Dogs IV - Drip feeding Pupdates

Which Tyler

Nimue has just had her first contratemps with Beli - he lost a ball under the sofa, she got further under, and he snapped at her, drew a little blood (barely anything) and was immediately feeling guilty and sorrowful. Nim's drama queening lasted about 30 seconds, so more hurt pride than anything else.

Last couple of days I'd been really impressed with how jealous he wasn't being, and how careful he was; but not now.

Hopefully that's a lesson in respect, and I@m pleased with the way both reacted afterwards - but confirms that they're not ready to be left alone yet.

Edited by Which Tyler

I know doggy names go through regular, and somewhat bizarre metamorphoses, but this is just silly.

I the course of 1 week her name has already gone - from Nimue => Nim => Nimble => Nimbles => Nimbulus Nimbletonia.

Elsewise, she's undecided yet if she's going to grow up to be a dog, or a cat: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/puppy-training-thread.44066/page-15#post-1151300

@Derfel Cadarn - How's Penny doing?

Edited by Which Tyler

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I know doggy names go through regular, and somewhat bizarre metamorphoses, but this is just silly.

I the course of 1 week her name has already gone - from Nimue => Nim => Nimble => Nimbles => Nimbulus Nimbletonia.

Elsewise, she's undecided yet if she's going to grow up to be a dog, or a cat: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/puppy-training-thread.44066/page-15#post-1151300

@Derfel Cadarn - How's Penny doing?

Penny’s doing a lot better thanks. 
Getting bigger

• 2 weeks later...

I crossed paths with a couple at the dog park that had an adolescent English Bulldog and an "Olde English Bulldog" which is a thing I didn't know about. They both had the same grey mottled coloring. They were awesome. Just trotted on over to say, "hi." Very happy to be at the park and meet people. Treats were given.

• 2 weeks later...

I never had dogs that eat/destroy stuff. But if I’d had this current pack back in the day, I’d probably be able to say “the dogs ate my homework!” Every day w/o ever telling a lie. Though I’m not sure how homework would rank compared to dustpans, pillows, and furniture in general. Fingers crossed they’ll grow out of it eventually. :D

10 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I never had dogs that eat/destroy stuff. But if I’d had this current pack back in the day, I’d probably be able to say “the dogs ate my homework!” Every day w/o ever telling a lie. Though I’m not sure how homework would rank compared to dustpans, pillows, and furniture in general. Fingers crossed they’ll grow out of it eventually. :D

Well, damn it, girl, just feed them properly!

:lol:

(like that will stop a shoe eater…or dustpans, pillows and furniture. Nothing like the legs of the dining room table getting nibbled)

• 1 month later...

Yes, we all may hate the TSA in one way or another, but we do love their doggies!

Meet the hard-working dogs of TSA’s 2024 canine calendar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/11/29/tsa-dog-calendar-2024/

The TSA Canine Calendar is an annual tradition celebrating the work of America’s explosives-detection dogs. More than 1,000 patrol our airports and 300 more are trained every year to sniff out explosive materials.

“We screen passengers, baggage, we do terminal searches, we even screen cargo,” said TSA canine handler Caitlyn Winn, who’s been working with her dog, Puk (featured in this year’s calendar for October), at the Boston Logan International Airport since 2019. Like all the dazzlers in the calendar, Puk lives at home with her handler and leads a pretty normal life. But at the office (or, airport) she goes from pet to professional.

“Unfortunately I know they’re really cute, but you’re not allowed to pet them,” Winn said.

You’ll notice a theme among the stars of the calendar; certain breeds make great airport workers. “We use a lot of German shorthaired pointers,” Winn said. “They have really good noses.”

Our big takeaways from reading the calendar cover to cover: The majority of these dynamic dogs love treats, belly rubs and a toy called Kong with Rope. In addition to the primo pet content, the calendar is filled with fun facts, such as: “Canines possess a sense of smell more sensitive than even the most advanced man-made instrument. Their sniffers are powerful enough to detect substances at concentrations of one part per trillion — about the same as a single drop of liquid in 20 Olympic-size swimming pools.”

It also marks the birthdays of the featured dogs on the appropriate dates, plus some nudges to get TSA PreCheck if you haven’t already and reminders on what’s allowed in carry-on bags.

Without further ado, let’s meet this year’s calendar cuties. ....

Photos follow.

Here is the free downloadable 2023 TSA Doggy Calendar:

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/tsa_canine_calendar_2024.pdf

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I suspect the answer is no, you’re not a dog.

But as we already established in the UK pol thread: Canadians = sorta the Golden Retrievers of the anglosphere.