Dreams

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I had a horrifying and scary af nightmare the other day that myself, my family and some random people were in a shop with display furniture you could sit on. Then needles came out of the furniture and impaled everyone.

:uhoh:

FTFY

12 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It's not even that bad compared to some of my other dreams...

I thought it sounded pretty scary, like something out of a horror flick. I feel so lucky now, b/c I very, very rarely have nightmares…

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I thought it sounded pretty scary, like something out of a horror flick. I feel so lucky now, b/c I very, very rarely have nightmares…

I once had a dream about being Cersei's lawyer.  As you might imagine, she was the client from hell.

Once, when I was on anti-depressants, I had a pretty dreadful waking dream about being put before a firing squad.

26 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It wasn't that scary but I think it was an anxiety dream, because I had it on the first day back at university after the Christmas holidays.

I don't really feel disturbed during disturbing dreams, but I do when I think about them after, since they make me look like a psycho...

The last dream where I can remember really feeling disturbed in the dream itself, was a dream I had a few years ago. During the day I'd played LSD Dream Emulator and the bad dream was certainly linked to it. I didn't play the game for months afterwards.

19 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I once had a dream about being Cersei's lawyer.  As you might imagine, she was the client from hell.

I had a dream that the Others were coming and I needed to construct the Wall, the issue was it was just me working on building and I only had ordinary snow to do it. I was making pathetic lumps of snow, and this was Scotland's best defence against the Others.

Edited by Craving Peaches

I often have dreams about being back at school. Had a dream where Leonardo DiCaprio was my primary school teacher. No idea what that was about.

I also have a lot of dreams about floods. In one of them the flood was caused by angry whales that were spitting water out their mouth to make the sea levels rise.

29 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Now I’m just picturing Cersei as a lawyer’s client and their interactions. HBO should look into that since they seem so keen on GoT spin offs, it could be dark comedy gold! 

29 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Once, when I was on anti-depressants, I had a pretty dreadful waking dream about being put before a firing squad.

That sounds awful. Mind you, not quite as awful as being Cersei’s lawyer…

5 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I often have dreams about being back at school. Had a dream where Leonardo DiCaprio was my primary school teacher. No idea what that was about.

See @Spockydog, people’s dreams can be interesting and funny like this one or terrifying like the ones above! :P

5 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I also have a lot of dreams about floods. In one of them the flood was caused by angry whales that were spitting water out their mouth to make the sea levels rise.

This is kind of hilarious as well, though I do think whales have plenty of reasons to be mightily pissed off. 

ETA: reading other people’s dreams here I have come to realise all my weird flying dreams are super duper tame, borderline boring!

Edited by kissdbyfire

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

ETA: reading other people’s dreams here I have come to realise all my weird flying dreams are super duper tame, borderline boring!

I had two dreams recently where I could fly and had other superpowers, but I looked it up and apparently it symbolises 'lack of control over your life' which took the fun out of it a bit.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I had two dreams recently where I could fly and had other superpowers, but I looked it up and apparently it symbolises 'lack of control over your life' which took the fun out of it a bit.

Personally I think reading too much into your dreams is overrated. The subject came up a few times when I was a psych undergrad and I found it unconvincing. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Personally I think reading too much into your dreams is overrated. The subject came up a few times when I was a psych undergrad and I found it unconvincing. 

Same here. I even did a research paper on dreams and there is nothing to the content of your dreams that has any importance. People do have recurring dreams or anxiety dreams but considering that most people do not remember dreams, and if you do, as soon as you wake up or begin moving muscles, the memory fades away. Why we dream is a whole other problem and one I don't really have answers to. All animals with a nervous system seem to dream but why is a big question.

One thing I know, what they say about if you're falling in a dream you always wake up before you hit the ground is completely untrue.

Years ago I had a dream where I was having an Indiana Jones type adventure in South America. I was being chased by natives and came to a cliff with a huge waterfall running off it.

I jumped off the cliff aiming for the pool below. As I got nearer and fell through the mist from the waterfall I saw the water disappear leaving just muddy ground.

I hit the ground and felt my neck break. I still didn't wake up, I continued in that dream believing I died and rose as a disembodied spirit.

24 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Whaaaat. I mean, I love the flying dreams, they’re so much fun! I never really bought into dream analysis and/or meaning, but then I’m very sceptical of this type of thing. I pretty much see it as I see religion, tarot, horoscopes… and don’t even get me started on crystals! :P

19 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Yeah, this is more in line w/ the way I see it as well. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

1 minute ago, drawkcabi said:

One thing I know, what they say about if you're falling in a dream you always wake up before you hit the ground is completely untrue.

Years ago I had a dream where I was having an Indiana Jones type adventure in South America. I was being chased by natives and came to a cliff with a huge waterfall running off it.

I jumped off the cliff aiming for the pool below. As I got nearer and fell through the mist from the waterfall I saw the water disappear leaving just muddy ground.

I hit the ground and felt my neck break. I still didn't wake up, I continued in that dream believing I died and rose as a disembodied spirit.

That’s… kind of scary too, but also interesting? What was it like once you were a disembodied spirit? 

12 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Same here. I even did a research paper on dreams and there is nothing to the content of your dreams that has any importance. People do have recurring dreams or anxiety dreams but considering that most people do not remember dreams, and if you do, as soon as you wake up or begin moving muscles, the memory fades away. Why we dream is a whole other problem and one I don't really have answers to. All animals with a nervous system seem to dream but why is a big question.

Two of the four dogs I've had clearly dreamed and did so frequently. They'd be on their side and all four legs were moving like they were chasing something in their mind, and if you touched them they'd have the same startled reaction a human has when you wake them up while they're dreaming. It was pretty adorable. 

18 minutes ago, maarsen said:

All animals with a nervous system seem to dream

All our dogs dream a lot, and I love watching them when they’re dreaming. And it’s interesting when you live w/ a pack b/c it gives you the opportunity to observe them; for instance, they all dream differently for the most part. One is always running - probably chasing something. Another one whines a lot but barely moves, and another one snarls and growls while wagging his tail with gusto. So funny.

Edited by kissdbyfire

One of the strangest dreams I've ever had, possibly the strangest, involved a whale. I don't remember the exact year when I had it, but I was probably like 12 which would put it at 1988.

I was at a beach, there was other people there, and this enormous whale rose up out of the water. I don't think it was a very realistic whale sighting at all. The whale was nearly as long as the beach. I don't recall if people were running or what, but I just remember freezing in fear. (I've had that feeling in other dreams and they are often the most memorable ones, I have a ghost dream like that)

And then I heard a voice in my head, very deep, say "Leviathan comes in 99." I think that was it. The dream ended there. So, I've always been an atheist, even when I was a small child, so I mostly doubted it was anything. But it was also a very powerful experience. I did keep it in mind as 1999 was coming up. Absolutely nothing happened that year, at least to me. Very dull, yet enjoyable year. 

I had been exposed to religious when I was very young, so that was probably the source. They even had books with very gorgeous color drawings and there was one with Jonah and the whale. So, that was probably the actual source of the dream.