Football: Guirassy-ing to victory

polishgenius

4 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

That counter is Klopp's bread and butter, his salt, pudding, steak, everything. 

That Liverpool don't defend it better is strange. They know how it works better than anyone.

The way they defend it is having the midfielders step in and challenge for the ball and create counter opportunities for themselves, you know counter pressing and all that, the problem is if they don’t win those challenges. 

Good for Diaz.

33 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Sloppy performance from Liverpool so far. That’s the first poor game Szoboszlai’s had in a Liverpool shirt.

Szoboszlai was fairly passive in this match for some reason, and similarly Liverpool as a team looked tentative as a whole.  Harvey Elliott's arrival made a significant change in terms of attacking opportunities.

The inconsistent officiating was pretty grating to watch - sometimes a foul is given, and other times not, for the same performance.  On the whole I thought that Liverpool benefitted from the balance of the odd calls.  It is really annoying to play in a match where you never know if something will draw a whistle or not, and watching it isn't great either.

Edited by Wilbur

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The way they defend it is having the midfielders step in and challenge for the ball and create counter opportunities for themselves, you know counter pressing and all that, the problem is if they don’t win those challenges. 

Good for Diaz.

Not having everyone stop playing to claim a handball does help. Play until the ref blows his whistle.

Poor by Liverpool.  Nunez could have taken one of his early chances but the whole team looked below their best.  Especially considering they dispatched a similar Forest side just recently.  Probably it was complacency more than fatigue at this stage but regardless the sharpness was missing.

Good for Diaz.  I hope is dad is home safe soon.

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Unbelievable and unforgiveable in proffesional players. 

Especially when the player who's hit the ball with his arm was landing from his jump, his arms moving in a natural way and had his back turned to Van Dijk who headed it. I missed what happened and had to wait for the replay. Seeing so many Liverpool players crying for a handball I thought it was something really obvious and when I saw the replay I still thought I missed something and played the replay back a couple of times just to make sure I didn't miss anything. And great job from Luton to score on the counter. 

This aged well, they should get a points deduction just for being such utter wankers, manager and club. I fucking loathe hypocrisy. 

‐-----

Speaking after Liverpool’s controversial defeat to Tottenham in October, which saw Luis Diaz’s goal incorrectly chalked off, the 41-year-old struck a far different tone.

‘I think they are trying to make the best decisions, they are trying to protect the game, they are trying to get as much support and be ruthless when they need to be,’ he said when asked about the controversy on October 6th.

‘At some point as well we need to give support and understand that mistakes happen. We’ve made mistakes as well and if the pressure is so much then it’s very difficult to manage.’

Edited by BigFatCoward

You know what I loathe? Cherry-picking quotes. From Liverpool.com:

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has expressed his frustration with the controversial VAR decisions that affected Liverpool's match against Tottenham.

Arteta hopes that the Premier League and the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) will take appropriate action and ensure fairness in future matches. The incident in question involved Luis Díaz's disallowed goal, which would have put Liverpool ahead in the game it eventually lost 2-1.

The Arsenal boss emphasized the importance of getting what teams deserve and minimizing errors that are beyond their control.

"For sure, you know at the end you want to get what you deserve," he said. "You want to minimize errors that you cannot control away from the work and the job that you do on a daily basis.

"Everybody is trying to have a really clean and honest game but at the end, you have to earn the right to win it and play in the conditions that the rules allow. When that doesn't happen it's extremely frustrating."

When asked about his overall thoughts on VAR, Arteta acknowledged that there were discussions among all 20 Premier League clubs before the start of the season to improve officiating standards.

"We had some big discussions before the start of the season and everyone had the right intentions to improve the game and find the best way to take it forward.

"But it's true that with everything that already happened this season, not just in the Premier League but in other countries as well, the pressure is increasing. It's not easy for them. It's not easy for any club or any manager because that really affects part of the season or a result and that is a dangerous thing to do."

The Arsenal manager though was unsure whether referees need additional training or assistance to make better decisions.

"Well, I don't know. When they explain all the processes of what they're trying to do it sounds really logical, but in the heat when you're talking about millimeters and interpretation of other things like the frames of the camera it's very, very different. It's a shame that it's happening but at the moment we haven't got the right answers I think."

So yea, fuck off. Arteta was firmly in Liverpool's corner. Acknowledging that it's hard yet also acknowledging that it has huge impacts, isn't working and needs to be fixed, is pretty spot on. In this case, the decisions directly impacted his club, his fight for the PL title, a year after we had TWO apologies from the PGMOL that said they fucked up which cost us the same amount of points that we lost the PL title by. So yea, he's entitled to be upset. But you want him to instead, rather than diplomatically say basically what he said yesterday, risk his club for another club on an incident he was not involved in, speaks highly of your agenda. Context matters.

Just go away man.

Edited by Mexal

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Just go away man.

Nope. Its too much fun at how upset you (and that prick Arteta) are about a game of football not going your way.  We were much better anyway, your attacking threat was non existent.  You were lucky to get nil. 

Its not cherry picking, because the quote I used is totally different to the one you used, thats not cherry picking, thats different quotes.  

He said what I quoted and it wasn't taken out of context.

He needs to remember, and the club for that matter, how close the referee got to being assaulted after Mourinho fanned the flames. Shameful behavior with potential real world consequences. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nope. Its too much fun at how upset you (and that prick Arteta) are about a game of football not going your way.  

Its not cherry picking, because the quote I used is totally different to the one you used, thats not cherry picking, thats different quotes.

He said what I quoted and it wasn't taken out of context. 

It is, when it wasn't even about that error. Literally, the question asked to Arteta during the October 6th press conference was:

On if it’s worrying that referees can’t officiate certain matches for certain clubs:

I don’t know, it’s something that we don’t have a say, we don’t manage. And I think they are trying to make the best decisions, they are trying to protect the game, they are trying to get as much support and as well be ruthless when it needs to be. I think at some point as well we need to give support and we need to understand that mistakes happen. We make mistakes as well and if not I think the pressure will be so much that it will be very, very difficult to manage.

Keep going with your agenda. You're doing well so far.

Edited by Mexal

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

It is, when it wasn't even about that error. Literally, the question asked to Arteta during the October 6th press conference was:

Keep going with your agenda. You're doing well so far.

I stand corrected. Imagine the Internet lying to me. So he's just a whiny twat and not a hypocrite, good for him. 

I don't have an agenda. I'm not still banging on about the Gordon non sending off and that he was a twat for his response, I said during the game that Bruno should be sent off. Football fans are so myopic, it's just a fucking game. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

46 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I stand corrected. Imagine the Internet lying to me. So he's just a whiny twat and not a hypocrite, good for him. 

I don't have an agenda. I'm not still banging on about the Gordon non sending off and that he was a twat for his response, I said during the game that Bruno should be sent off. Football fans are so myopic, it's just a fucking game

So then it's fine for people to root for whatever team they want. I know you were all up in arms some pages ago about fans needing to stick with their local team or something. Talking about hypocrisy and all...

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So then it's fine for people to root for whatever team they want. I know you were all up in arms some pages ago about fans needing to stick with their local team or something. Talking about hypocrisy and all...

I don't see them being mutually exclusive. You can not be a glory hunter and still realise it's just a game, and that nearly having an aneurism because a decision (that wasn't even THAT contentious) goes against your team is fucking silly. 

Edited by BigFatCoward