US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

40 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

BBC reporting that in the last hour Big D has been threatened with jail for breaking a gag order, and a second lawyer has rolled over on him.  Dominos. 

Chesebro, whose trial was scheduled to begin Monday, pleaded guilty to a single charge of conspiracy to commit filing false documents. He agreed to serve five years on probation, pay a $5,000 restitution and testify against others in future cases. His agreement fell under Georgia's First Offender Act, which will clear his record if he successfully completes his probation.

"Guilty," said Chesebro, whose trial was scheduled to begin Monday….USA TODAY…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/20/kenneth-chesebro-charged-with-trump-over-fake-electors-pleads-guilty/71252767007/

HAHAHAHA!   

Edited by LongRider

So the House GOP is going to have a new speaker candidate forum on Monday, a conference vote on Tuesday, and (they hope) a floor vote also on Tuesday

Three republicans so far have announced they're running for Speaker (Hern, Bergman, and A. Scott), it sounds like Emmer will too, and there's at least two others actively calling colleagues to assess support. Quite a cattle call. They might need to do rank-choice voting or some such internally, but I feel like any less visible, personally affable, far right candidate would have a decent shot at uniting the conference factions. Most of the votes against Jordan weren't about policy, they were about knifing Scalise in the back and disloyalty to McCarthy. Anyone just as far right who wasn't involved with ousting McCarthy or undermining Scalise I think would get the moderates pretty quickly; it'd only be a question of if Gaetz and friends decide to be pure chaos agents again.

My boy Kevin will prevail in the end. He probably won't last very long the second time around, either, but... boy, he really loves that post. The way he, uh, praised Jordan today! LOL. He thinks he's very good at politicking.

Edited by Mindwalker

4 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Sorry, is that a serious question?

Yes actually. They stayed in line for Jordan for instance, even though Jordan never (officially anyway) turned against McCarthy. Just how Trump-y does the Speaker nominee need to be to get their support is a reasonable question. Is someone like Kevin Hern enough now or does it need to be to the level of a Scott Perry?

I think it has to be one of their own freedom caucus or whatever the fuck they're calling themselves. I don't think they are willing to budge otherwise, and are perfectly fine with simply shutting all of it down. 

The only way I can see them budging on that is if they get even more ridiculous procedural demands put into place, and even then I don't buy it. 

Gee whiz, one might almost think that threatening colleagues' wives with rape up the ass and murder doesn't make Jim Jordan any supporters.

Threats continue toward Republicans voting against Jordan for speaker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/20/house-speaker-jordan-threats/

Also you cowardly punk, just coz you live in an almost total red voting district, everybody else does not.

Welcome to the world in which Dem politicians and their families have been living for a loooooooooooooong time.

Funny though, the media is really pearl clutching now that it happened to the fascists, rather than it being directed at the fascists by their FELLOW FASCISTS.

Edited by Zorral

This would be incredibly good for the Democratic Party… wouldn’t it?  MTG talking about splitting from the Republican Party.

[Sorry it’s a parody account but bunches of Trumpanistas are in there creaming their pants at the prospect of destroying the Republican’s razor thin majority in the HoR]

https://x.com/mtgrepp/status/1715429902357565650?s=46

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This would be incredibly good for the Democratic Party… wouldn’t it?  MTG talking about splitting from the Republican Party.

:)

https://x.com/mtgrepp/status/1715429902357565650?s=46

It's a parody account. 

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

Well, she's probably wrong attributing this to ALL the Republicans in the House, but it actually seems to me like one of most insghtful statements about herself she's ever made. I certainly think Boebert, Paul Gosar, Matt Gaetz, and Jim Jordan see themselves as being aggressive "Alpha" people and that explains some of their bad behavior.

It’s a stupid argument but it’s meant for stupid people who’d unironinxly use Alpha male to refer to themselves.

Though it’s a bit off to use alpha female, generally chuds view those women as hyper progressive