FOOTBALL!

Mathis

[quote name='Herekleides' post='1393956' date='Jun 11 2008, 17.59']Nuno Gomez could not make mince meat with a blender, some braising steak and Delia Smith's How to Cook, complete with Portuguese translation.[/quote]
Hah! Nuno Gomez has already started his task by setting up C. Ronaldo and Deco for the first of the half dozen goals Portugal will score tonight.

[quote]Hah! Nuno Gomez has already started his task by setting up C. Ronaldo and Deco for the first of the half dozen goals Portugal will score tonight.[/quote]

followed by

[quote]And its 1-1.[/quote]

:rofl:

How come even a Portugal supporter can't spell "Gomes"?

And how has Matejovsky escaped at least a booking for the stuff he pulled? On the plus side, if he keeps it up we might get to see a full blown brawl before the end of the match, the fouls were definitely getting nastier towards the end of the first half.

[quote name='Jean AS' post='1394016' date='Jun 11 2008, 17.50']How come even a Portugal supporter can't spell "Gomes"?

And how has Matejovsky escaped at least a booking for the stuff he pulled? On the plus side, if he keeps it up we might get to see a full blown brawl before the end of the match, the fouls were definitely getting nastier towards the end of the first half.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with them tackles. Thats how I like to see the game played!

You see Ronaldo fall to the floor after the Czech players hand brushed his face. Pathetic.

[quote name='LessThanLuke']Nothing wrong with them tackles. Thats how I like to see the game played![/quote]

Mastejovsky in particular had a few scenes where he seemed to be deliberately stepping on/kicking at players that were down.

First half, Czechs were the better team maybe 55-45. Second half, Portugal were the better team, probably 60-40. I didn't like the Czech play on the Ronaldo goal; there were five red shirts between him and Cech, and it's not like any of them were marking someone else. Good shot by Ronaldo, but ick.

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1393967' date='Jun 11 2008, 17.03']Bah. Yes I can say it was offside because um its was. "its only offside if the ref gives it" is a stupid statement. Thats like saying that if someone punches a player but the ref dosen't see it/give it the punch wasn't a foul/card.[/quote]

Poor analogy. Punching someone isn't a matter of interpretation of the laws, as offside is (this one was, anyway). A better analogy would be if a player is fouled, but the ref judges it not to be a direct free kick, it isn't a direct free kick. Maybe it [i]should[/i] have been, but it isn't.

Anyway, it has been pretty conclusively demonstrated that under the laws of the game as they stand, the goal was definitively onside. Again, you can argue that it shouldn't have been, but that doesn't change the fact that it was.

[quote name='Jean AS' post='1394016' date='Jun 11 2008, 17.50']How come even a Portugal supporter can't spell "Gomes"?[/quote]

Thank you. Thank you. With all my heart thank you for that.

Cristiano Ronaldo is becoming scarily good at after match press interviews. He had a better grasp of the maths of qualification than me (I know his job, but still, I am usually better at that), and all his replies and arguments and talk of team work ( "I was very glad to help the team score the second goal" :leer:), are just right in tone, I like very much the focus on team work, it´s the real important thing. Our qualification was not impressive, much harder than it had to be, and we qualified on good work and occasional genius to save us - with problems, we had injuries and Scolari was testing all the young kids. But now the real thing started I am very impressed by the group and team work, real time to train as a team makes a lot of difference. Goalkeeping, ouch, I don´t want to think about it right now.

Hey Loras, you guys got to see you-know-who wearing white after all :P The british tabloid The Sun has had one more for tabloidism school, they are showing old photos of him with Real Madrid´s physical trainer in Rome as proof of whatever they want to call it. . The Sun apparently neglected to mention that guy is Italian and used to work at Manchester United for quite a while, being good friends with Cristiano Ronaldo. Plus somehow not sure clubs use their fitness coaches to make deals and offers.

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1394205' date='Jun 11 2008, 19.29']Why wasn't that Portugese guy offside for the third goal? The one who scored it.

Does this have something to do with "second phase" or whatever?[/quote]
When do you think he was ahead of the Czech players? If he was offside when Ronaldo got the ball then yes "second phase".

[quote]But in the bit of my post that you cut from your quote, you will have seen that I wasn't talking about a mistake here though, I was talking about laziness. There's a big difference[/quote]
Ok. Maybe what I said came across badly. I'm not sure it was laziness basicly. Greece were defending for much of the game. There was an (inevitable) slight loss of concentration where they didn't react well to Larsson and Ibrahimovic and suddenly it was a goal. I thought Sweden worked it well, they probed until Greece made an error. You could blame Greece but IMO it was more Sweden's nice invention. I've seen a lot worse defending. Instead it was "slight mistake" and then goal...

Maybe it even was laziness but the Greek players are very rarely lazy. Analysts always have to blame the defenders for every goal sometimes.

Archived