Angry people yelling about tech they don't understand

21 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Flair is for flunkies, so the answer is not only NO! but hell NO!  Just in case you were wondering.  

Damn.  You quoted before I finished the edit. 

Error 404!

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Thanks for this @Larry of the Lawn. Here goes.

Fuck car and computer companies trying to phase out CDs.

Fuck phones and computers changing up USB ports, and getting rid of earphone jacks.

Fuck all of the fucking passwords that I have to manage these days.

Fuck streaming and their steady supply of shitty movies and shows.

Fuck music streaming for the same.

Fuck Samsung Health for changing their terms of service and demanding I give my bio info to third parties.

MOTHERFUCK Apple Music for corrupting the mp3 files on my goddamned external hard drive.

And...damn you, 3D video games. I still suck at them.

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Thanks for this @Larry of the Lawn. Here goes.

Fuck car and computer companies trying to phase out CDs.

Fuck phones and computers changing up USB ports, and getting rid of earphone jacks.

Fuck all of the fucking passwords that I have to manage these days.

Fuck streaming and their steady supply of shitty movies and shows.

Fuck music streaming for the same.

Fuck Samsung Health for changing their terms of service and demanding I give my bio info to third parties.

MOTHERFUCK Apple Music for corrupting the mp3 files on my goddamned external hard drive.

And...damn you, 3D video games. I still suck at them.

The above is a thing of beauty. 

10 minutes ago, LongRider said:

This old bat agrees with this.   I like CDs and DVDs and if my 'puter ever dies it might be hard to find another one with a disk drive on it.  

‘puters are phasing out disk drives? That’s annoying
(I bought my last ‘puter in 2011)

Edit: of course it is. 

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Ya, I say that sometimes.   Glad to hear from another disk fan.  

Twice! Twice this thread you got me before my edit. 

Edit: That’s just my punishment for not being right the first time. 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

And I too love my discs.

For a long time, I didn't have cable or watched broadcast TV.  So, watching DVDs from the library or by purchasing them, let me see lots of stuff.  CDs, DVDs, and Blu Rays still have relevance for some people.   Now I watch TV, but only streaming because of the no-add packages make it worth my time.  (I hate adds sooooooooo much!)  I had a great time last fall watching The Big Bang Theory as I had never seen it before.  Streaming brings me the old and the new and most of it is new to me.   

Speaking of 'puters, I'm about to buy a new one. I don't want to, but the Alienware Aurora R14 that I spent £2400 on in October 22, which was supposed to be the end of my low-to-mid-range-PC gaming woes and mark my entry into the PC Gaming Master Race, is dying.

This machine has been a piece of crap ever since I got it. I've had all kinds of issues with it. But I now cannot play anything for longer than an hour without it crashing, and then I usually have to wait half an hour before the thing will turn on again.

I can't even run Total War Shogun 2. At all.

Pretty sure the crashing is an overheating issue. But that's not the only problem. Many, many apps, that ran perfectly well for me on a so-called inferior machine, just will not work properly. Never have done. Dell support have been as shit as you might expect, and that is the last time I'm buying a PC direct from the manufacturer.

This is what I'm probably getting next.

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/intel-14th-gen-pc-builder

Edited by Spockydog

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

My brother has been saying 'puter for twenty years.

And I too love my discs. You'll have to pull my 4k blu rays from my cold head hands. 

My Playstation disc of Final Fantasy Tactics shall outlast me!

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Dell support have been as shit as you might expect, and that is the last time I'm buying a PC direct from the manufacturer.

I've never had issues with my Dell's, though I've never had a gaming set up as that's not my thing, and sorry to hear about your bad 'puter.  Hope the next one is really good!

the company I work for just changed authenticator apps from one that was working perfectly well to one thats buggy as hell and has led to all kinds of issues for people trying to log in from home so that we have people offline for hours while our overworked IT team try to resolve the problems.

They've also migrated time recording systems to a much less efficient and easy to navigate one,.

And done some kind of email migration which has ducked up all sorts of things with permissions and distributions lists and acceptable file size etc.

Long story short, why change things that seem to work fine for something thats causing more problems?!

I've changed my job recently, and our client is a big US company that requires logins into pretty much everything to expire after somewhere between an hour and two (I still haven't figured out the exact timeout period), which is annoying as hell.

58 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I've yelled at tech for so many years, I'm fairly yelled out.  Computers, just tell me what to do and I'll do it, over and over if necessary.  

Remember the good old days when you could hit the side of a TV and hitting it actually made the TV work?

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Remember the good old days when you could hit the side of a TV and hitting it actually made the TV work?

Now that just earns you a trip to the repair shop and another $100.