FOOTBALL!

Mathis

[quote name='Togbui Toolblondjro III' post='1392652' date='Jun 10 2008, 23.09'][size=5]AT LAST[/size][/quote]

:(

Nice goal though. Let's see if we're going to try and play some real football now.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1392661' date='Jun 10 2008, 21.12']:(

Nice goal though. Let's see if we're going to try and play some real football now.[/quote]
ANY side would have done. I'm not fussy.

Amen on the yellow comment.

UhOh.

[quote name='Togbui Toolblondjro III' post='1392674' date='Jun 10 2008, 23.15']UhOh.[/quote]

I spoke too soon. What a ridiculous second goal. Let's see if it gets any worse.

SVERIGE! SVERIGE!

That second goal was true mess, but the hell with it -- we'll take what we can get. The sad thing is that that Greek defender, by reflexively kicking, bounced it back at Hansson who basically just stumbled it into the goal.

But the goal from Ibrahimovic was very nicely played. The Larsson-Ibrahimovic combination is pretty dangerous.

OTOH, it's possible we've lost Wilhelmsson for the tournament. :( We'll see how it goes.

2-0 for Sweden. The first half looked like we were schedlued for repetition of Greek miracle of four years ago. Fortunately, it proved not to be so. Wonderful goal by Ibrahimovic. Once again we saw that one great player can indeed decide the match.

I suppose this group is virtually decided. I rather doubt anything may stop Spain and Sweden from qualifying.

[quote]I suppose this group is virtually decided. I rather doubt anything may stop Spain and Sweden from qualifying.[/quote]

Sweden? Spain won't have much trouble qualifying from this group but between Sweden and Russia, I put my money on Russia.

The less we see of the Greeks the better IMHO.

Wow. It really was a great goal by Ibrahimovic. Some of these shots can be shoot and hope but the Swedes worked hard for that one and it was brilliantly taken. There has been some nice goals in the tournament up to now. Sneijder's was also notable. And some of Villa's were very well taken.

I thought when Sweden missed that lob they were never going to score. :)

One thing struck me though. I wonder has this tournament the oldest teams ever. I was a bit taken aback by the French but the Italians took that a couple of steps further, while the Swedes were even older! Some very good players but I wonder will they suffer eventually because of their age. I imagine they are ideal opponents for the Spaniards, who could take advantage of their lack of freshness. I thought the Spanish might waltz through this group and they seem to be well on track.

Greece have a chance still though. I think Russia have a good record against the Greeks but the Russians are beatable. And if Greece win then Greece could be playing the already qualified Spaniards for qualification. At the same time, I think Russia should be favourites to beat Greece. They need a very committed performance though. But if they win that, then they can squeeze past the Swedes. But the Swedes will be difficult to beat.

[quote name='Loras Bernadotte-LÃ¥ngstrum' post='1392327' date='Jun 10 2008, 18.59']Crap, I say something half insightful and Spain surprise me by playing counter attack... ;)[/quote]

Congratulations dear. Double I guess, mr ahem sweden. I didn´t see either game (an, this week, national holiday AND city holiday on strategical days. I love the month of June).

[quote name='Loras Bernadotte-LÃ¥ngstrum' post='1392327' date='Jun 10 2008, 18.59']I think the game was over at 3-0. Not because of the result, but because the players were exhausted... Those last 2 goals were caused by the player's exhaustion. Villa and Silva couldn't barely move, and the Russians were even more spent.[/quote]

Hmm, was it specially hot? The russian football season is different from ours, maybe they are not fit yet? was the game specially fast, or just basic fitness?

BTW regarding tiki-taka and playing possession, well, my objection is philosophical and about two things. One is that it is not necessarily beautiful on itself IMO, so that can not be an excuse for it. The second is that possession is sterile without verticality. It´s useless to have the ball and pass it along without putting it in goal. As I said, philosophical. It just does not seem that bright an idea to me, but I suppose we will see best.

Pod, 3 central defenders? oh yikes. To be totally honest portuguese press is speculating that Scolari will field Fernando Meira instead of Petit tomorrow. we are currently paranoid over the height of the czechs, and that Fernando Meira, while still a bit shorter than Koller, is pretty tall himself, and can play defensive midfielder very nicely and got plenty of experience in Germany, Scolari says petit will start but Meira is a good option for a sub.

Pod regarding ages, check the official tournament stats release

[url="http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/newsid=702968.html"]http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/newsid=702968.html[/url]

"With the 16 squad lists now in, it is possible to compare and contrast the information relating to all 368 players, and Roberto Donadoni's men will vie for glory in Austria and Switzerland with an average age of 29.57. Sweden are not far behind them at 29.35, but both are more than three years older on average than Guus Hiddink's Russia, who boast a comparatively sprightly figure of 26.26. Meanwhile, Jakob Kuhn's credentials as a firm believer in fielding young talent are proved by his Switzerland squad's average age of 26.39, more than a year below the competition mean of 27.60."

well, the age of actual lineups would be more interesting ;) Italy is indeed old.

viva espana! they really really impressed. it was an exciting squad that kept attacking, attacking and attacking. they hardly looked the squad that had such a rough time with the americans in their friendly the previous week. david villa looked strong and his pace is awesome. i would have liked torres to get a couple more touches, but hey.

it has been so long since the last euro. was greek football that boring then? god christ. they simply were not entetaining at all. i was not sure if they had a thought of attacking the swedes. ibrahimovic scoring was very nice. a forward who is so lethal in club should get to score a goal for his nation once every two and a half years.

T, it was actually raining for much of the Spanish game. But they did put a lot into the game. I was thinking they could be exhausted for the next one but the benign weather should make it easier to recover.

And wow, didn't notice that the Austrians and Swiss were ageing also. Although, I suppose if you are worried about how good your team is, a manager is apt to go for experience.

Today I predict Portugal 2 Czech 0 and Switzerland 1 Turkey 0. Portugal have been a little forgotten after some of the other games but they did have a useful start and their defence looks stronger than the Dutch or the Spanish teams. We'll know more today.

Archived