Henry Kissinger, how I'm not missing yer

Kalbear

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67574495

Henry Kissinger dead at 100. 

There aren't words to express how bad this guy was, so I won't really try. This was an unjust result of an exceptionally evil life.

Edited by Kalbear
gotta put in the song

The only tragedy about Kissinger's death is that he got to live a long full life to the age of 100 and died surrounded by his loved ones, rather than alone in a cold cell in the Hague for his crimes against humanity. Always remember the words of Anthony Bourdain when you think of Kissinger.

It’s funny, because I’m one of the older people on the board the overwhelming memories I have of Kissinger are about shuttle diplomacy, ending the war in Vietnam, and diplomatic successes reaching out to Russia and China. The dark secrets about bombing Cambodia, the civillian death toll, leading to the rise of Pol Pot, came out years later, and it was always like there was a huge gulf between those two Kissingers because of the timing. And of course with the passage of time even more ugliness was made public. Let’s mention Chile, for one.

I think that quote from Anthony Bourdain  is spot on, but what Bourdain misses is the fact there’s a whole gang of Americans who should have sat in the cells with Kissinger. He didn’t do everything all by his little self.

Edited by Fragile Bird
Sp

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

It’s funny, because I’m one of the older people on the board the overwhelming memories I have of Kissinger are about shuttle diplomacy, ending the the war in Vietnam, and diplomatic successes reaching out to Russia and China. The dark secrets about bombing Cambodia, the civillian death toll, leading to the rise of Pol Pot, came out years later, and it was always like there was a huge gulf between those two Kissingers because of the timing. And of course with the passage of time even more ugliness was made public. Let’s mention Chile, for one.

Well, as for Vietnam didn't he and Nixon undermine Johnson's peace talks to help Nixon win the election? I vaguely recall Nixon telling the South VIetnamese goverment to stonewall negotiations with the promise that he'd continue to support the war effort, once he's elected. Ofc, Nixon being Nixon, he sold them down the Mekong when he was in office.

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, as for Vietnam didn't he and Nixon undermine Johnson's peace talks to help Nixon win the election? I vaguely recall Nixon telling the South VIetnamese goverment to stonewall negotiations with the promise that he'd continue to support the war effort, once he's elected. Ofc, Nixon being Nixon, he sold them down the Mekong when he was in office.

I'm not sure it's been proven to a moral certainty but yeah, they totally did.

The deal they got in '73 was basically what Johnson was offering them in '68.

Johnson was no saint in this, but if he'd been successful in '68: about 25,000 Americans don't die. The same for probably close to a million vietnamese, Cambodia doesn't happen. Pol Pot likely never comes to power.

Fuck Kissinger.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

It’s funny, because I’m one of the older people on the board the overwhelming memories I have of Kissinger are about shuttle diplomacy, ending the war in Vietnam, and diplomatic successes reaching out to Russia and China. The dark secrets about bombing Cambodia, the civillian death toll, leading to the rise of Pol Pot, came out years later, and it was always like there was a huge gulf between those two Kissingers because of the timing. And of course with the passage of time even more ugliness was made public. Let’s mention Chile, for one.

I think that quote from Anthony Bourdain  is spot on, but what Bourdain misses is the fact there’s a whole gang of Americans who should have sat in the cells with Kissinger. He didn’t do everything all by his little self.

IMHO, the Khmer Rouge must take responsibility for their own crimes.  Or at any rate, the US’s chief fault was leaving the Cambodians in the lurch, in 1975.

Kissinger’s role in Operation Condor was unforgivable, however.  My wife was involved in working for some of the victims of torture, and the evidence was nauseating.

What astounded me about him was less his war crimes, which lets be honest almost every single us politician did and he wasn’t even the worst offender, but more that he was treated as some sort of strategic mastermind by the media. But in the end what did he ever achieve that was a net plus for the USA? Vietnam/Indochina complete and utter disaster, Latin America short term „victory“ long term disaster, China partial failure, Iraq failure… Yom Kippur war was probably the closest to a victory he ever had…so for me he is not only a war criminal, but also massively overrated…

4 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Its bittersweet for sure, happy he is dead but he didnt deserve the death that he had, he should have died in prison sad and alone. This is why i'll never belive in karma

“The Cubans say there is no evil that lasts a hundred years, and Kissinger is making a run to prove them wrong,” Grandin told Rolling Stone not long before Kissinger died.

“ https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/henry-kissinger-war-criminal-dead-1234804748/?fbclid=IwAR3uGSPxDg0CHqJgGQd73-hzlOpWHxKk-3JSeV91XUssZ5s0aqcjhIRZPWc

Greg, the author of In Kissinger's Shadow (2015), if anyone does, knows all the evils, inside and out, that Kissinger accomplished.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/books/review/kissingers-shadow-by-greg-grandin.html