Henry Kissinger, how I'm not missing yer

Kalbear

9 hours ago, Bironic said:

What astounded me about him was less his war crimes, which lets be honest almost every single us politician did and he wasn’t even the worst offender, but more that he was treated as some sort of strategic mastermind by the media. But in the end what did he ever achieve that was a net plus for the USA? Vietnam/Indochina complete and utter disaster, Latin America short term „victory“ long term disaster, China partial failure, Iraq failure… Yom Kippur war was probably the closest to a victory he ever had…so for me he is not only a war criminal, but also massively overrated…

Apparently in China he is quite popular that social media was overflowing with condolences (not sure if that’s accurate).

9 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Its bittersweet for sure, happy he is dead but he didnt deserve the death that he had, he should have died in prison sad and alone. This is why i'll never belive in karma

He should have been extradited to Chile to faces charges there. 
One thing that I found kinda funny was that a few months back during the Titan submersible saga, you said that you would be ecstatic about his death. A few months later and here we are. Impeccable timing.

6 minutes ago, House Balstroko said:

Apparently in China he is quite popular that social media was overflowing with condolences (not sure if that’s accurate).

Yes, it's accurate. Here's a CNN article about it:

Paying tribute to the late statesman during a regular press briefing, ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said “the Chinese people will remember Dr. Kissinger’s sincere devotion and important contributions to China-US relations.”

Chinese leader Xi Jinping had sent his condolences to President Joe Biden, Wang added.

Kissinger’s death was also mourned on Chinese social media Thursday, where his passing became the top trending topic on heavily moderated microblogging site Weibo with more than 400 million views.

Kissinger was one of the architects of today's world to an extent that practically no other modern diplomat was (or even can be given the current environment). He made a lot of enemies doing this (e.g. the human rights crowd), but he also has a lot of admirers.

38 minutes ago, House Balstroko said:

Opening up China was critical for them. Today they are one of the biggest economies in the world. There is a story that in the early ‘70’s, a delegation of Chinese leaders had trouble scraping together the money needed to visit the US for talks. 

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m now super duper curious… what/who is the “human rights crowd” and can I join? They sound like the type of crowd one would like to be a part of, right? Right:ph34r:

It's the people who vocally complain about human rights abuses when prompted to do so by the media. Some of these are decent people and some are... rather selective in their complaints. As far as I can tell, Kissinger incenses them for two fundamental reasons.

First and probably most importantly, nearly everyone agrees that some of the things he was involved in are war crimes... but he completely got away with it. Not only did he live to a ripe old age of 100 without anyone making any serious attempt to prosecute him, but he was respected all the way to the end of his life. For example (see the CNN article in my previous post), as recently as last July, Biden sent him to China and, unlike John Kerry and Janet Yellen (both of whom have official roles in the administration), he was granted a meeting with Xi. Basically, he was (and his memory remains) the starkest example of the concept that all of the human rights rules only apply to the weak.

Second, he was surprisingly unapologetic about what he did -- even about the things that obviously turned out very badly.

24 minutes ago, Altherion said:

First and probably most importantly, nearly everyone agrees that some of the things he was involved in are war crimes... but he completely got away with it. 

Second, he was surprisingly unapologetic about what he did -- even about the things that obviously turned out very badly.

And you admire him accomplishing evil without personal repercussion because .... ??????

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

And you admire him accomplishing evil without personal repercussion because .... ??????

I do not admire him for that. I find his actions with respect to, for a pair of examples, Cambodia and Chile, highly unfortunate. However, I do think he serves as a very good example of what international law is worth when compared to the backing of a world power.

3 hours ago, Altherion said:

Yes, it's accurate. Here's a CNN article about it:

Kissinger was one of the architects of today's world to an extent that practically no other modern diplomat was (or even can be given the current environment). He made a lot of enemies doing this (e.g. the human rights crowd), but he also has a lot of admirers.

That was the article I had originally read. Wanted to make sure whether the report was accurate.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

I do not admire him for that. I find his actions with respect to, for a pair of examples, Cambodia and Chile, highly unfortunate. However, I do think he serves as a very good example of what international law is worth when compared to the backing of a world power.

Highly unfortunate is when a friend in HS told me a long time crush of mine was totally in love with me, but when I finally asked her out she already had a new BF. What Kissinger did in so many places was absolutely evil and he had no regrets about it. 

9 hours ago, House Balstroko said:

Yes it is. Here, Kissinger is seen as a wise diplomat and an American who was friendly to China, and someone who played a role in China's new prosperity. No one here knows ore cares about Pinochet or the Indochina wars.

12 hours ago, Altherion said:

I do not admire him for that. I find his actions with respect to, for a pair of examples, Cambodia and Chile, highly unfortunate. ... He made a lot of enemies doing this (e.g. the human rights crowd).

And I do not admire your attitude expressed in your choice of words as rebuttal to the pure evile this sob accomplished throughout his entirely far too prolonged lifetime.

7 hours ago, Darzin said:

Yes it is. Here, Kissinger is seen as a wise diplomat and an American who was friendly to China, and someone who played a role in China's new prosperity. No one here knows ore cares about Pinochet or the Indochina wars.

Except China’s prosperity was never the point. That was incidental. What Kissinger and Nixon were doing in normalizing relations with China was all about isolating the Soviet Union.