FOOTBALL!

Mathis

This is just comical. All football matches should be played in the middle of thunderstorms. :lol:

Looks like a fairly even game, but the Swiss have tested the keeper more often. And now they've scored. The ball was nicely held up by the puddle for an easy tap-in.

They cannot dribble the ball down the field at all. It just gets stuck, they are gong to have to use long passes and strikes to get the ball down the field and score. A blocked ball will not rebound that far and could be an easy chip in today.

Its ridiculous. :stunned: This stadium will be used for 2 quarter finals and a semi. Lets hope it doesn't rain during those matchs. Or even, lets hope the pitch can recover from this! Looks like they forgot to put in proper drainage.

Turkey are the better passing team but can't play in these conditions. Ideal for Switzerland. Turkey had started well enough before the rain.

Nevermind brazillians, I am thinking there are a few people who could have qualified to play for Cabo Verde playing on the tournament

Gelson Fernandes
Henrik Larsson ( one parent right?)
Nani ( both parents, though actually born in Lisbon though there is confusion about it. OTOH it was his father saying so and his father is not totally sure how many kids he has, so maybe not trustworthy after all ;)

if Jorge Andrade was fit, him as well. maybe a few more I am not aware of. For a very small archipelago, if they counted children of immigrants round the world they could play a non-official XI of very nice potential!

I hope for the Turkish dude who plays and scored for SW, that he won't enter Turkey in the next, oh I don't know, 10 years.

That first goal. :lol: You'd have to be a blind legless centenarian to not score in that situation.

Chelsea have just announced (in the middle of the game, no less) that Scolari is taking charge at Stamford Bridge next month.

Interesting. Wonder what Teresa will think of that? :)

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1394261' date='Jun 11 2008, 19.55']Ok. Maybe what I said came across badly. I'm not sure it was laziness basicly. Greece were defending for much of the game. There was an (inevitable) slight loss of concentration where they didn't react well to Larsson and Ibrahimovic and suddenly it was a goal. I thought Sweden worked it well, they probed until Greece made an error. You could blame Greece but IMO it was more Sweden's nice invention. I've seen a lot worse defending. Instead it was "slight mistake" and then goal...

Maybe it even was laziness but the Greek players are very rarely lazy. Analysts always have to blame the defenders for every goal sometimes.[/quote]
It's amusing, because in the BBC highlights late that night, they'd singled out that player and showed some clips of his (extremely) tenacious play.
They described him as the beast because of his bravery in going in for challenges and headers without hesitation, winning pretty much all of them.
And then, in the second half, he sort of lost it and switched off for that one moment, causing the goal.

[quote name='Paddiano Ronaldo' post='1394370' date='Jun 11 2008, 21.13']Chelsea have just announced (in the middle of the game, no less) that Scolari is taking charge at Stamford Bridge next month.

Interesting. Wonder what Teresa will think of that? :)[/quote]

That I want to see what Scolari says about that ;) Very peculiar to announce it during a match. Portuguese press missed that one ( major chaos with transports and fuel and portugal plays). Scolari was having an interview live on the 8 pm news, it´s peculiar.

[quote name='cteresa' post='1394391' date='Jun 11 2008, 21.29']That I want to see what Scolari says about that ;) Very peculiar to announce it during a match. Portuguese press missed that one ( major chaos with transports and fuel and portugal plays). Scolari was having an interview live on the 8 pm news, it´s peculiar.[/quote]
Chelsea have come right out and said it with an official announcement. I find it hard to believe that they would risk the embarrassment unless it was a done deal.

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1393654' date='Jun 11 2008, 13.40']... and that's not even counting the 'colonials' in the French squad.[/quote]
Heh?

[quote name='Jorgen2720' post='1393678' date='Jun 11 2008, 14.03']Granted, Nistelrooy's strike was offside,[/quote]
TOGBUI SIGHS.

Poor Switzerland. I thought they played quite well, and Turkey's Goalie was probably the Man of the Match.

ETA: Statement from Chelsea:

[quote]"Out of respect for his current role as head coach of the Portuguese national team, and to ensure minimum disruption to this work, there will be no further comment from Chelsea FC nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences."[/quote]

WTF? That's why they announced it two games into a major tournament, then. Classy. :rolleyes:

and Portugal is through to the quarters now :) Pity about not being a tie, poor Switzerland ( OTOH these two places for co-hosts is ANNOYING ) but will do. First place in group is not assured yet, let´s see how Germany does tomorrow to see what team to field sunday :)

Scolari, very weird all around, but my energies are really not turned towards what comes next month or clubs in England. But is is very weird timing.

[quote name='Bastard of Godsgrace' post='1394420' date='Jun 11 2008, 12.44']What are the regulations saying?[/quote]

Tie breakers
If teams finish level on points, then the winner of the match between the sides in question will finish highest, or should they have drawn, goal difference, followed by goals scored, qualifying record for the 2002 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2004â„¢, a fair play ranking and finally either a penalty shoot-out or drawing of lots.

Archived