US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sidney Powell has agreed to plead guilty to the charges against her.  I really wonder if she has turned on Trump.  The deal is very generous to Powell…

https://x.com/ap/status/1715006888889192798?s=46

Will she lose her law license if she gets a conviction?

19 hours ago, Fez said:

#4. Tom Emmer gets empowered while still being only Speaker Pro Tem, which almost certainly requires affirmative Dem votes and therefore is a different thing than #2. It also probably will be in short-term increments that require further votes every X days for the rest of the congress.

Sounds like this is what's happening. Jordan has said he won't seek a 3rd Speaker vote, but will remain speaker-designee and reserve the right to call a vote in the future. And in the mean time he'll support the plan to remove 'Acting' from Emmer's title.

There are a chunk of Republicans who oppose this, so Democratic votes will be required. 

42 minutes ago, Fez said:

Sounds like this is what's happening. Jordan has said he won't seek a 3rd Speaker vote, but will remain speaker-designee and reserve the right to call a vote in the future. And in the mean time he'll support the plan to remove 'Acting' from Emmer's title.

There are a chunk of Republicans who oppose this, so Democratic votes will be required. 

So… will Emmer be “Speaker”?

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Emmer, not McHenry?

24 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… will Emmer be “Speaker”?

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Emmer, not McHenry?

Sorry, meant McHenry. Got my "slightly less crazy, former McCarthy allies" mixed up.

If this happens, his title changes from "Acting Speaker Pro Tem" to "Speaker Pro Tem". So he's still not really Speaker, but would presumably basically have all the powers until/unless there's a real Speaker.

Also, it sounds like a lot of Jordan's allies are turning against him in the House GOP conference meeting going on over this, so who knows what might change today.

It does seem like this path is looking more and more possible, but it still all feels very hypothetical to me.  Anything that goes on the assumption that Republicans take power with some assistance from Democrats is a big ask. 

1.  What do the democrats want in return?  Is there sufficient trust between the two sides that such a deal can be made?

2.  Are there enough Republicans willing to side with the Democrats and the new establishment (because the Speaker is by definition Establishment) against the far right?  Because I could easily see this being one of the many cases where most Republicans wants something to pass, but also want to vote against it, because they know their primary gets harder if they vote for it.  I don't think a scenario where 200+ democrats and 20-30 Republicans vote for the Speaker is at all realistic, if there aren't at least 50+ Republicans supporting McHenry, then it all falls apart. 

I don't know why Dems would cave here either. Having a speaker appointed and then given power instead of elected is not a great look for a democratic organization. If Dems are willing to side with that why not just put up McHenry as a compromise candidate and vote for them? That'd be at least more regular. 

I would argue this isn't the Democrats "caving" so much as winning.  Assuming they actually get something in return, that is more than they were getting from McCarthy.  Plus it would show that there is a path other than just letting the Freedom Caucus call the shots, which would be a good thing for Democrats as well. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I would argue this isn't the Democrats "caving" so much as winning.  Assuming they actually get something in return, that is more than they were getting from McCarthy.  Plus it would show that there is a path other than just letting the Freedom Caucus call the shots, which would be a good thing for Democrats as well. 

Because they're entirely ignoring the rules of the House to vote in someone that is a really shitty person just so Republicans can feel vaguely okay about their lack of ability to run things. Put it another way: the Republicans get the ability to simply not govern per normal policy and set a precedent that it's just fine if freedom caucus people stonewall, because the adults in the room will clean up. Dems would have to get a whole lot out of it, IMO, for this to be worth setting the precedent of this.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just turned on MSNBC and they're reporting the McHenry path is dead with Gaetz spiking it. Apparently another rep tried to strike him in some way.

Clowns. All of them.

It's not about Gaetz, it's about a split right down the middle of House GOP leadership (so called) about whether to go for it or not. And the Republicans blocking Jordan are not, so far at least, willing to go it on their own with Democrats.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's not about Gaetz, it's about a split right down the middle of House GOP leadership (so called) about whether to go for it or not. And the Republicans blocking Jordan are not, so far at least, willing to go it on their own with Democrats.

As crazy and dysfunctional as the Republican caucus is, it still feels very unlikely that Republicans are going to find more common ground with Democrats than with other Republicans.  I remain convinced that in the end, they will elect a speaker (or somehow empower someone without the title) via coming together as a party, rather than building a bridge with Democrats.

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

As crazy and dysfunctional as the Republican caucus is, it still feels very unlikely that Republicans are going to find more common ground with Democrats than with other Republicans.  I remain convinced that in the end, they will elect a speaker (or somehow empower someone without the title) via coming together as a party, rather than building a bridge with Democrats.

The other option, which some former advisors to past GOP Speakers have been arguing, is that McHenry already has the power of a Speaker and just isn't using it yet. And that, so long as a majority doesn't vote to stop him, he could proceed with House business. That kind of passive allowance may be more palatable to Republicans. But it would also require the consent of Democrats unless less than 4 Republicans want to stop it (which is doubtful).

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

Could be, but the reporting I saw stated that Gaetz is the ringleader on fucking shit up and that the caucus is furious with him. I just thought it was interesting that someone tried to hit him again. 

59 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

At this point I'm starting to wonder if the Republican House will fracture so badly that Jefferies becomes Speaker. Yes, it is absurd, but so is this whole situation...

Nah, it won't happen. Sidney Powell is more likely to become Speaker than Jefferies.