NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!

Great news for Lions fans, Ben Johnson and his amazing playbook is returning next season. Hes interviewed for a few HC vacancies but hasnt bought into anything as the right fit for him.

Glad to have him back!

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

15 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Why? Darnold isn't good. Idk why he had so much hype going into the draft.

Because Wilson sucked.  Wilson wasn't any better than Darnold.  Darnold was rated higher than Wilson coming out of college.  I was in the give Darnold some more weapons and see how he does camp over starting over with another unproven QB who just had one good season.  And take the can't miss Left Tackle who you know is going to be good.  And they could have traded down to get Sewell and got a couple more picks.  At that point they weren't a QB away from competing, so trade down and get more picks and some help for their QB.

Edited by grozeng

Saw the reports that Johnson's asking price apparently scared off some teams.  Good for him.  He should value himself and wait for the ideal fit.  It's betting on himself, but unless things go terribly awry, I'm sure there will be plenty of suitors next offseason.

15 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

As for the Lions, again, I didn't see the game, but the coverage of it I've heard is that they got really tight after having a big lead then did a bunch of dumb shit after they lost it. I don't have a problem with them going for it on the 4th downs, but it seems like they lost their even flow once San Fran was making their comeback. 

They didn't get tight at all, they did the opposite. Hell they had one drive where Sewell was basically a TE the whole drive. That's not getting tight, going for it on 4th down multiple times isn't getting tight.  The "dumb shit" they did was the same shit they did all season.

What happened is that a receiver dropped two very catchable 4th down passes and a ball bounced off a face mask on a 51 yard pass and the receiver made a one in a million catch. 

I do think they should have kicked a FG on the first drive of the second half though. Something he has to learn to do, take the points sometimes.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Saw the reports that Johnson's asking price apparently scared off some teams.  Good for him.  He should value himself and wait for the ideal fit.  It's betting on himself, but unless things go terribly awry, I'm sure there will be plenty of suitors next offseason.

I've heard both, the story around here is he came back on his own choice. I think he wants big money to take that leap. wants it to be worth it. Also maybe wants a better situation. 

He also came back without a big raise so clearly money isn't the only factor. 

Just now, dbunting said:

I've heard both, the story around here is he came back on his own choice. I think he wants big money to take that leap. wants it to be worth it. Also maybe wants a better situation. 

Well yeah I don't think there's any contradiction there.  He's coming back on his own choice because none of the options were to his satisfaction -- probably due to a combination of the compensation was indicative of a lack of commitment on the teams' part and he didn't think they would be good fits for him to be in a quality situation.  It's perfectly acceptable to link the two together.  If I was in his position I would.

I don't think I've asserted this comparison here, but I know with Ty I did - Purdy as the new Drew Brees.  It's not exactly an original comparison, and indeed Matt Barrows of the Athletic wrote a whole article on it.  Wherein, ya know, he asked Drew Brees.  A couple pull quotes:

“Brock made three runs the other night that completely changed the momentum, put them in scoring position,” Brees said. “Like, the fact that he didn’t slide? You could tell the dude was on a mission. Those were huge plays in that game. And I hope he’s getting the credit for that that he deserves.”

It’s no wonder those plays stuck out to Brees. Lynch noted that Brees’ athleticism, too, sometimes went under-acknowledged and was something former Saints coach Sean Payton railed about in production meetings. Like Purdy this year, there were points in his career when the cerebral Brees would get brushed aside as a mere game manager.  [...]

“I couldn’t be more impressed with the young man,” Brees said.

He's still got a ways to go to be the next Brees, but the comparison isn't that off. I'm not sure he's as accurate in tight windows, but he's a better runner. He's also better at this point in his career than Brees' was by a good margin. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

He's still got a ways to go to be the next Brees

Of course.  Hopefully he can start on Sunday, cuz Mahomes is almost certainly gonna do whatever he wants against the Niners' D.

Edited by DMC
Mahomes not Mohomes

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Of course.  Hopefully he can start on Sunday, cuz Mahomes is almost certainly gonna do whatever he wants against the Niners' D.

This Owl is hard to predict. I don't bet against Mahomes and now he has a great D, but the Niners are more talented. And both teams have shown they can comeback from two scores down. It wouldn't surprise me if it was an ugly low scoring game or a 35-31 shootout. I'm just not expecting one side to blow the other out, but that could happen too. Who knows? :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I don't bet against Mahomes and now he has a great D

Yeah me neither.  I don't get why the Niners are still slightly favored.  They should not based on recent performance.  Then again, I don't bet, so just as you -- :dunno:

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah me neither.  I don't get why the Niners are still slightly favored.  They should not based on recent performance.  Then again, I don't bet, so just as you -- :dunno:

My guess is because Mahomes hasn't been playing all that well all season. If he and Purdy are pretty even I think the Niners win. 

I like the Brees comparison and hadn't seen it before.

I honestly just don't understand all the hate that Purdy seems to be getting lately.  The Cam Newton feud in particular seems bizarre to me.  

Overall, it seems like Mr. Irrelevant starting a Super Bowl in year two should be the feel good story of the last 5 years... but it really seems oddly divisive instead.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

It's because people think a lot of halfway competent QBs could run that offense. 

We've had some halfway competent QBs... none of them could run it like Purdy has.  (Granted, I may be using a loose definition of "halfway competent.")

I mean hell, I heard one of the gasbags on ESPN (might have been Chris Canty) suggesting that the Niners should trade for Justin Fields... what??????

2 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

My guess is because Mahomes hasn't been playing all that well all season. If he and Purdy are pretty even I think the Niners win. 

I guess.  Mahomes not playing well is definitely not something I would bet on.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

It's because people think a lot of halfway competent QBs could run that offense. 

Which is, of course, demonstrably false.  We have clear evidence of what the 49ers look like with a "halfway competent" QB in the form of Garoppolo.  Look at the 2019 and 2021 playoffs.  Of the six games, he only threw more than 25 passes in two of them.  They lost those two games - and won the four when he didn't.  Most infamously in the 2019 Packers conference championship in which he only threw eight times.

The most glaring example within those games is the 2021 NFC Championship against the Rams when the Niners had the ball at the end of the game with the opportunity to tie or win.  Garoppolo couldn't do shit, and everyone knew it was over before the possession even started.  That's the fundamental difference with Purdy -- you can trust him a hell of a lot more than a "halfway competent" QB in those situations.

Shanahan is an extremely conservative playcaller that prefers to get a lead, defer on the kickoff to have the in-between-halves advantage, and simply deploy his QB as the "game manager."  Thing is, Purdy is most successful when Shanahan lets him off that leash.  That was the second half of the Lions game.  Hopefully Shanahan recognizes this error in philosophy and lets Brock cook on Sunday for the full sixty minutes.

41 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I mean hell, I heard one of the gasbags on ESPN (might have been Chris Canty) suggesting that the Niners should trade for Justin Fields... what??????

LOL.  Was looking at mock drafts the other day, can't remember which, but the author included trades and he had the Niners trading one of their third rounders for Mac Jones.  I think he did it to be funny (and basically said as much), but they probably will need to draft another QB.  Darnold is likely to move on, or at least there's no point devoting the cap space to keep him.  Brandon Allen is being prepared to be QB2, but just based on last year I'm still skittish about not having three capable QBs.  I imagine ShanaLynch are too.

Purdy is better than Fields, though it's probably closer than you think. Fields definitely hasn't had either the offensive talent or the offensive coaching Purdy has, but Fields also does a lot more stupid shit regularly. 

I dunno - going back to basics on what team should do well I tend to look at boring stuff - who has the better coach, QB, defense, and any glaring matchup issues. I know I'm still a bit rusty on this but just based on that I'd say Reid is a better coach, Mahomes is definitely a better QB, and KC has the better defense. In addition the 49ers have had real issues defending #1 receivers at times, though I suspect right now that won't be as exploitable as it would be compared to, say, the Ravens. 

I'm also very confused about the 49er defense - are they really hurt or something? They looked pretty weak against Detroit. 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm also very confused about the 49er defense - are they really hurt or something? They looked pretty weak against Detroit. 

Green Bay too.  The Niners defense has been pretty mediocre in this playoff run, and if they turn in a performance like that against KC, they're in real trouble.  I don't think they can win a shootout - KC's defense will give up some points, but they aren't gonna fold like a cheap suit.