Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 Thread

Werthead

[quote name='Lightsnake' post='1311568' date='Apr 12 2008, 14.54']The Tory bit just seemed...unnecessary at best.

And if Cally finds out about Galen, she might just run crying into Baltar's arms. OH, and let's not forget there are a LOT of Sharons. But honestly, this is getting silly.[/quote]

Even if your not in the Fleet, you can't resist an order from One-Eyed Tigh.

Its Saul [i]frakkin'[/i] Tigh. Would you mess with that motherfrakker?

[quote name='Mandy' post='1306448' date='Apr 8 2008, 15.44']I agree... ALMOST. But hey, with that picture on scifi mimicking the Last Supper, I don't doubt that's where it's going.[/quote]

[url="http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/04/ron-moore-on-ba.html"]According to RDM[/url], the concept for the picture came from Entertainment Weekly; he's also said that the Baltar storyline is not about being a savior. So I don't think that's where the show is going.

On the numbering, the original fan spec was that the Final One was 1, the Significant Seven were 2-8 and the Penultimate Four were 9-12. Obviously this goes out the window if the Cavills are 1 instead. Maybe the Final One is just #7 for some reason? Odd stuff.

What is interesting is the question if the Final One is yet another, different entity to the Seven and the Four, or if he/she is a member of the Four but for whatever reason wasn't able to get to the meeting with the rest? I've seen speculation that the Final One could be Captain Kelly and he wasn't at the meeting because he's still in prison, but that seems like a random choice to me. He's hardly a front-line character.

Anyway, good ep, although when Dualla gave Lee his [i]Pegasus[/i] pips I was waiting for someone to yell out, "Yeah, you got our badass ship blown up loser!" from the back ;) The scene where the Centurions dish out the pain was also very well-done. This season certainly has regained some of the feel of Season 1/2 with each episode bleeding into the next one and a general sense of momentum building.

[quote name='Mandy' post='1311711' date='Apr 12 2008, 20.12']I do really LOVE where the Cylon storyline is going as far as them wanting to make the rangers labotomized and making the toasters sentient with decision making abilities. THAT they could do a lot with.[/quote]

Yeah, it was awesome when Six told Cavil that she had the Centurions upgraded. I suppose this means that the lobotomizing of the Raiders is going to stop, and each side with have a force at their disposal?

My favorite part of the episode was Lee's party. I loved when he toasted the Admiral, and everyone cheer, and then he said "who commands the men and women of Galactica!" and they cheered even louder. I found it hilarious because it was so true.

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1311298' date='Apr 12 2008, 08.05']Saw the latest episode. Pretty good, but the best was that they finally gave the humanoid cylons their numbers. The Cavils are 1, Leobens are 2, the Simons are 4. That means that 7, 9, 10 and 11 are not revealed yet.

Tyrol is of course 12. Hm, the numbering doesn't add up right do they. Why would the final five be numbered 7, 9, 10, 11, and 12? Ah well, I'm sure it's gonna be revealed to us in the end.[/quote]

Why is Tyrol number 12? And I agree with Ran...I think Sharon was given #8 before they ever thought up this whole "final 5" thing. My guess is they originally thought that they'd just introduce 12 models over the course of the show. Gives me trepidation about the "final 5" story line.

[quote]I'm certain he wouldn't have a chance with Cally Tyrol. I also don't think he has yet got it on with any of Sharon model Cylons.[/quote]

I believe the comment was about Baltar getting together with the [i]attractive[/i] women...

I definitely liked the cylon arc in this ep. I was quite horrified when Cavil wanted the raiders lobotomized. I'm actually quite happy that those models were shot to bits when the centurions(?) found out.

Otherwise, I'm really confused about where this is all going.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1311754' date='Apr 12 2008, 19.57']Why is Tyrol number 12? And I agree with Ran...I think Sharon was given #8 before they ever thought up this whole "final 5" thing. My guess is they originally thought that they'd just introduce 12 models over the course of the show. Gives me trepidation about the "final 5" story line.[/quote]

No question about it. Te writers admitted to not knowing who the "Final 4" were until some point into S3.

[quote]The board has affected my viewing, though - during the Starbuck scenes with Roslin, all I could think was 'well EHK should be happy now!'[/quote]

Heh...I'm glad it was brought up. But it still seems quite silly to me that it wasn't brought up in the initial argument. You know, before Kara felt the need to go all Rambo. Still no mention of the mutiny. And still no mention from the other characters.

Overall I liked where the Cylon storyline was going though. I actually felt it was significant enough to deserve the main focus of this episode. Would have liked to have seen more. It was interesting and compelling...but it seemed to be missing some transition bits here and there. The plotting and decision-making that eventually led to the decision for Civil War would have been more interesting than Baltar banging yet another hottie.

Pretty good episode though.

[quote name='Mandy' post='1311711' date='Apr 13 2008, 01.12']I do really LOVE where the Cylon storyline is going as far as them wanting to make the rangers labotomized and making the toasters sentient with decision making abilities. THAT they could do a lot with.[/quote]

:stunned: *Has sudden vision of the Cylons messing around inside Viggo Mortensen's skull.*

:P

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1311754' date='Apr 13 2008, 01.57']Why is Tyrol number 12? And I agree with Ran...I think Sharon was given #8 before they ever thought up this whole "final 5" thing. My guess is they originally thought that they'd just introduce 12 models over the course of the show. Gives me trepidation about the "final 5" story line.[/quote]

I think this is debated. In an interview around the time [i]Downloaded[/i] was aired (the ep where we found out that Sharon was #8) I vaguely recall someone asking RDM why we don't see models we are unfamiliar with wandering around on Caprica, and he mentioned that another model would be revealed soon (Cavill) but there was a reason we hadn't seen the others. Maybe they didn't have the precise idea of what to do with the Final Five, but I think it was on the cards that there would be a different faction of Cylons wandering around out there.

[quote name='Lightsnake' post='1311804' date='Apr 13 2008, 04.49']Pause.

.....since when the HECK is Cally unattractive?![/quote]

[url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodHomely"]Hollywood Homely[/url]

Cally (or at least the actress playing her - different hairstyle, make-up, clothes can make quite a difference) is a very cute girl.

As for #7, a wild hunch of me is that this could be an FF model that is identical (as far as the "hardware" goes) to either model 6 or model 8, assuming that there is a master plan and that one of the FF has been placed undercover (and as a sleeper) among the 7.

Speaking of model 8, I am extremely disappointed with the writers for the way they are apparently going with Boomer. The character from "Downloaded" and before is now almost completely unrecognizable, and that without any decent evolution or explanation for the shift shown on screen. Seems like the writer just decided at some point that she is now evil, probably because they felt the need for a counterpoint to Athena, and didn't bother to devote any screentime to explain how it got that far, or make it believable. Unless it turns out that Boomer's actions in the last episode aren't what they seem to be (that she wanted to cause a civil war for example, and was playing both sides in the vote), but I'm quickly losing hope that this is the case.
Note also that Boomer was the "ballerina-8" shown immediately after the credits.

The Cylon storyline was otherwise the best part of the episode, though. Some of Cavil's lines were pure gold, and Natalie is a very interesting new six. The Cylons deserve more screentime, with plots like those.

I am happy that the Demetrius mission is already starting, I was fearing there would be more Starbuck angst on Galactica first. I was not happy with the Lee send-off; Athena and him seemed much more friendly to each other than their relationship up to this point warrants (he always barely tolerated her), and the whole scene was a bit excessive. He's more or less deserting his post, as Galactica's most experienced Viper pilot by far. Who is left, with Starbuck out of commission, of the original pilots from the mini? No one, I think, as it looks like S1 nugget Hotdog is now about the most experienced Viper pilot remaining besides possibly some Pegasus pilots.

SPOILER: next episode

From teasers, it seems that in the next episode Cally attacks Tyrol (she probably finds out he's a Cylon) and it looks she is in turn killed by one of the Four - there is a suggestion that Tory uses an airlock for that, allthough the teaser may be misleading on that point. Would be a pity.

With the Cylons, Cavil resurrects (and we probably find out that Boomer is his rumoured "love interest"), and Natalie may be losing control over the now sentient centurions. She is seen adding "please" to an order in one scene, and in another there is a very brief flash of her running for her life from an explosion or fire. Either the sentient Centurions turn on her or Cavil and co launch a counterattack.

Head-6 has been replaced by Head-Baltar (already seen with Caprica-6, the flesh-and-bone one).

The in-universe theory is that the change is there because Baltar has now truly accepted the one God as his.

My guess for the reason the change was made is that Trica Helfer will be busy playing Natalie and Caprica-Six already (+perhaps some generic 6's); lots of screentime and something has to give?

I've seen one interesting speculation that when Six sees Baltar, or Baltar sees Six, they represent individuals that are loved, and love is the nature of God. So Baltar's head-Six and Six's head-Baltar represent the voice of God.

But when what you see in your head is yourself, it's an expression of selfishness, and that suggest Baltar's head-self and Six's head-self are in fact the voice of ... well, the Devil (or evil, more generically). It'd be interesting to look back and see when the head-types are pushing one towards good or bad ends, but it seems a bit too artifical to be correct speculation.

I don't think Boomer's all that hard to figure out.

They found out she was a Cylon and eveyone turned on her. Even the Chief. The entire crew of Galactica hated her, and then Cally killed her (and all she was charged with was "Unauthorized Discharge of a Firearm", although I'm sure she didn't find that out till later).

So, she teams up with Caprica-6, and they convince the rest of the Cylons to try and live peacefully with the humans. She's become pretty damn Cylon by that point too. And what happens when she tries to make piece? The Colonials start a terrorist campaign against the Cylons.

Why SHOULD she be fond of them at this point?

Archived