EURO 2008

Hereward

Regarding suits, I think locally it was sort of an innovation brought on by Bobby Robson. Bobby Robson, he had this very particular mystique and aura. Before that, can´t remember for sure but I think a lot of moustaches were involved. In fact, it still seems like the one requirement for being manager of Portugal ( besides speaking futebolês fluently ;) ) is a moustache. Sort of true you know. I don´t think suit better than track suit, it´s a football pitch, plus track suit matching the team colors can be sort of nicely tribal - I just got pushed images of Billic, Low and van basten and my brain can not stop making some conclusions.

I am pessimistic about the game with Germany to be honest. Our track record is not too bad, particularly at euros, but
- pitch is awful. Might rain. Might be stereotype, but that has got to affect us more than Germany.
- In local opinion Simão and Cristiano Ronaldo are not midfielders. Meaning a midfield of Petit-João Moutinho and Deco. They are different levels of good, but not 5 people.
- Bad luck and a certain feeling of being the unfavoured stepchild - we are pretty much winning on the balls to the bar and the game against Switzerland left a sour feeling of "we wuz robbed" on purpose.
- Not sure how the whole transfer speculations, and agent allowed in the hotel, and Deco´s visit to Barcelona will work out.

plus losing would just fit with the social-political-economical-meteorological malaise going on. On the good side, oh well, worth a try. Who will play left defender btw, who did against Austria?

[quote name='cteresa' post='1401855' date='Jun 17 2008, 12.09']- Bad luck and a certain feeling of being the unfavoured stepchild - we are pretty much winning on the balls to the bar and the game against Switzerland left a sour feeling of "we wuz robbed" on purpose.[/quote]

:rolleyes (dramatically):

[quote]- pitch is awful. Might rain. Might be stereotype, but that has got to affect us more than Germany.
- In local opinion Simão and Cristiano Ronaldo are not midfielders. Meaning a midfield of Petit-João Moutinho and Deco. They are different levels of good, but not 5 people.
- Bad luck and a certain feeling of being the unfavoured stepchild - we are pretty much winning on the balls to the bar and the game against Switzerland left a sour feeling of "we wuz robbed" on purpose.
- Not sure how the whole transfer speculations, and agent allowed in the hotel, and Deco´s visit to Barcelona will work out.[/quote]
Its certainly a hard game to call. Germany weren't particularly convincing last night but if Gomez had scored in the first couple of minutes, then they would probably have won by 3 or 4. The good thing for Portugal is that Croatia did outplay Germany in midfield and if they repeat that, then they probably will win. Modric is hardly bigger than Deco and he had a very good game. I don't think the Swiss result will negatively affect Portugal though. If anything it should make Portugal more determined. And its rare for a team to get such bad luck 2 games in a row. The transfer speculation OTOH may have a negative effect.

But yes, I do hope the pitch holds up.

Yesterday's game wasn't particularly exciting anyhow. Austria did have some opportunities before Germany scored but they weren't skillful enough to capitalise. Afterwards, they merely relied on crosses, which the German defence could cope with all day.

As for today, well the games should certainly be interesting. :)

[quote name='Kijko Rijkaard']:rolleyes (dramatically):[/quote]

You just wait, when the Netherlands get unceremoniously dumped out of the tournament by their very own Hiddink and his Russian proteges after hitting the woodwork about 30 times and being denied a clear penalty, you'll be complaining too.:P

[quote name='Jean AS' post='1401938' date='Jun 17 2008, 13.50']You just wait, when the Netherlands get unceremoniously dumped out of the tournament by their very own Hiddink and his Russian proteges after hitting the woodwork about 30 times and being denied a clear penalty, you'll be complaining too.:P[/quote]

no hard feelings just because we kicked you out, okay?

[quote name='Jean AS' post='1401961' date='Jun 17 2008, 14.03']So you admit that you're going to ensure our elimination by losing to the Romanians tonight? Shame on you, Ser.[/quote]

Are you telling me you plan to score against Iitaly? That's...unexpected

So, in order to progress Greece need to beat Spain, while Sweden and Russia go to war as a result of a set of circumstances for which both are judged equally to blame and are thrown out by UEFA.

Go Greece!

[quote name='cteresa' post='1401855' date='Jun 17 2008, 11.09']Who will play left defender btw, who did against Austria?[/quote]

Lahm played left back i think. It's bad luck for you guys Jansen got a knock before the austria game cos he wasn't much good. Friedrich looked good enough to keep his place.

I still think Portugal will walk all over Germany though.

[quote name='Kijko Rijkaard' post='1401981' date='Jun 17 2008, 13.18']Are you telling me you plan to score against Iitaly? That's...unexpected[/quote]

:lol: Nice.

[quote name='Herekleides' post='1402035' date='Jun 17 2008, 13.52']So, in order to progress Greece need to beat Spain, while Sweden and Russia go to war as a result of a set of circumstances for which both are judged equally to blame and are thrown out by UEFA.[/quote]

Sweden and Russia get thrown out but you still need to beat Spain? Hardly fair.

So... looks like four or five [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7363393.stm"]changes[/url] for the Netherlands team tonight. More or less what I expected... but enough for a Romanian win?

[quote name='Voyevoda Jan' post='1402053' date='Jun 17 2008, 14.04']Sweden and Russia get thrown out but you still need to beat Spain? Hardly fair.[/quote]

Hmmm, you may have a point here. :unsure:

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1402225' date='Jun 17 2008, 16.47']So... looks like four or five [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7363393.stm"]changes[/url] for the Netherlands team tonight. More or less what I expected... but enough for a Romanian win?[/quote]

Please!... not because I hope Spain gets them over the other two; but because I've placed a bet on those boys... :unsure:

I need them to win and both Italy and France to tie in order to cash in said bet.

Lahm, hein? Lahm is very very good. But he is right footed right? right footed playing on the left can be a disadvantage in transition from defense to attack, isn´t that supposed to be? I think it is a problem with Portugal, Paulo Ferreira covers the position as best he can, but he is right footed and he can not attack the way he could on the right, we got no real options for the left ( I am not thinking of Jorge Ribeiro, ok?) - Miguel Veloso might do in an emergency, and there is a very young kid at Roma who might be good enough one day.

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1401921' date='Jun 17 2008, 12.37']Modric is hardly bigger than Deco and he had a very good game.[/quote]

oh, Deco is bigger than Modric surely. Deco is the tall guy in Barcelona´s midfield :P. Ok, you made me go check and Deco is 1.74 tall, quite respectable (and apparently a smidgeon above average for brazillians or portuguese ;) wikipedia makes trivia so easy). João Moutinho and Simão are the ones which are truly short (1.70-1.71), while Modric manages to be even smaller ( 1.69, that height is getting rarer and rarer, except maybe for argentinians and/or barcelona midfielders). And Deco can take care of himself, all the best in the world have spent their time trying to shove him out of games. But for battling for "airspace" in midfield, and if it rains and they are *northern*.

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1401921' date='Jun 17 2008, 12.37']I don't think the Swiss result will negatively affect Portugal though. If anything it should make Portugal more determined. And its rare for a team to get such bad luck 2 games in a row. The transfer speculation OTOH may have a negative effect.[/quote]

We had balls to the bar on ALL three matches. Stats are saying 5 shots on woodwork, next teams are Croatia with 2 ( and same amount of games), a set of 6 teams with 1 each. Call me paranoid, but... geesh.

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1401921' date='Jun 17 2008, 12.37']But yes, I do hope the pitch holds up.[/quote]

It´s the stupidest schedule ever. First host nations got an advantage at always playing in the same stadium ( specially if they qualified first of their group) but the total separation of groups AB and CD till the final, the having all the quarters, semis and final in just two stadiums, it´s the stupidest thing. I wonder how pitches will handle it, specially if weather is bad. The stadium at Basel was used sunday, will be used thursday, will be used saturday for another quarter final and will be used mid next week for a semifinal. Vienna, even worse because there will be one extra final. :bang:

PS - only 4 or 5 changes to the Holland team? ok, they are not putting up any of the more famously fragile ones, but still it would give them more time to recover till the next match with maybe a few more changes.

[quote name='cteresa']Lahm, hein? Lahm is very very good. But he is right footed right? right footed playing on the left can be a disadvantage in transition from defense to attack, isn´t that supposed to be?[/quote]

It can be, but on the other hand it can also be an advantage because he can just turn inside and shoot himself, he is pretty good at that.

ETA: Frings has a broken rib. Crap. I mean: merde!

Sorry to hear about Frings, very seriously, I hate injuries and being remembered how fragile bodies actually are.

About Lahm, got it, thanks for the explanation. oh well we will see. And you guys got 3 stars on your jerseys, your responsibility is bigger ;)

Today´s press conference was with Cristiano Ronaldo and Petit and it was sort of encouraging because it had a good vibe (basically they argued over who let who win a game of pingpong, and if Cristiano should get candy as consolation for being on the losing team on yesterday´s training). No word on any transfers, but apparently Scolari is getting teased very much by CR for being the "opposition" now, so he probably does not feel that disconnected from Manchester United.

Looks like Holland has changed the team in 9 places, but with van Persie and Robben in there. Heitinga and de Zeeuw are in, which is interesting, because both were definites throughout the whole of the qualification round, but didn't get to play in the tournament so far.

BBC are claiming that Thuram and Sagnol [i]withdrew[/i] because they 'weren't mentally ready' for the game.

If so, this is extraordinary. Not that it's true, but that it's actually being admitted. For two very experienced players to come out and say that?

Archived