FOOTBALL!

Mathis

Ibrahimovic did hit a cracking strike to get that goal

But as the ITV analysts pointed out afterwards, there's no way the Greek defence ever should have given him the space and time to take the pull from the throw-in, turn and make the give-and-go pass which set up the shot.

If the Greek defender hadn't been so lazy, he would have pressed up on I'vic, forcing him just to give the pass back to the guy who threw in. Instead, he lost concentration, dropped off and I'vic got all the space he needed to make the play.

But, to be fair, it was a [i]cracking[/i] shot

Yes, as Pod said... the pitch was quite fast due to the rain, and the first half was played at a generous rythm, to say the least... Most of the players were quite spent by the 70th minute.

Which brings me to something that worries me: shape. Our players are not forces of nature like Essien (except perhaps Ramos, who had a bad match yesterday... surprising...), so I'm beggining to fear they'll arrive with almost no gasoline left to when it matters. i.e: the quarters against France/Italy/Holland.

And another thing... euphoria has showed its ugly head yet again. :/ The whole country and the international press have gone ballistic and bla bla bla. Fine, we had a good game and an even better result... but there were things that still need polishing (and seriously so), and it was only Russia (with all due respect). This whole situation reminds me of last WC, in which we destroyes Ukraine and our group rivals scoring 10 goals and allowing 2 in 3 matches, and then voila... France sent us packing back home.

I've seen this film so many times before. Bad karma. :(

[quote name='Podezine Podane']And wow, didn't notice that the Austrians and Swiss were ageing also.[/quote]

Huh? I'm too lazy to do the math on the Austrian team, but as the article mentioned the Swiss are way below the average age of the tournament.

[quote name='Podezine Podane']Today I predict Portugal 2 Czech 0 and Switzerland 1 Turkey 0. Portugal have been a little forgotten after some of the other games but they did have a useful start and their defence looks stronger than the Dutch or the Spanish teams. We'll know more today.[/quote]

I agree with the first but Turkey will salvage a draw against the Swiss.

[quote name='Loras']And another thing... euphoria has showed its ugly head yet again.[/quote]

I know it's not nice to laugh about this, but only in Spain can a very good showing of the national side be seen as a sure sign of future defeat. :lol:

[size=1]

Maybe this will be your year?[/size] ;)

I was unsurprised by yesterday's results. Spain have a very good side with attractive players and there is no doubt that Russia is one of the weak brothers on this tournament. They were trounced by a side that was simply far too good for them. I think that if a team can bench Fabregas you know they've got quality and the Torres-Villa couple could be the best pairing upfront this tournament.

Greece vs Sweden.

Greece was awful. Our commentators were merciless in their appraisal as well. Total non-football from Greece. Now, they did this as well 4 years ago and it made them champions. But when you play like this but don't even get results, well, won't be long till the team goes home with the tails between their legs and the coach gets sacked. Awful display. I'm happy Sweden won, as they're a team I fancy. No way that Spain and Sweden will not be the two teams to advance here.

As for today, I see myself skipping Switzerland-Turkey and watch the Portugal-Czech match.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1393508' date='Jun 11 2008, 09.56']and there is no doubt that Russia is one of the weak brothers on this tournament. They were trounced by a side that was simply far too good for them.[/quote]
heh,
In the BBC commentary, at one point, when it was 3-0 and Spain were continually tearing Russia apart, the commenator wonders to his co-commentator, "hmmm, where does this performance put England?", "yeah, you have to wonder about this being the same side that defeated England in Moscow".

It sort of seems like they still can't realise how poor they were in qualifying compared to the best teams.

For those of you debating the relative average age of the different teams, [url="http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/players/index.html"]this[/url] is a good overview. Austria and Switzerland have the two youngest teams in the tournament. Also, the overall mix of players seems quite healthy. 30% under 25, 30% over 29, and 40% in between. Lots of old goalkeepers and young midfielders.

[quote name='Mathis' post='1391256' date='Jun 10 2008, 03.35']I don't speak any languages but English so I don't know the standard of commentary in other countries but surely it can't be worse than the UK. Is there a more inept analyst than David Pleat? Is there a more irritating commentator that Clive Tyldesly or John Motson or Mark Lawrenson? If only Martin Tyler and Andy Gray could be there. Seriously, if David Pleat calls Camoranesi 'Caramonesi' one more time...[/quote]

You don't know how good you've got it. I've moved from Norway to England, and it is such a relief. Sure, you have the odd bad apple and commentators who make bad calls once in a while, but at least you've mostly got people who know what the fuck they are talking about. In Norway, you have to suffer commentators defending the ref giving the wrong Nigerian a yellow card by saying "Well, they all look alike, don't they?", and commentators having decided beforehand who will be the player of the match, disregarding any actual events that would negate that decision. And Caramonesi may be bad, but so is fucking Diel Piero. Where does the impulse to add an extra i come from?

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1392780' date='Jun 10 2008, 22.52']Anyone else tink that Lucas Podolski looks like Jason Bourne?[/quote]

No.

Quick thoughts on the tournament so far from my hotel room in Madrid (btw, Loras (and other spaniards): Would you happen to know who Marc Parrot is?):

Most impressive teams have been Germany and Spain. Both their defenses have some weaknesses, but in midfield and attack? Simply outstanding. I was particularly impressed with Frings in the Germany - Poland game (even though he seems like a twat to his team members), and the striking partnership of Villa & Torres could be deadly, unless someone finds a way to neutralize both of them. They seem to have excellent chemistry as well. Villa ran straight for the then substituted Torres on the bench when he scored his third. Similarly, Podolski & Klose (and Gomez!) look to be on fire, very clever, hard working and lethal.

I also don't think one should underestimate Spain's result against Russia. Any team that Hiddink coaches is going to take some beating.

Switzerland and Austria were both a bit unlucky for me, and played better than I thought they would. They also have "home ice advantage", and could cause upsets, against Portugal and Poland respectively (I don't see Austria beating Germany).

I think the Dutch team took advantage of an aging and nonchalant Italy, making themselves look better and Italy worse than either really are. I expect Italy to bounce back and Holland to run into tougher opposition.

Portugal beat what I consider to be the weakest team (alongside Greece) in the finals. They need to prove their mettle against Czech today if they want to be taken seriously as contenders.

Lots of hard-to-call games this round. Italy and Spain should win, and Germany, although Croatia are a very dangerous team to discount. I'm hoping Russia pull it together and rout Greece (especially since I now have two Russian defenders in my fantasy football team).

[quote]For those of you debating the relative average age of the different teams, [url="http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/players/index.html"][color="#b42600"]this[/color][/url] is a good overview. Austria and Switzerland have the two youngest teams in the tournament. Also, the overall mix of players seems quite healthy. 30% under 25, 30% over 29, and 40% in between. Lots of old goalkeepers and young midfielders.[/quote]
Apologies. I read the earlier quote incorrectly. That's the problem when French is your mother tongue. :P

[quote]Villa ran straight for the then substituted Torres on the bench when he scored his third.[/quote]
I noticed that. Its a good sign of the positive spirit in the camp. I don't underestimate Spain's performance but the big difference between the 2 teams is that Spain have those 2 strikers. (Their midfield is better also but the difference is smaller). There was little between the 2 teams until Russia
went behind. And even later on, Russia had plenty chances. I wouldn't rule out Russia or even Greece though. They play each other next and a win will put them back in contention. Sweden weren't tested by Greece at all, yet Sweden still made some silly errors in defence. Can't do that. Spain should have no problems qualifying though.

I think we have seen the best of Austria. They gave their all in their 1st game but still lost. Going to be hard to repeat that given their fundamental lack of class. I think Portugal made Turkey look worse than they are though. Turkey does have some good players but Portugal have a solid defence and didn't give that Nihat guy a chance. At the same time, Switzerland does have home advantage, so probably squeeze a win.

[quote name='Paddiano Ronaldo' post='1393564' date='Jun 11 2008, 11.49']It sort of seems like they still can't realise how poor they were in qualifying compared to the best teams.[/quote]
I think the display of Croatia is even worse. At least England were unlucky to lose to Russia, Croatia outplayed them. But Croatia were woeful in their first game.

[quote]Our players are not forces of nature like Essien (except perhaps Ramos, who had a bad match yesterday... surprising...), so I'm beggining to fear they'll arrive with almost no gasoline left to when it matters. i.e: the quarters against France/Italy/Holland[/quote]
I think that's a valid worry. They seemed to race around all over the place yesterday. A victory against Sweden should give them a chance to rest some players for the last game hopefully. And there is a feeling of deja vu regarding Spain but this team is a better one compared to WC2006 and even more importantly, more experienced. So interesting times. :)

[quote]But as the ITV analysts pointed out afterwards, there's no way the Greek defence ever should have given him the space and time to take the pull from the throw-in, turn and make the give-and-go pass which set up the shot.[/quote]
Every goal can be shrugged off as "bad defence" and never "good attack". That annoys me sometimes. Greece couldn't defend throughout the game without making a mistake.

Speaking of squad composition...

I was watching the game last night and discussing with my son how many of the players at Euro 2008 are, in fact, naturalised former South Americans or otherwise non-European by birth. It has to be quite a few. Just off the top of my head, there's Deco, Senna, Pepe, Camoranesi, Aurelio... and that's not even counting the 'colonials' in the French squad. And how many teams of the 16 have non-native managers?

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1393627' date='Jun 11 2008, 13.06']Every goal can be shrugged off as "bad defence" and never "good attack". That annoys me sometimes. Greece couldn't defend throughout the game without making a mistake.[/quote]

For sure most goals do require a defender to make a mistake (or be forced into a mistake). That's a truism of pretty much every sport.

But in the bit of my post that you cut from your quote, you will have seen that I wasn't talking about a mistake here though, I was talking about laziness. There's a big difference

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1393654' date='Jun 11 2008, 14.40']Speaking of squad composition...

I was watching the game last night and discussing with my son how many of the players at Euro 2008 are, in fact, naturalised former South Americans or otherwise non-European by birth. It has to be quite a few. Just off the top of my head, there's Deco, Senna, Pepe, Camoranesi, Aurelio... and that's not even counting the 'colonials' in the French squad.[/quote]

There is also that Brazilian guy that plays for Poland, Roger. And I guess Kevin Kurányi as he was born in Rio (and could have played for Brazil, Hungary and Panama as well ;)). Really not all that many, I think. And France's squads having a strong "colonial" element is nothing new.

[quote]And how many teams of the 16 have non-native managers?[/quote]

Four, I believe.

I don't think Holland's victory over Italy should be downplayed, though. The Dutch really DID do a fantastic job in the game, and I think they did a good job of breaking down the Italians, who gave a pretty good account of themselves in the second half. Granted, Nistelrooy's strike was offside, but the second and third goals were brilliant counterattacks.

As a France fan, I'd hoped they would win this one, especially the '06 heartbreak, but after seeing them against Romania, well... I don't think they deserve to go through. I, too, am hoping that Guus Hiddink's men pull it together and make it to the knockout rounds.

Here's to hoping the Czech beat Portugal.

[quote name='Jorgen2720' post='1393678' date='Jun 11 2008, 14.03']Granted, Nistelrooy's strike was offside...[/quote]

Tut.

[quote name='Jorgen2720' post='1393678' date='Jun 11 2008, 14.03']Here's to hoping the Czech beat Portugal.[/quote]

Amen.

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1393934' date='Jun 11 2008, 16.49']It was offside :)[/quote]

You can claim that it [i]should[/i] have been offside, and indeed insist upon that, if you like. You can even argue that the rule that says the referee was correct was interpreted wrongly or should not exist. (I think you'd be wrong, but you can do it.)

But you can't say it [i]was[/i] offside, because the goal stood: therefore, as a matter of simple fact, it [i]wasn't [/i]offside. As with a foul, it's only offside if the ref gives it. ;)

Here is a good reason why Austria are sure to give it their all in their next match. Local brewery Ottakringer Brauerei have promised a life long supply of bear to the first Austrian player to score a goal in the tournament. Awesome idea :D

[url="http://politiken.dk/fodbold/em2008/em2008gruppeb/em2008oestrig/article522468.ece"]Here[/url] is the artikel where I read this, but it is in Danish though.

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1393958' date='Jun 11 2008, 16.59']You can claim that it [i]should[/i] have been offside, and indeed insist upon that, if you like. You can even argue that the rule that says the referee was correct was interpreted wrongly or should not exist. (I think you'd be wrong, but you can do it.)

But you can't say it [i]was[/i] offside, because the goal stood: therefore, as a matter of simple fact, it [i]wasn't [/i]offside. As with a foul, it's only offside if the ref gives it. ;)[/quote]

Bah. Yes I can say it was offside because um its was. "its only offside if the ref gives it" is a stupid statement. Thats like saying that if someone punches a player but the ref dosen't see it/give it the punch wasn't a foul/card.

Archived