Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

Such a pity about Thiago.  As everyone has said, this was the predictable risk and it has gone worse than the 50:50 betting line.  But he was a joy to watch on the pitch.

I hope he can recover enough to play on, whether for us or elsewhere.  Incredible player.

I’m in favour of an independent regulator for football in general I suppose but it’s hard to imagine the Tories not fucking it up. Also the government apparently pushed the Premier League to approve the Saudis taking over Newcastle. So, yeah, hard to get too energised about the whole thing.

City haven’t had 7 million shots so far so that’s an improvement from the Brentford game. It’d be nice if they let Everton score directly from a goal kick though.

Szoboszlai is really missed in MF.  I think MacAllister, Szoboszlai and Jones is the strongest MF by some distance (assuming Thiago is out of contention), but we’ve had very few games where we’ve been able to start with them.

Elliot did well as a sub again, and has been more impactful as a sub rather than starter all season.  A pity to see TAA withdrawn — both he and Szoboszlai were rushed back too soon.  With Gomez out with flu and Bradley on compassionate leave, TAA was rushed back despite finally having two very capable deputies in the squad — after years of no depth at his position.

Bayern should get Alonso for next season.

Sacking Nagelsmann for Tuchel was a big mistake. Tuchel has Bayern playing their worst football since Kovac. Tuchel is just another Mourinho/Conte. He can get results for a limited time but the football will not be pretty and he'll inevitably pick fights with everyone and get sacked.

Ancelotti is doing a really good job at Real this season. Their defensive record/play has been excellent despite all the injury disruption they've had in defence this season (they had no CBs available for today's game for instance but Girona never had a sniff) and they are coping very well without a proper CF too.

Edited by Consigliere