Still More MLB

Jaxom 1974

why on earth should I do research because you are too lazy to?

So you are to lazy to prove your initial point? So you can spew opinions out of your ass with no data but others cannot?

I think A Rod is smart enough to see that the yankees are heading for a rough stretch. In no way am I rooting for bad yankees teams, because having the yanks in it is very good for the game, and generally adds some excitement. But seriously, I look at what they have and whats coming around and I cant see them being in the playoffs next year or the year after.

A Rod is going to leave the Yankees.

Relic,

The 1996 Yankees were not a special team. They scored 870 runs. Thats not that impressive relatively to the other AL playoff teams. In fact it might be the worst. Also they in no way the best lineup or team in the playoffs. The Indians were the best lineup and the Braves were the best team.

Guest OsRavan

i am sharing an educated opinion.

I never said YOU could not.

what i said was if you wanted citations from me, you needed to provide them as well. i dont provide citations when no one else doesnt. You can say whatever you want obviously. if you want ME to give YOU citations you need to do the same for me.

and the yankees are actually on the upswing not the downswing now. tons of elite young talent coming up

amryc,

as probably the most knowledgeable baseball person here can you chime in chemistry continuity in a batting order?

Well, it depends on what you're really asking.

First, what do you mean by chemistry? Guys who get along with each other? Or the right combination of players, so as to be able to manufacture runs? I'm assuming the latter. That you're asking if I think it's important to have a leadoff hitter who sees a lot of pitches and can get on base, a 2nd hitter who can move the runner over and also get on base, a few power guys in the middle of the order....the typical 'ideal' lineup. Right?

If that's the question, then yeah, I do think it can be important. For example, I think Soriano is a poor choice as a leadoff hitter, and that placing him there does have a negative impact on the Cubs' ability to manufacture runs. Overall, other than his speed, he's pretty much the opposite of what I want to see from a leadoff hitter, and I don't like what that does to the 'chemistry' of the lineup.

Also, I do think that having certain players (or types of players) in a lineup can affect the performance of an offense. I disagree with the idea that at-bats are entirely individual events. If a man is on first, an at-bat can be different depending on whether or not he has speed. Or whether or not the guy hitting is a capable bunter. Or whether or not the guy hitting is a top power hitter. The strategy can depend on who is on base and who is hitting...there's an interaction there.

There's also the reality that a player might be more likely to be walked if he's got a poor hitter behind him. Or he might see better pitches to hit if he's protected by an All-Star.

how are you btw? long time no talk. hows the job going?

Yeah man, I never see you on AIM anymore. Probably because I'm actually busy working now. :P

The job is awesome. I'm essentially in charge of the arbitration process at my firm this year, which is pretty damn cool. I've even got a few interns working for me. :P Just started work on our biggest cases - Miguel Cabrera, Justin Morneau, Erik Bedard, Khalil Greene, and Adam LaRoche.

Anyway, thanks for asking. We should catch up on AIM some time soon.

oh, I'm sure you are, it's just funny reading your posts stating how your opinion is a fact. But that's why everyone hates the yankees, not only do they win all the time, but the fans think they're entitled to winning so that when they do put up an inferior team, don't play good ball, and lose, somehow the yankees are still better. :thumbsup:

Don't get Os confused with all the Yankees fans. I thought they would have beat the Indians, but they got whupped pretty badly.

Don't get Os confused with all the Yankees fans. I thought they would have beat the Indians, but they got whupped pretty badly.

I heard that the Yankees were favored to win but I still don't understand it. The Yankees can't really hit when they don't play in Yankees stadium and that's against inferior teams like Baltimore and Tampa Bay. Playing against Cleveland and the home field advantage and still remaining the top pick tells me that either a lot of people think a money team can beat an actual playing team or people think that postseason experience counts.

Seiing how the Yankees lost betting on Wang and Chamberlain points to the latter. But as that's the Yankee winning pitching staff, I don't know what people were thinking. Just blame it all on Torre and look to 2008, I guess.

Ossie you're really making me not want to open any threads where you're a participant anymore.

It's not as simple as putting you on "ignore" because so much of the conversation revolves around people who think you will listen to anything they say. Your back and forth tends to suck up 90% of the posts, either driving out others, or limiting them to people who haven't read what came before.

WJ, what are the odds we see Erik Bedard in an Orioles uniform beyond 2009? I have a feeling they are slim. If there are confidentiality issues, don't worry about giving me any clues, because my pessimism will be rampant with or without any kind of answer.

It's sad because he could probably win 20 games if we ever scored runs for him, and had a bullpen that was capable of holding any kind of lead on a regular basis (especially past the month of July).

good points, I've actually had some really great baseball conversations with some real Yankees fans of late, so I know he's not a very good representation. :cheers:

Guest OsRavan

:eyes amyrc:: IF i wanted to post in that thread, I would already be posting there.

Clearly this is the topic on which I want to post on. Since I am posting here. clearly that thread means nothing to me, or I would already be posting there.

Would think that rather obviouse, but happy to clear up your confusion.

And you are correct. Most fans do not have my superior knowledge and understanding of the game. But thats alright. Not everyone can achieve as complete an understanding as I have

WJ, what are the odds we see Erik Bedard in an Orioles uniform beyond 2009? I have a feeling they are slim. If there are confidentiality issues, don't worry about giving me any clues, because my pessimism will be rampant with or without any kind of answer.

Sorry man. I wish I could answer that, but its way too confidential, like you said.

It's sad because he could probably win 20 games if we ever scored runs for him, and had a bullpen that was capable of holding any kind of lead on a regular basis (especially past the month of July).

Definitely agree with you there. He's an unbelievable pitcher. Was on pace for approximately 280 strikeouts before his injury cut him short at 221. His control was much improved this year too - only 57 walks. And a 13-5 record on that team? Huge accomplishment. He practically had to earn each one of those wins on his own.

I heard that the Yankees were favored to win but I still don't understand it. The Yankees can't really hit when they don't play in Yankees stadium and that's against inferior teams like Baltimore and Tampa Bay. Playing against Cleveland and the home field advantage and still remaining the top pick tells me that either a lot of people think a money team can beat an actual playing team or people think that postseason experience counts.

Seiing how the Yankees lost betting on Wang and Chamberlain points to the latter. But as that's the Yankee winning pitching staff, I don't know what people were thinking. Just blame it all on Torre and look to 2008, I guess.

No, it's pretty easy to see why they were favored going into the series (note, this doesn't change the fact that they were outplayed in every facet of the game by the Indians while actually playing this series). First, they have an edge in reputation and experience, for whatever good that might do. Second, they were the best team in baseball since the All-Star break, whereas (IIRC) the Indians had a couple of offensively dreadful slumps that nearly let Detroit back in. Finally, the Yankees swept the season series vs. Cleveland 6 games to 0, with three in New York and three in Cleveland. I think the Yankees deserved to be favored in that scenario.

Also, I don't think anybody predicted Wang pitching that badly. Getting outpitched by Sabathia maybe, but not blowing those two games like that. Jeez.

i am sharing an educated opinion.

I never said YOU could not.

what i said was if you wanted citations from me, you needed to provide them as well. i dont provide citations when no one else doesnt. You can say whatever you want obviously. if you want ME to give YOU citations you need to do the same for me.

Wow. An Os statement that should finally and completely blow up the bullshit-o-meter. Even when he tells a bald faced lie, at least he's still ::amused:: Tell me again why Os is the lovable man-child here abouts again? Who's got the "lying lair who lies" thread link again to disprove this entire statement?

I like the part in this argument where the Yankees lose.

Not that's sig worthy! :lol:

and the yankees have the best team and the most talent in baseball who got bumped from the first round of the playoffs.

There. Finished that sentence for accuracy.

Guest OsRavan

the best and most talented team. period. past present and future.

and uhh jax. ive made that exact same statement DOZENS of times. litteraly. Nor do I find it hypocritical.

I find it rather arrogant for you to demand citations and sources from me if you are unwilling to provide them yourself.

IF you want *ME* to provide sources you do so first. I dont think thats unreasonable. I think its arrogant to think you can demand OTHER people do serious research to back up their claims, but you dont have to.

Howard Bryant, professional sportswriter vs. OsRavan, amatuer smack talker. Who's more believeable? Ready, GO!

Cleveland was the better team, deeper in starting pitching while the Yankees played two home games with their starters, Wang and Clemens, combining for 3 1/3 innings. Once the Yankees' exclusive province, the Indians performed in the moments that separate playoff winners and losers. The Yankees, meanwhile, were comforted by big names, but were confounded by their continued inaction. Cleveland received performances, while the Yankees waited.

or

the best and most talented team. period. past present and future.

Edit to add link.

Guest OsRavan

OsRavan of course. I gaurentee you more people here have heard of me then him. For that matter, what is your definition of a professional sports writer? I consider myself to be one as well

I gaurentee you more people here have heard of me then him.

:lol: Might even be true.

For that matter, what is your definition of a professional sports writer?

Someone who gets paid to write about sports. Unless their name is Bill Simmons.

Archived