Chicagoland Peeps - READ THIS

Hi all, I didn't want to start a new post for this as its only of interest to people in the Chicagoland area so I hope you don't mind me bumping up this old post.

Anyway since we all like books I just wanted to tell people that the Newberry Library is having their annual book fair this weekend. Thousands upon thousands of used books for really cheap. I'm new to fantasy / science fiction reading so I can't say I've ever browsed in that section of the fair before but if their mystery and fiction sections are anything to go by, there should be a large selection to browse. I'm looking forward to tracking down some of the books I've seen recommended on this board.

Information here:

http://www.newberry.org/giving/events/Bookfair.html

I generally go on Saturdays and I've never found a shortage of books so don't worry if you can't make it there until the weekend.

Hi all, I didn't want to start a new post for this as its only of interest to people in the Chicagoland area so I hope you don't mind me bumping up this old post.

Anyway since we all like books I just wanted to tell people that the Newberry Library is having their annual book fair this weekend. Thousands upon thousands of used books for really cheap. I'm new to fantasy / science fiction reading so I can't say I've ever browsed in that section of the fair before but if their mystery and fiction sections are anything to go by, there should be a large selection to browse. I'm looking forward to tracking down some of the books I've seen recommended on this board.

Information here:

http://www.newberry.org/giving/events/Bookfair.html

I generally go on Saturdays and I've never found a shortage of books so don't worry if you can't make it there until the weekend.

Hey, cool. I'd never heard of that book fair before. Doesn't look like I'll be able to go this year as I'm busy through next week. At least it's something to plan for next year. Thanks for the heads up! :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION CHICAGOLAND AREA BWB MEMBERS

At Ran's request, I contacted an HBO rep who emailed him to ask about Chicago area fans of Game of Thrones. Here's what she had to say back:

I'm sure you've heard that HBO has a new series called Game of Thrones, based on GRRM's books coming out in April. I am in very preliminary stages of planning a screening event in the Chicago area. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions?

1)How many fans do you have in the Chicago area?

2)Do you think Brothers without Banners of Chicago would be interested in attending the screening event?

3)Are you the point person who would be able to contact your members in Chicago?

4)Is there a point person that handles the group nationwide? (we may have multiple events in different locations)

So, after talking with Ran and Xray, I've been made the Chicago contact for this event for now. I told the rep that I would have some concrete numbers for her by the end of the week or so.

Please PM me or reply on this thread if you're interested in attending! Hopefully, we'll be able to generate some good numbers.

Personally, I'm excited as hell and think this would be a really fun event to go to, right up the BwB's alley!

ZOMGGG!!!

Yes, Yes, Yes. Thanks Lady N. for pointing this out to me!

eta: I really need to check other parts of th board besides Misc. and Entertainment. We have a bunch of old timers from Illinois and Wisconsin. Some of them might be like me and rarely check the BwB section.

eta: I really need to check other parts of th board besides Misc. and Entertainment. We have a bunch of old timers from Illinois and Wisconsin. Some of them might be like me and rarely check the BwB section.

I'm PMing the few people I know who are in the Chicagoland area as I know not everyone checks this forum.

Also if we can get the topic description changed to reflect this event that might help draw notice too.

Good idea, lady narcissa. I would definitely encourage PMing or e-mailing Chicago-area folks that you know of who may not be dropping by this particular thread, and directing them here. :)

Damn. I can't do it this week due to work commitments.

No worries Harlot, the event is not this week. I edited my post for clarity. I'm just trying to get her some idea of a head count by this week, if possible. I think the screening is still a bit down the road.

So far I've told her that yes, there are numerous fans in Chicago, and yes, there is a definite interest. I also asked her what kind of numbers she had in mind.

If I hear back from her, hopefully tomorrow, I'll let everyone know what to expect.

Question to maybe ask them - would they be interested in non-board member people who are fans of the books? I have a few friends that I've got hooked on the books and I'd be happy to invite them too, if there are seats available (not sure how large of a group they are seeking and when).

Question to maybe ask them - would they be interested in non-board member people who are fans of the books? I have a few friends that I've got hooked on the books and I'd be happy to invite them too, if there are seats available (not sure how large of a group they are seeking and when).

Exactly. I spoke a bit about this with Ran. If the rep tells me that HBO wants to gather as many people as possible for the screening, then I would think non-board member fans are totally fair game. If she only wants say 20-30 people, then we'll keep it small.

As soon as I learn more, I will post. Also, she spoke about other screenings in different parts of the country, so I'll be asking her about that.

Archived