Football: VARying degrees of dissatisfaction inside.

A Horse Named Stranger

Gravenberch is that payer who has all the tools, but hasn't yet realized he has all the tools, and that he should use all the tools all the time.

He needs to watch and replicate the play of Jota, who goes all out all the time.  If he does that, it will be outstanding.

Jones has made that transition this season, and look how well he has performed.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Based on win %, 4 of Man Utds 'shit' managers are in their top 6 of all time. Jose, Ole, Moyes and Ten Hag. Weird. 

It's not all that surprising when you think about it. These last years post Ferguson are basically the level United's been at for the majority of the club's existence. United have been around for ~145 years and almost all the club's success has come under two managers (Busby and Ferguson) over a period of about 50 years.  For the rest of the time, United were pretty much a mid-level club success wise but with a big local fanbase.

Edited by Consigliere

So Sancho back at Dortmund.

I think we can agree, that it would've been better for all parties involved if United had just given Dortmund like € 50m (not for a player or anything, just because they had the money), instead of signing him from Dortmund for 80m or whatever they paid.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

To be honest, if a player is playing great at one club and then moves to a new club and his performance goes to shit, we need to at least take into account the possibility that it's at least partially down to his new club.

Sancho couldn't even do the bare minimum though. He was constantly late for training and team meetings. Matic backed this up in an interview during the last international break saying that Sancho used to come in late for training every day as well as for team meetings. Poor form, tactical issues, issues with adapting etc. are one thing but not showing the least bit of professionalism is quite another - bad timekeeping, not maintaining proper fitness levels and a poor work rate on the pitch is not acceptable.

I didn't mean to say Sancho is free of all blame. Obviously, being late for training and not putting in the work is down to him but if the club spends a fortune to sign him then they should obviously try to handle him better, finding out what the issue is and helping him through it. In a perfect world, every player would have an insane work ethic, be able to leave the problems in front of training centre or stadium and give 100% at all time, but in reality some players need to be coddled and, if that's all it takes to get the best out of them, it would be in clubs' interest to just fucking coddle them.

15 minutes ago, baxus said:

I didn't mean to say Sancho is free of all blame. Obviously, being late for training and not putting in the work is down to him but if the club spends a fortune to sign him then they should obviously try to handle him better, finding out what the issue is and helping him through it. In a perfect world, every player would have an insane work ethic, be able to leave the problems in front of training centre or stadium and give 100% at all time, but in reality some players need to be coddled and, if that's all it takes to get the best out of them, it would be in clubs' interest to just fucking coddle them.

Ah, that's what happened to Sakho at Liverpool :idea:

Nah, some players are just dumb/unprofessional/whateffs.

ETH priority was to establish a more professional mentality at the club. However I have some serious question about the level of discipline under Solskjaer (I'll exclude Rangnick, as he was just there for a limited amount of time).

I recall the story of Firmino's relatively early days at Hoppenheim. He was wondering why he wasn't getting picked in the Starting XI despite him being one of the team's best players. So he asked a teammate about it, who then told him it's because of his habit of showing up late for training. For him the penny dropped. He started to show up on time for training and started regularly.

Similarly, Rashford was also fined by ten Hag for being late. He accepted that it was his fault, and things moved on normally with no further complaints.

Sancho was coddled at United. Matic's time at United overlapped with Sancho's when Ole was still in charge so Sancho has been showing up late for training ever since he joined but neither Solskjaer nor Rangnick dropped him or called him out on it publicly. His fitness levels have been a joke for 2.5 years - he could barely play an hour before being knackered. Ten Hag gave Sancho 3 months off last season to work on his fitness and personal issues. Not sure how much more coddling United and various managers should be reasonably expected to do. Too many excuses get made for Sancho - it's everybody else's fault!

Well counterpoint is, according to Terzic Sancho had taken extra trainings sessions during past couple of weeks to get into shape. While he praised Sancho's natural fitness, he still thinks it will take a few weeks, before Sancho's levels are back at his previous top levels.

So really, verdict s out on him. I wish him well, because he is/can be such a fun player to watch.

As I said, I hope Sancho does well enough at Dortmund so we have a chance of getting rid of him. His attitude and work ethic is shit so there's every chance that he plays well for a little while before losing interest again. Might as well cut our losses.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Apparently Arteta used Arsenal’s winter break as an opportunity to go to Salt Bae’s restaurant in Dubai (and consented to being filmed doing it). I’ve lost all respect for him.

I'm bamboozled how that shit ever took off.

He's a greasy twat that sprinkles salt down his arm on pretty average (by all acounts) overpriced food? What's the attraction?