"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

Over the past week I have received The Weavers of Saramyr and The Skein of Lament by Chris Wooding. They are books 1 and 2 of his braided path series (I already have book three).

I also received my ARC copy of Stealing Light by Gary Gibson that I won online.

Over the past week I have received The Weavers of Saramyr and The Skein of Lament by Chris Wooding. They are books 1 and 2 of his braided path series (I already have book three).

I'd be very interested to hear what these are like. The Fade was fab.

I just placed an order with Amazon for:

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

The Darkness That Comes Before - R. Scott Bakker

The Last Kingdom - Bernard Cornwell

...the Abercrombie and Bakker came highly recommended and talked about by folks here and on various blogs (plus, Joe seems like a genuinely cool guy from the thread here, and I'm fine plopping down cash for that fact alone :) ), and the Cornwell was a random pick-up to get free shipping; but after looking around at various opinions, it seems like I may have made a better choice than I expected.

Just placed a huge order:

Solaris Book of New Fantasy

History and Culture of Ireland- Brewer

Russka- Rutherfurd

Law of Dreams- Behrens

Fables 1001: Willingham

Conan and the Midnight God

Greenmantle- De Lint

The Somnambulist- Barnes

Hiero's Journey- Lanier

Effigy- York

Iditarod

Hoshino's Alaska

Nat. Geographic Treasures of Alaska

Massacre of Fort William Henry

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little buying even though I shouldn't this close to Christmas :uhoh:

The Forever War, Joe Haldeman

Beowulf, translated by John McNamara

Devices and Desires, KJ Parker

Tales of the Dying Earth, Jack Vance (I thought I had this one but turned out I didn't, oops)

The Weavers of Saramyr, Chris Wooding

Solaris Book of New Fantasy

Also found some at one of the local used store, hardcovers of Foreigner and Invader by CJ Cherryh. I have both of these in paperback but they're getting a bit worn. I also got Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz and I almost got Helliconia Spring by Brian Aldriss. I may have to go back for it.

I is now the owner of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, two years after everyone was raving about it. I had actually entered the bookshop in search of some Elric, but had a crappy skiffy section. Almost bought another huge book about WW2 (Nemesis, the Battle for Japan 1944-45 by Max Hastings*) before common sense prevailed.

*it's stirred something of a controversy down here, doesn't paint a pretty picture of the last years of the Australian war effort.

The SF Book CLub was having a 50% off sale so I got a little carried away and picked up

The Second Chronicles of Amber Roger Zelazny

The Runes of the Earth Stephen Donaldson

Fatal Revenant Stephen Donaldson

Murder in Lamut Raymond Feist

Honored Enemy Raymond Feist

The Blood Knight Greg Keyes

Unfortunately they hadn't come in before I got back from the bookstore where I'd bought

Winterbirth Brian Ruckley

The Blade Itself Joe Abercrombie

Cursor's Fury Jim Butcher

Buying new books...it's like an addiction . On the plus side, I should be all set for a month or two.

Just bought these books based on Larry's, Jay's and Amazon.com Editors picks lists:

(my Christmas reading by the way)

Dan Simmons - The Terror

Gene Wolfe - The Knight

Gene Wolfe - The Wizard

Michael Cisco - The Traitor

Brian Francis Slattery - Spaceman Blues: A Love Song

David Anthony Durham - Acacia

Sapkowski (iirc) - The Last Wish

Viscous flows by Ockendon and Ockendon - just to get a basic book about fluid flow

Life in Moving Fluids by Steven Vogel - I was pissed off at getting the first edition rather than the second, revised and expanded edition of this book. Then again the 2nd edition has a schematic of a human penis to discuss flow from a nozzle/orifice so I guess I should be glad.

Both these books were used and therefore cheap.

Recently bought

The Inferior - Peadar Ó Guilín,

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill,

Before they are hanged- Joe Abercrombie,

Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper,

Hunters Run by a couple of authors :) and The Wizard Knight - Gene Wolfe

Just placed another order for The Enymion Omnibus - Dan Simmons, Peace and War - Joe Haldeman and Severain of the Guild(book of the new sun omnibus) by Gene Wolfe

I've gotta get my book buying habits under control.

I managed to get:

Gates of Fire by Steve Pressfield

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

I'm finishing up Perdido Street Station now and will read Gates of Fire next. I think I'll go out and buy The Scar or Iron Council as well since I'm liking Mieville so much.

Archived