US Politics: Sitting in Judgement

2 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

I don't know Scot, I'm just a dumb hick tradesman.  But from what I understand President of the US is one of the most powerful political positions in the world with vast diplomatic resources, and that the nation perpetrating this is strong US ally.  I'd guess asking nicely would be a good place to start, but wtf do I know? 

I believe Biden has been doing that to the tune of Netanyahu saying “fuck off”.  

6 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Well I guess he tried then!  Oh well!

Well it is a little frustrating that people criticizing Biden are often so short on details of ways to actually make the situation better.  Because Netanyahu does not take his marching orders from Washington. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well it is a little frustrating that people criticizing Biden are often so short on details of ways to actually make the situation better.  Because Netanyahu does not take his marching orders from Washington. 

Netanyahu could ignore the US, Israel doesn’t need US support to continue military action in Gaza, but I think it’s fair to wonder exactly how hard Biden is trying if the response to being told to fuck off is ‘well we’re not happy but we’re still going to give you $14 billion in military aid’.

Edited by ljkeane

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But they do take material support and money from Washington.  

41 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

But they do take material support and money from Washington.  

Sure, but it's not critical in the short term and sadly short term thinking is all the Israel government is really doing. 

53 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Netanyahu could ignore the US, Israel doesn’t need US support to continue military action in Gaza, but I think it’s fair to wonder exactly how hard Biden is trying if the response to being told to fuck off is ‘well we’re not happy but we’re still going to give you $14 billion in military aid’.

I do believe Biden is trying pretty hard to reign things in, but his style is largely to do it behind the scenes. Then you have to factor in all the different parts of the various proposed packages and how they're opposition to many of them by enough legislators to muck things up.

I know people like to say X should be done, but it's typically not that simple, otherwise we would have solved the gun violence problem in this country a long time ago.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I know people like to say X should be done, but it's typically not that simple, otherwise we would have solved the gun violence problem in this country a long time ago.

Biden could publicly say this behavior is not ok and has gone too far.  Instead he just reaffirms full support for Israel and hopes for a peaceful resolution in the future.  The only similarity between Gaza and gun control is this "thoughts and prayers" attitude.  

It's absolutely bizarre to me to compare gun control (which involves a constitutional amendment with a lot of SC stare decisis backing) and a President's ability to influence what's going on Gaza.  I missed the part where Biden's constitutionally prevented from doing more than thoughts and prayers, and hoping for a way forward-- which is a pretty charitable way of describing all of his public comments on the topic since Oct. 7.

4 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Biden could publicly say this behavior is not ok and has gone too far.  

He. Literally. Has. This is just another example of nothing he does being good enough. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/02/08/biden-israel-gaza-speech-netanyahu/

It's absolutely bizarre to me to compare gun control (which involves a constitutional amendment with a lot of SC stare decisis backing) and a President's ability to influence what's going on Gaza.  I missed the part where Biden's constitutionally prevented from doing more than thoughts and prayers, and hoping for a way forward-- which is a pretty charitable way of describing all of his public comments on the topic since Oct. 7.

Biden cannot make Netanyahu do anything. Just like he can't force through gun control. That's not how the world works. So many people bitch and moan wondering why the president can't snap their fingers and fix things. And word for the wise, diplomacy is like an iceberg, you see almost none of it in public and that's a good thing. 

In other news, I'm seeing new numbers on Trump's legal and financial problems. He doesn't have to put up around 80% which is what I first heard, it's actually 120%. The total sum is about twice of what he theoretically has cash on hand (and even that is iffy, he might not have shit). That's before the legal bills factor in not including the ones he will be incurring over who knows how long (this is where delaying everything is a bad idea). He does have the assets to cover the costs, but like I've mentioned before, if he needs to sell something quickly he'll get fleeced. 

What I still don't totally understand is how Trump and his sons beginning banned from doing business in NY works. The organization can do business, but I don't believe they can have any say which makes selling stuff off harder. Then there's the loss of several licenses which I assume means it will be very problematic.

And the Grift goes on...

GoFundMe claims Trump's page meets its terms and conditions...

Trump's GoFundMe page is up to $414,000 as of sometime this morning.

Well...lessee here...74 million blockheads voted for Trump. If one in ten chips in ten bucks to this thing...

GoFundMe Responds to Calls To Shut Down Donald Trump Fundraiser (msn.com)

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

He literally has said that.

Has he? I missed that. I saw "over the top", indiscriminate bombing, but no clear "it has gone too far" - which it obviously has, for months now actually. 

But even if he has said it in those words, "has gone too far", he's still sending all the bombs and ammo and money and whatever else. So it's hard to take any such statement seriously, given all the massive enabling that is going on. 

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

He literally has said that.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

He. Literally. Has. This is just another example of nothing he does being good enough. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/02/08/biden-israel-gaza-speech-netanyahu/

Biden cannot make Netanyahu do anything. Just like he can't force through gun control. That's not how the world works. So many people bitch and moan wondering why the president can't snap their fingers and fix things. And word for the wise, diplomacy is like an iceberg, you see almost none of it in public and that's a good thing. 

And some people bitch and moan anytime people expect elected officials to lift a fucking finger to stop a genocide in progress.  

20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Has he? I missed that. I saw "over the top", indiscriminate bombing, but no clear "it has gone too far" - which it obviously has, for months now actually. 

But even if he has said it in those words, "has gone too far", he's still sending all the bombs and ammo and money and whatever else. So it's hard to take any such statement seriously, given all the massive enabling that is going on. 

This is where liberals fuck up. There's basically no difference between the two phrases. And again, we have no idea exactly what has been said in private. 

10 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

And some people bitch and moan anytime people expect elected officials to lift a fucking finger to stop a genocide in progress.  

Acting like Biden isn't doing anything betrays reality. But go ahead, stoke anger on the left that will just help Trump and make things even worse. 

See the big picture, even if parts of it make you cringe to your core. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

This is where liberals fuck up. There's basically no difference between the two phrases. And again, we have no idea exactly what has been said in private. 

Perhaps there is no great difference, but "it has gone too far" implies it crossed into unacceptable territory to me, as in, we won't allow for it to continue. Especially since, you know, Biden is possibly the only person on the planet w/ the power to actually do it. Or so we're always being told.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Acting like Biden isn't doing anything betrays reality. But go ahead, stoke anger on the left that will just help Trump and make things even worse. 

Ah yes, the inevitable: support Biden or you'll get Trump again and that will be so much worse! And it absolutely will, and for the whole world. Alas, isn't the vote the way  the common individual has to try and change things?

I know, I know, "it is but not now when so much is at stake!". It is a real conundrum and I dare say that if I were american I would probably hold my nose and vote for Biden - instead of abstaining since I would never vote for Trump in a million years. But I can't say I don't understand when I hear my american friends saying they haven't decided whether to vote for Biden or at all in November. 

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

But even if he has said it in those words, "has gone too far", he's still sending all the bombs and ammo and money 

Well, that is true. Which I, for one, cannot support.

I am hoping, foolishly, perhaps, that behind the scenes though, things will get tougher on that corrupt crook Bibi and his his cohorts. Biden & Co.'s got to stop this -- get a cease-fire at the very least -- at some decent period prior to the election.  He knows this.  He must also know that, as it does me, this being paid for with OUR/MY money sickens essential voters.  Even while Ukraine is being REFUSED material support.

Edited by Zorral

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

He's not doing shit.  He's doing the absolute minimum.  

To the bolded, lo fucking l.  Don't scold me about shutting up like it's damaging the electoral prospects of the guy with the milquetoast opposition to genocide.  Great way to get people out to vote if that's what you're so concerned about.

Yeah, I'm the fucking reason people are upset about Gaza, not the fucking President. 

I used the example of "asking them to stop nicely" because I thought it might be an absurd example of the limits of the President's ability to do anything about this.  That "over the top comment" is literally all that Biden has done to check this conflict.  

Biden could be threatening to withhold aid or weapons, he could have actually voted for a UN resolution urging an immediate ceasefire.  He could not have run his mouth about decapitated babies.

But yeah, sure, I better stop saying Biden could be doing more or Trump's gonna win.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Perhaps there is no great difference, but "it has gone too far" implies it crossed into unacceptable territory to me, as in, we won't allow for it to continue. Especially since, you know, Biden is possibly the only person on the planet w/ the power to actually do it. Or so we're always being told.

It's an unnecessary level of nitpicking though compared to what is sitting on the other side. And TBH making inflammatory remarks publicly has a decent chance of backfiring, hence why most of these conversations happen in private. 

Ah yes, the inevitable: support Biden or you'll get Trump again and that will be so much worse! And it absolutely will, and for the whole world. Alas, isn't the vote the way  the common individual has to try and change things?

I know, I know, "it is but not now when so much is at stake!". It is a real conundrum and I dare say that if I were american I would probably hold my nose and vote for Biden - instead of abstaining since I would never vote for Trump in a million years. But I can't say I don't understand when I hear my american friends saying they haven't decided whether to vote for Biden or at all in November. 

The common individual isn't going to change a damn thing in the US system. People need to get over themselves. It's takes transformational leaders to really change things and they only come around once in a blue moon. Obama was one and look how that went.

And yes, you have only two choices. Pick a side even if you have a lot of problems with it. Voting third party or not voting at all is not a virtue, it's a sign of complete ignorance.