Football: Sieg oder Spielabbruch!

A Horse Named Stranger

14 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

To get votes probably back when they thought there would be some competition.

It does make sense though. Smaller nations like Ireland probably couldn’t host a tournament on their own but it’s not hard to get back and forth between the UK and Ireland. Pairing up bigger nations with their smaller neighbours gives them a chance to host some of the tournament without spreading it across the entire continent.

That's all very true.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it strikes me as very generous of the English FA (and I suppose the other UK FA's had to go along with it also). :)  Ireland has 2 stadiums at the right spec (more or less), both in Dublin.  That means only 1 Irish stadium could actually be used.  So we could never be a significant contributor to any bid.  Unless we throw away money at upgrading a provincial stadium.

If we were contributing 2 or 3 stadiums I could see more logic (although even then, England has loads of stadiums, so it doesn't need us).

But yes, we were another vote.  And the head of the Irish FA is English and previously worked in the English FA (and was involved in Euro 96).  I'm sure he has a good relationship with London.  (Him been English may surprise but the last CEO was so corrupt, they had to get a guy who was completely independent of that guy).  That must have helped.

But still, while I don't believe anything is ever completely altruistic, this seems very generous (and they could have linked Belfast with Scotland).  So thank you!

2 hours ago, Padraig said:

That's all very true.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it strikes me as very generous of the English FA (and I suppose the other UK FA's had to go along with it also). :)  Ireland has 2 stadiums at the right spec (more or less), both in Dublin.  That means only 1 Irish stadium could actually be used.  So we could never be a significant contributor to any bid.  Unless we throw away money at upgrading a provincial stadium.

If we were contributing 2 or 3 stadiums I could see more logic (although even then, England has loads of stadiums, so it doesn't need us).

But yes, we were another vote.  And the head of the Irish FA is English and previously worked in the English FA (and was involved in Euro 96).  I'm sure he has a good relationship with London.  (Him been English may surprise but the last CEO was so corrupt, they had to get a guy who was completely independent of that guy).  That must have helped.

But still, while I don't believe anything is ever completely altruistic, this seems very generous (and they could have linked Belfast with Scotland).  So thank you!

I would bet that post-Brexit relationship signaling was also a factor when the bid was being compiled.

A glimmer of hope for Pogba.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-pogba-hopes-to-avoid-long-ban-because-drug-wasnt-testosterone-27jkl6hww

Paul Pogba is hoping to avoid what could be a career-ending doping ban because the drug found in a sample he provided in August was the prohibited DHEA (that boosts naturally produced testosterone) — but not testosterone.

DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) is still on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (Wada) prohibited list and carries a maximum ban of four years if an athlete is found to have used the substance deliberately to enhance performance. It is classed as an anabolic androgenic steroid but one leading anti-doping lawyer has said that, because of its presence in supplements, there could yet be an explanation that leads to a reduced suspension.

A spokesman for Pogba declined to comment on Friday but it is understood that the 30-year-old former Manchester United midfielder is planning to have every product he uses tested in a bid to identify the source of the DHEA, including those used by family members.

Last year, the United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) announced that Bobby Green, a UFC fighter, had received only a six-month suspension after testing positive for DHEA.

DHEA can be sold legally in the US as a dietary product and Green provided evidence to the testing agency that he purchased and ingested the banned substance as an over-the-counter supplement. Both Green’s cooperation, and the fact that a low degree of performance enhancement was determined, led to Usada reducing the length of the suspension.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

United lining up today with a back four of Dalot-Evans-Maguire-Lindelof, with literally no defenders on the bench. If you're wondering what an injury crisis looks like. 

I’m fairness, those are all actual defenders and senior team players and quite experienced.  When you have to put Casemiro and McTominay into the back line plus call up the equivalent of Sepp VanDenBerg, Billy Koumetio and Ki-Jana Hoever from the youth team, then you have a defensive crisis.

Feel a bit bad for Rashford. I can't say he's had a good start to the season because he's there primarily to score and he's not, but he's been tearing strips off defences for the last few games, easily our most dangerous player in terms of causing chaos and making space for chances. 

But hopefully Garnacho can get that final product in.