Republic of Thieves- Lynch book III

Calibandar

And the GRRM blurb really fills in the dead spot in the upper left corner.

That blurb looks like something that might have been written for "Lies of Locke Lamora"! Did GRRM even read this book? Maybe by now he's thinking "getting old, where has the freshness gone?" but they just intend on using his old quotes all the way to book 7!!!

That blurb looks like something that might have been written for "Lies of Locke Lamora"! Did GRRM even read this book? Maybe by now he's thinking "getting old, where has the freshness gone?" but they just intend on using his old quotes all the way to book 7!!!

That's industry standard practice. They're still using cover blurbs for the first book of ASoIaF on Book 4, and for the first book of Wheel of Time on Book 12.

Yeah, they usually put it under the heading "More praise for Scott Lynch" or something as opposed to "Praise for Republic of Thieves."

Robert Jordan has been the modern Tolkein for 20 years now! :lol:

Meh, after waiting almost a decade for Martin to finish what is essentially one book, the wait for Lynch is nothing.

That Martin guy has done you a huge favour then as he as made it possible to see delays as a minor thing. 2 years? No sweat :)

That Martin guy has done you a huge favour then as he as made it possible to see delays as a minor thing. 2 years? No sweat :)

It's true. I used to be impatient to get the next book in a series; now, who cares? There are tons of other books out there to read. I have doubts we'll ever see the end of this ASoIaF, and I'm OK with that. The series is great, but it's not worth it. No piece of writing is.

• 4 weeks later...

Just browsing amazon and they still seem to think "the bastards and the knives" will be out at some point. Does anyone know if that side-story project has been officially abandoned? I was under the impression it had.

Just browsing amazon and they still seem to think "the bastards and the knives" will be out at some point. Does anyone know if that side-story project has been officially abandoned? I was under the impression it had.

It's still under contract to Gollancz and Sub Press. I imagine Gollancz and Bantam USA might prefer it if Lynch got on with Book 4 (The Thorn of Emberlain) ASAP in case that takes as long as RoT, but if Lynch is still sticking to his original plan it will be the next project post-Thieves.

It's still under contract to Gollancz and Sub Press. I imagine Gollancz and Bantam USA might prefer it if Lynch got on with Book 4 (The Thorn of Emberlain) ASAP in case that takes as long as RoT, but if Lynch is still sticking to his original plan it will be the next project post-Thieves.

I can see how his publishers might want him to just get on with it. I would still like to read the side/prequel capers at some stage though - especially if we got to see some of the old crew. Still it may be easy to work on some short stories whenever he hits a brick wall with book 4.

Not really, there's lots of threads like that.

The "nearly maxed out" part is what fascinates me about this thread. RSURS came out in July '07 and The Name of the Wind came out in March '07, but this thread is 20 pages while The Wise Man's Fear thread is only 5 (8 if you add the 3 page excerpt thread that Pat started).

Not even The Gathering Storm maxed out a thread before release (although the "Sanderson to finish WoT" did get maxed out, which I'm sure included a lot of discussion/speculation about the actual book, but I didn't follow it so I don't know for sure).

There's a lot of love for Lynch on this board.

The "nearly maxed out" part is what fascinates me about this thread. RSURS came out in July '07 and The Name of the Wind came out in March '07, but this thread is 20 pages while The Wise Man's Fear thread is only 5 (8 if you add the 3 page excerpt thread that Pat started).

Not even The Gathering Storm maxed out a thread before release (although the "Sanderson to finish WoT" did get maxed out, which I'm sure included a lot of discussion/speculation about the actual book, but I didn't follow it so I don't know for sure).

There's a lot of love for Lynch on this board.

It probably helps that the last book ended with a pretty big cliffhanger, while NotW just stopped. It makes it easier to speculate on Lynch's follow up, especially since Rothfuss has told us most of what happens in the series with regards to Kvothe's past.

Archived