Words of Wisdom

Faulkner's other quote that GRRM likes is:

“The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself.”

But I suspect the one he uses most often is

“In writing, you must kill all your darlings.”

If he's contemplating dreams, that could mean anything. Maybe he's feeling inspired?

I don't see how it could be anything else than news about WoW. Unless he is playing with our nerves, the evil man.

Not that the book is finished. He said there would be a non ambiguous statement then. But I would believe it means he wrote (or got the idea) of something great about Jon and Lyanna.

Thinking about it. If it's 2 years (?) that he didn't make progress, it means he his stuck with some PoV, accounting for about 500 pages of WoW. I would believe the PoVs are Jon, Bran and related. All what happen in the very North. All else is finished and not dependent. For example, Bowen sent ravens telling Jon betrayed the NW and was executed. Nothing else came afterward from the Wall. Everyone south, even WF, assume Bowen is in charge and act all WoW accordingly. Until maybe the Others come down, at the very end.

So GRRM could write this part independently. Maybe he was stuck at the beginning, with not a page worth. Or he had drafts, but nothing good for release. Now, he just found the way to lay things and start writing for good. Or he now only needs minor adaptations of his best drafts.

Maybe WoW is still far away. But my hope is that a significant hurdle has been overcome. GRRM has never communicated about Jon chapters. Maybe it's the case here... Or it's just me dreaming.

17 hours ago, WardofWinterfell said:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

Blue rose, quotes about dreaming...maybe of spring?

Thoughts?

(TWOW, ADOS) belong to him alone (not fans, not publisher) but it means he is lonely and can't help feeling negative vibes.

Maybe from me! and you!

12 hours ago, Castellan said:

(TWOW, ADOS) belong to him alone (not fans, not publisher) but it means he is lonely and can't help feeling negative vibes.

Maybe from me! and you!

This is the other interpretation. If he had really made progress, the mood would not be comtemplative. Maybe he believes ASoIaF was a dream. Only a dream. And will never be a reality.

5 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Maybe he believes ASoIaF was a dream. Only a dream. And will never be a reality.

Aaargghh!

Actually considering the major post before this was "Dark Days" (ignoring posts discussing releases) perhaps it means in the current climate dreamers will be lonely.

Edited by Castellan

I think it could be about a new Dunk &Egg novella. We know blue winter roses are linked to more Stark maidens, and he has announced he plans to write more Dunk&Egg novellas and F&B 2. I can imagine the wolves of WF(is that all the working title?) having blue roses mentioned. I can see him getting motivated to write that before TWOW.

I’m sure a lot of people would hate that, but I’d rather have him write something that not write TWOW. And maybe, just maybe at some point being able to write something he actually still enjoys writing, will bring back his motivation to finish ASOIAF. Or otherwise writing something he does enjoy writing will finally help him admit that he doesn’t want to, or can’t finish ASOIAF, and just end our misery.

4 hours ago, Weirnet said:

I think at this point he should just outright say it. He's never gonna finish WoW. He's already neck deep in the development of new TV shows and other spinoffs that nobody really cares for.

Yeah. I only speak for myself. But I'm only waiting from GRRM the conclusion of his ASoIaF. I'm OK if it's only a highlight of what he intended to write. In part so that no one can repeat D&D bungling and changing the story to their own preference. I'll watch no TV spinoff, whatever the channel. GRRM himself could be found dead tomorrow, with 100 unpublished D&E novellas under his bed, I would not read them either. ASoIaF and only ASoIaF from GRRM is what matters for me.

Edited by BalerionTheCat

20 hours ago, Weirnet said:

I think at this point he should just outright say it. He's never gonna finish WoW. He's already neck deep in the development of new TV shows and other spinoffs that nobody really cares for.

I fully believe its a post about the next book.  GRRM isn't a dick.  He isn't a troll either.  If you recall, he posted something similar before HotD was published.  I think the most logical answer is he's untied a knot somewhere, probably with Jon.

I know I'm probably overthinking it and being unusually optimistic, but "Words of Wisdom" and "Winds of Winter" both have the "W" alliteration and the same amount of letters.

Maybe there has been some sort of progress haha.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:05 PM, WardofWinterfell said:

He isn't a troll

I don't know about that

On 3/15/2024 at 7:05 PM, WardofWinterfell said:

he posted something similar before HotD was published.

You mean Fire and Blood? Or the tv show?

1 minute ago, Weirnet said:

I don't know about that

You mean Fire and Blood? Or the tv show?

For what it's worth, he did post a giant picture of a dead King Kong, when he finished ADWD, but he made it very clear he was nearly finished with the book, before making that post.

46 minutes ago, sifth said:

For what it's worth, he did post a giant picture of a dead King Kong, when he finished ADWD, but he made it very clear he was nearly finished with the book, before making that post.

Yeah, he had already announced the release date. And even the cryptic images aren't the biggest problem. THE biggest problem is the innumerable new projects that he is heavily invested in, many of which are not related to asoiaf at all (even though he had said he won't work on anything else before winds is done)!

Edited by Weirnet