Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 Thread

Werthead

[quote name='Bormon']My crackpot theory is that everything that happens ties into christian mythology, that somehow we are the decendants of the Cylon / Human hybrids.[/quote]

That's probably the one explanation I don't want to be true, though I'm not quite sure why.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1306185' date='Apr 8 2008, 12.53']That's probably the one explanation I don't want to be true, though I'm not quite sure why.[/quote]

Because any Sci-Fi story that ends with 2 people on earth who end up as Adam and Eve is lame. By definition.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1306185' date='Apr 8 2008, 18.53']That's probably the one explanation I don't want to be true, though I'm not quite sure why.[/quote]
I can explain why I really don't want that to be the case: Relying on Christian mythology as the basis our origins is is ethnocentric, and quite frankly, reminds me of creationism and IDiots. It's unpalatable and unoriginal.

[quote name='Shryke']Because any Sci-Fi story that ends with 2 people on earth who end up as Adam and Eve is lame. By definition.[/quote]

[quote name='potsherds']I can explain why I really don't want that to be the case: Relying on Christian mythology as the basis our origins is is ethnocentric, and quite frankly, reminds me of creationism and IDiots. It's unpalatable and unoriginal.[/quote]

Ah yes, those were the reasons. Thanks.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1306206' date='Apr 8 2008, 11.01']Because any Sci-Fi story that ends with 2 people on earth who end up as Adam and Eve is lame. By definition.[/quote]
You have NO sense of good fiction.

[i]18 And the LORD Zarek said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him, only shall she be more manly.” 19 Out of the ground the LORD Zarek formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam-a to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam-a called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So Adam-a gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field and he named them for his fallen angels; Chuckles and Hot Dog and Kat. But for Adam-a there was not found a helper comparable to him.
21 And the LORD Zarek caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam-a, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
23 And Adam-a said:
“This is now bone of my bones
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man.
and because [b]I LOVE KARA THRACE![/b]."[/i]

And don't even get me started on how Eve ultimately gets tempted out of Eden by her Viper....

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1306240' date='Apr 8 2008, 14.20']You have NO sense of good fiction.

[i]18 And the LORD Zarek said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him, only shall she be more manly.” 19 Out of the ground the LORD Zarek formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam-a to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam-a called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So Adam-a gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field and he named them for his fallen angels; Chuckles and Hot Dog and Kat. But for Adam-a there was not found a helper comparable to him.
21 And the LORD Zarek caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam-a, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
23 And Adam-a said:
And flesh of my flesh;

And don't even get me started on how Eve ultimately gets tempted out of Eden by her Viper....[/quote]

Good Stuff!!! :thumbsup:

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1306240' date='Apr 8 2008, 18.20']You have NO sense of good fiction.

23 And Adam-a said:
And flesh of my flesh;

And don't even get me started on how Eve ultimately gets tempted out of Eden by her Viper....[/quote]
:rofl: :rofl: Bronn, that's sig-able, were it not so long. :P

[quote name='Shryke' post='1306004' date='Apr 8 2008, 12.35']I'm still sticking with my theory that the Colonials are just another kind of manufactured being. Like even more advanced Cylons. Basically, something with the Maelstrom where Kara died put her close enough to Earth for them to download her Cylon style. The (real) humans then put her in a new body, built her a new fighter and sent her home to lead the 2 fleets back to them.

The "All this has happened before, all this will happen again" thing is because Cylons and Colonials are both, in some fashion, machines. Deterministic machines, to some degree. They follow the same patterns over and over again.[/quote]

That is exactly what I think will happen too.

To me, it is the most obvious ending.

I'm increasingly thinking that there is only one way for [b]BSG[/b] to end and be true to itself. The finale ends with [i]everyone[/i] dying. The fleet is destroyed, Earth (if they find it) is devastated, the Cylons are destroyed and just for the sheer hell of it the entire Galaxy explodes or something in the last moment (okay, maybe not the last bit).

Because if there was a happy ending, it wouldn't be [b]BSG[/b]. And RDM has been ominously saying that he wants to do an ending that has people talking as much as [b]Sopranos[/b]' did. And I don't think an American TV show has ever gone down the ultra-nihilistic route (although British TV has, with [b]Blake's 7[/b] among others) before.

[quote name='Blanc de Wert '79' post='1307863' date='Apr 9 2008, 20.17']I'm increasingly thinking that there is only one way for [b]BSG[/b] to end and be true to itself. The finale ends with [i]everyone[/i] dying. The fleet is destroyed, Earth (if they find it) is devastated, the Cylons are destroyed and just for the sheer hell of it the entire Galaxy explodes or something in the last moment (okay, maybe not the last bit).

Because if there was a happy ending, it wouldn't be [b]BSG[/b]. And RDM has been ominously saying that he wants to do an ending that has people talking as much as [b]Sopranos[/b]' did. And I don't think an American TV show has ever gone down the ultra-nihilistic route (although British TV has, with [b]Blake's 7[/b] among others) before.[/quote]

There is such a thing as bittersweet endings Werthead.

Ultra-nihilistic ending would be as boring as a sugarsweet happy one.

[quote name='Je Est Un Autre' post='1308140' date='Apr 9 2008, 22.34']There is such a thing as bittersweet endings Werthead.

Ultra-nihilistic ending would be as boring as a sugarsweet happy one.[/quote]

True ;) It also puts people off from watching it in the future. "So everyone dies in the last ep? What's the point of that?" [b]Blake's 7[/b]'s certainly had that problem over the years (hmm, that may have to be a rewatch thread at some point).

I finally got a chance to watch the first episode last night and overall, I liked it quite a bit. Although I'm still not really happy with four (five) of the established cast having been Cylons "from the beginning" based on what we know of the original seven, but I do like all their worried, knowing glances at each other during the show. "For all we know, there could be Cylons in the room with us" or whatever Adama said was particularly funny when about half the people in the room at the time [i]were[/i] cylons. I suppose if they finally explain the differences between the final five and the original seven, I could come to terms with it, but for now, they've still got some 'splainin' to do...

I liked Baltar's "Right..." at the end of his introduction to the Cult of Baltar, too. His "You know what, I think I do!" boob comment was great, too. The main thing I didn't like about his plotline so far was his "kill me instead of the kid" bit. This gets way overused in things and practically always ends up sending the wrong message, because the person invoking it rarely, if ever, actually does [i]die[/i] for the person they're saving. Sure, he seemed to be sincerely willing to actually die for the kid, but once again, they both end up living, just because he was [i]willing[/i] to die. Getting the reward without paying the price seems like cheating.

This episode makes me want to play freespace 2...

Heh, can you imagine: the humans & cylon fleets jump into orbit over earth, only to find a fleet of 5 [i]SJ Sathanas[/i], backed up by [i]SC Cains[/i],[i] SC Rakshasas[/i] and [i]SCv Molochs[/i]!

Now that would be epic! (and I do wonder how/if the vipers and raiders would stand up to Mara fighters...)

[quote name='Sad King Billy' post='1310163' date='Apr 11 2008, 11.56']This episode makes me want to play freespace 2...

Heh, can you imagine: the humans & cylon fleets jump into orbit over earth, only to find a fleet of 5 [i]SJ Sathanas[/i], backed up by [i]SC Cains[/i],[i] SC Rakshasas[/i] and [i]SCv Molochs[/i]!

Now that would be epic! (and I do wonder how/if the vipers and raiders would stand up to Mara fighters...)[/quote]

I gather you've played the demo for [url="http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36"][i]Beyond the Red Line[/i][/url], the [b]BSG[/b] total conversion for [i]Freespace 2[/i]? If you wanted to you could extract the Raider and Viper models and put them into a free-for-all with FS2 ships.

Saw the latest episode. Pretty good, but the best was that they finally gave the humanoid cylons their numbers. The Cavils are 1, Leobens are 2, the Simons are 4. That means that 7, 9, 10 and 11 are not revealed yet.

Tyrol is of course 12. Hm, the numbering doesn't add up right do they. Why would the final five be numbered 7, 9, 10, 11, and 12? Ah well, I'm sure it's gonna be revealed to us in the end.

The general speculation I've seen is that it had been established Sharon was #8 before this Moore and co. had come up with the idea of the "final five", so they locked themselves into having that gap. But who knows, they make some sort of explanation for it in the series.

[quote]Are there any attractive women on this show Baltar isn't going to sleep with?[/quote]

I'm certain he wouldn't have a chance with Cally Tyrol. I also don't think he has yet got it on with any of Sharon model Cylons.

Archived