FOOTBALL!

Mathis

Despite their lack of defensive fibers (as that 4-1 goal just now demonstrates) the russians look good, at least offensively. A couple of shots that hit the post, several shots just outside and some unlucky touches in good opportunities.

And with Arshavin back when they meet the swedes it's gonna be good. :P

Crap, I say something half insightful and Spain surprise me by playing counter attack... ;)

So Villa gets a hat-trick and Fabregas adds his first goal with the Furia Roja. By the way, that 3rd goal by Villa was a beauty. I liked that dribble quite a lot.

Great match by Xavi. Flawless in the pass and very good in the defense.

I think the game was over at 3-0. Not because of the result, but because the players were exhausted... Those last 2 goals were caused by the player's exhaustion. Villa and Silva couldn't barely move, and the Russians were even more spent.

All in all, I liked the result and the fact that we have an excellent attack and plenty of solutions up there. But we still have a lot to look at and many many things to adjust.

Yes. Spain showed a lot of style but they will have to have a serious look at their defence (is Sergio Ramos normally that bad at defending?). Russia are a country that like to be in possession also and did some neat passing. They could recover from this if they get some of the luck they didn't have this time. But Spain are probably the most exciting attacking team in the competition. Hope they can keep it up but they will definitely have tougher oppositions. A defensive team will be the real test.

Speaking of which...

Greece are playing with 3 central defenders against the semi retired Swedes. Nice. :P I hope people have a nice comfy seat!

amusing commentary from ESPN:
[quote]42' Some light relief comes in the form of a full on kick in the pods for Ibrahimovic from Bassinas. Funny for everyone, apart from Zlata.

40' How on earth did this side win the thing in 2004? Astonishing. They should be thrown out of the tournament on the strength of that passage of play alone.[/quote]

[quote]40' How on earth did this side win the thing in 2004? Astonishing. They should be thrown out of the tournament on the strength of that passage of play alone.[/quote]
Yes. I can guess that they were talking about. :P

The Greeks have been solid in defence like usual although if the Swedes had a fresher team they might have caused more problems. A few times the Swedes broke the Greek cover but they aren't getting enough players in to help. Wilhelmson is doing good. Not much attacking play from Greece although Haristeas is decent.

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1392580' date='Jun 10 2008, 22.46']The Greeks have been solid in defence like usual although if the Swedes had a fresher team they might have caused more problems. A few times the Swedes broke the Greek cover but they aren't getting enough players in to help. Wilhelmson is doing good. Not much attacking play from Greece although Haristeas is decent.[/quote]

Yes, defense has always been our strong point but it is embarrassing to see a game like that. I was hoping for something better. You can't win any games by playing defense only... Sadly 0-0 seems very likely right now.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1392605' date='Jun 10 2008, 21.52']Yes, defense has always been our strong point but it is embarrassing to see a game like that. I was hoping for something better. You can't win any games by playing defense only... Sadly 0-0 seems very likely right now.[/quote]

well, you had your chance to pick a real team...any team

[quote name='Kijko Rijkaard' post='1392632' date='Jun 10 2008, 23.01']well, you had your chance to pick a real team...any team[/quote]

I'll still stick with my team, thank you very much. :)

What's up with all the yellow cards anyway? It seems pretty one-sided to me.

Archived