NFL 4th Quarter

DireWolfSpirit

It was a magical run, and an amazing achievement, and we're spoiled out here.

There's been a lot of re-evaluation in the last couple of years. Back in the day I'd thought the credit for Belichick and Brady should have been 60/40 for Belichick, but now I definitely think 60/40 Brady. Belichick probably could have won a title or two without Brady, Brady obviously won one without Belichick, but who knows how he'd have done if he hadn't been drafted in the right place at the right time. They needed each other to win six.

His drafts were always spotty, always had a penchant for overdrafting injury risk DBs and he was so bad at drafting WRs it seemed intentional. The drafting in the last five years has been downright abysmal. Mac Jones didn't pan out, but who would with a bad line and no targets? With a decent roster Jones could at least have been a game manager.

Nor has he updated his operations. The Patriots had the smallest coaching staff in the league, no analytics department, and Belichick's insularity became a real handicap. I still cannot believe the Patricia/Judge atrocity at OC last year.

So when I first read the Carroll news I assumed he just stepped down because, well, he's old.  Upon further reading I was very surprised that this is clearly a firing and he had every intention of returning.  For me that was by far the most surprising move of Black Monday (..and Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday - perhaps they should just call it Black Week).

Like..why are you firing Carroll?  He's done an outstanding job the past two years and clearly has a great relationship with Smith, who I assume they still want to keep considering the cap hit if they don't.  I honestly don't get that one -- and this is coming from someone who's loathed Carroll at a personal level for over a quarter century now.

Vrabel was also "surprising" on its face, but I thought the Titans' owner had a reasonable explanation in her presser a couple days ago.  She said they considered trying to trade him, but didn't want to wait for that to come to fruition.  Considering the hiring schedule/coaching carousel, that's entirely reasonable - if not wise.  In that way, I don't really consider Vrabel "fired."  Will be interesting who wins the Pats job -- him or Mayo.

Also, obligatory as a Niners fan - Steve Wilks has already received interview requests from both the Chargers and the Falcons.  I imagine that's at least in part to satisfy the Rooney Rule, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a head coaching job somewhere with all these vacancies.  Be pretty cool if they get comp picks for a fourth year in a row after Saleh, McDaniel, and Ryans.

Finally, pretty crazy that Belichick, Carroll, and Khaki McDouche are all at least theoretically on the market at the same time.

So it's Jerod Mayo in New England.

While for resume-based reasons I would have preferred Vrabel, I think this is the right move. Mayo has as much internal credibility as anyone around. Seems like this has been the plan for a while, so it would have been kinda shitty of the Krafts to do otherwise. He has put in the time and the work, and had to endure the indignity (at least so I thought) of sharing the defense with one of Bill's kids (another thing that lowered my opinion of Belichick over recent years).

The job for Belichick's successor is going to be tough going for anyone. I think Mayo is one of the few capable of handling it. Not a guarantee of success, but he's got as good a chance as anyone.

15 hours ago, DMC said:

Like..why are you firing Carroll?  He's done an outstanding job the past two years and clearly has a great relationship with Smith, who I assume they still want to keep considering the cap hit if they don't.  I honestly don't get that one -- and this is coming from someone who's loathed Carroll at a personal level for over a quarter century now.

Welcome Back!  As a Seahawks fan, I was about ready for him to retire prior to the start of the season two years ago.  But after pulling off a playoff spot during what seemed to be a rebuilding year and then having a winning season this year, I thought he earned the chance to ride off into the sunset at his own time.  Granted they should have made the playoffs this year with a few losses that really came down to our inability to stop the pass in the intermediate zone, but if a down year for Carroll is 9-8, that's pretty good in the NFL.

Edited by horangi

From the scuttlebutt up here the big problem was that Carroll himself expected to have a significantly better year than he did last year after finding out Smith was doing well, and he had no real answers to why his team kept flailing about in games. The opening game against the Rams where they lost like 30-13 and Carroll was just confused as to how unprepared his team was is a good example of this. 

My Wildcard wknd picks-

Green Bay over Cowgirls

Lions over Rams

Bills over Steelers

Philly over TBay

Browns over Texans

Chiefs over Dolphins

On the coach front- Sacking Carrol doesnt seem wise.

Also Dont give a phuk about Belichick, seeya !!

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

8 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

The job for Belichick's successor is going to be tough going for anyone. I think Mayo is one of the few capable of handling it. Not a guarantee of success, but he's got as good a chance as anyone.

I hate cliches, but I do believe this one: Never be the guy who replaces the guy. Be the one who replaces the replacement.

Pats are not in a good place. They don't have a QB and have to make a lot of hard choices at most positions. Seems like they need a complete teardown. It's probably going to take 2-3 seasons to rebuild the team if everything goes right. That's not a sexy job unless you really believe you're going to get five years to really turn things around.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I hate cliches, but I do believe this one: Never be the guy who replaces the guy. Be the one who replaces the replacement.

I don't think this follows in the NFL.  Tom Landry coached the Cowboys for 29 seasons.  Then Jimmy Johnson replaced him.  That worked out pretty well.  Bill Walsh created the Niners dynasty.  Then George Seifert replaced him.  That worked out just fine too.  The Steelers have only had three head coaches since 1969...

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think this follows in the NFL.  Tom Landry coached the Cowboys for 29 seasons.  Then Jimmy Johnson replaced him.  That worked out pretty well.  Bill Walsh created the Niners dynasty.  Then George Seifert replaced him.  That worked out just fine too.  The Steelers have only had three head coaches since 1969...

The flip side is looking at Washington, Miami and Green Bay. I do agree the NFL isn't the worst sport when it comes to this, but in general it tends to be a bad idea unless you turn out to be special too. 

ETA: I do think BB should just retire. No one denies he's the greatest coach ever, but he's not a coach for this era. Players like to have fun and are empowered to do so. He hates that. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.