but think about Gales orb and how the fight could be over instantly. Then I had to pass a persuasion check with Gale to convince him the sacrifice was necessary… he went boom after teleporting the group away.

Based on reading that thread it's possible that it's not an immediate offering and that you need some level of relationships with the parties involved. 

Edited by Kalbear

9 hours ago, Poobah said:

I really like Karlach, she's extremely likeable

Nah, I find her incredibly irritating. I can't stand having her in my party because every time she talks I have to grind my teeth. I'd rather have Lae'zel in my party, and thats saying something!

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

You didn't miss anything with her in EA

You're alive!! Hadn't seen/heard anything from you in a while! Hope you're ok on your end! 

Also, are you having the same bugs in Act 3 that I am, with weird...mouth...bar things? And rocks on faces? 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Nah, I find her incredibly irritating. I can't stand having her in my party because every time she talks I have to grind my teeth. I'd rather have Lae'zel in my party, and thats saying something!

Have you figured out what personally pushes your buttons on that end? Like, is it the accent, the (admittedly) thin arc, or something else? 

14 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Have you figured out what personally pushes your buttons on that end? Like, is it the accent, the (admittedly) thin arc, or something else? 

The accent really irritates me for sure. Its just that she comes across as very 'modern', like a total Gen Z. Feels completely incongruent with her supposed character as this barbarian demon. Her voice really takes me out of the game.

Lae'zel is an annoying person to be around, but at least I can believe who she is when she talks. 

Edited by Heartofice

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

You're alive!! Hadn't seen/heard anything from you in a while! Hope you're ok on your end! 

Also, are you having the same bugs in Act 3 that I am, with weird...mouth...bar things? And rocks on faces? 

That doesn't ring a bell lol, act 3 has mostly been well behaved for me although I didn't play during the patch that broke doors. 

The worst bug I had in my honor run was Mayrina walking through fire or acid I'd thrown on the ground after the hag fight finished and turning temporarily hostile. I ran away but she bugged out when I came back and wouldn't walk away to finish the quest. Still showed up later though.

The previous run that I didn't finish hit a much worse bug with Halsin getting stuck in a doorway when he was meant to go to the lake lol.

And thanks, when I load the board I've been getting depressed in general chat and watching stuff I haven't seen threads for so wasn't popping into entertainment for a month or two.

14 hours ago, karaddin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yup:

Spoiler

As Kal said, you need to get the tadpole and then say you'll use it as a backup plan. The difference from Kal's plan is that I got Gale to agree to suicide bomb immediately, so I didn't need to convince him in the moment.

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Booooo. I would have rioted if I couldn't find a way to save her from her fate.

It's weird - of the voice actors the one that bugs me most is probably Gale. Sometimes he's absolutely hilarious (his death projection is brilliant, as are the other characters playing off of it), but there are a few times that it gets grating on me. Shadowheart is a distant second. 

I could happily listen to Karlach or Lae'zel talk all day though.