NFL 2008 - Week One

Space Bandito

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1510256' date='Sep 8 2008, 18.54']Really not trying to start another argument here, but BB isn't exactly known as one for frankness with the media or the public. I do agree that it is unlikely anyone could start with less than a month in the system, but I would think they'd want a 3rd QB of some sort - even if it was just someone cut in camp.

I don't think there is a QB on the roster right now who could win for them come playoff time. And I'd think they'd want to get started teaching someone the ropes as much as possible. Whether Daunte, Rattay, Simms or someone else.[/quote]
I agree with you Bronn, that reasoning doesn't sound that legitimate so I think it is BB keeping his cards close to his chest. Maybe it means someone else that wasn't reported on is coming in or they just decided they really weren't that impressed with film on Simms or Rattay (I'm not).

Personally,

I WANT DOUG FLUTIE!

About Brady.

He's good, sure. But I'm not so sure the Pats will struggle without him. Maybe they won't go 16-0 and set all-time offensive records, but I think they'll win 12 games and the division easily.

1.) More than any team, NE excels at having interchangeable parts. Cassell hasn't started in 8 years or whatever but their track record of talent evaluation they have indicates he might not be terrible.

2). Luxury of Moss. Having a player who can run down the field and catch nearly anything is a luxury. Moss made culpepper an All-Pro, and he may have been the worst decision maker in the history of his position.

3). Stout defense. Cassell won't have to win a lot of shoot-outs. Like Big Ben a few years back, he'll just have to manage games.

4). Good running game. Maroney and Morris are a great tandem, and a nice crutch for an inexperienced QB to lean on.

ETA: Full-disclosure, I hate the Patriots. I'm not suffering from boundless optimism or anything, I just think it's not exactly doomsday for a talented team.

Rodgers and the WR are playing well.

The Packers offensive line, on the other hand....how many penalties is that now? At least 5 or 6, maybe more. Ineligible man down field just cost them a long TD. If they lose this game, its probably going to be due to their sloppy play.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1510345' date='Sep 8 2008, 17.34']I'm totally on board with this in principle. But they'd still be trying their asses off to score, right?[/quote]

Quite possible, yes.....

Although I'd say that most teams would not attempt to do some of the stuff they did even with the backups in the game.

On a game note regarding backups, Leftwich looked horrible yesterday. It seems only a matter of time before dixon makes the leap.

Also, I seem to recall some obscure rule about third string QB's not being able to enter the game at any position but QB (or something similar), but it's possible I'm completely making it up.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

[quote name='Whiskeyjack' post='1510384' date='Sep 8 2008, 21.01']Rodgers and the WR are playing well.

The Packers offensive line, on the other hand....how many penalties is that now? At least 5 or 6, maybe more. Ineligible man down field just cost them a long TD. If they lose this game, its probably going to be due to their sloppy play.[/quote]

That penalty could potentially cost me my fantasy game in my money league this week. I'm not happy.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1510388' date='Sep 8 2008, 20.05']Quite possible, yes.....

Although I'd say that most teams would not attempt to do some of the stuff they did even with the backups in the game.

On a game note regarding backups, Leftwich looked horrible yesterday. It seems only a matter of time before dixon makes the leap.

Also, I seem to recall some obscure rule about third string QB's not being able to enter the game at any position but QB (or something similar), but it's possible I'm completely making it up.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?[/quote]

i believe if the 3rd qb enters the game, the other 2 QB's cannot re-enter the game until the 4th quarter of the game.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1510407' date='Sep 8 2008, 18.21']i believe if the 3rd qb enters the game, the other 2 QB's cannot re-enter the game until the 4th quarter of the game.[/quote]
Unless it's Thursday or there's a full moon.

Where do they come up with this stuff?

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1510409' date='Sep 8 2008, 20.24']Unless it's Thursday or there's a full moon.

Where do they come up with this stuff?[/quote]

well, i [i]believe [/i]this is in the case of the 3rd QB being the emergency QB, i.e. the 46th man on the 45 man game roster. Of course, they could have 3 active QB's on the 45 man roster, but I don't think teams do that with how thin they get at so many positions. some teams actually have a WR act as the emergency QB since there are few who were college QB's (Antwann Randall El, Patrick Crayton)

I must say, I spent all day yesterday and a lot of Saturday watching football in HD. I've never watched that much HD television before and now, watching this game in regular picture quality... I don't know how I was so comfortable watching it before.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1510415' date='Sep 8 2008, 18.30']well, i [i]believe [/i]this is in the case of the 3rd QB being the emergency QB, i.e. the 46th man on the 45 man game roster. Of course, they could have 3 active QB's on the 45 man roster, but I don't think teams do that with how thin they get at so many positions. some teams actually have a WR act as the emergency QB since there are few who were college QB's (Antwann Randall El, Patrick Crayton)[/quote]
Sounds plausible. Thanks!

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1510417' date='Sep 8 2008, 18.31']I must say, I spent all day yesterday and a lot of Saturday watching football in HD. I've never watched that much HD television before and now, watching this game in regular picture quality... I don't know how I was so comfortable watching it before.[/quote]
This is exactly why I don't have a HD TV yet, I wanted to wait until it was everywhere. But my PS3 is threatening to kill my old tube, so I may have to catch up sooner.

"NOTHING GOOD CAN HAPPEN HERE BIGBIE" are you fucking kidding me Tirico you creepy boarderline rapist douchbag. Honestly, of all the hacks doing national sports these days, Tirico is by far my most hated. Dumbass.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1510448' date='Sep 8 2008, 20.59']You know Aaron Rodgers has to be the happiest man in Green Bay right now after scoring that TD on the QB draw. For at least one week the fans will be happy with him.[/quote]

Like I've said all off-season, Rodgers is going to be good. And GB is going to win the NFC North.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1510472' date='Sep 8 2008, 21.25']Raiders-Broncos has only just kicked off and I am already muting the TV. Mike Greenberg should not be doing play-by-play for any reason. Well, maybe I should give him a second chance... I have to figure out if he ranks below Joe Buck.[/quote]

Greenberg's major issue is his voice, IMO. Its fine for their radio show, but just doesn't work in play by play.

And Ditka is awful. Was so happy to see him get kicked off the Bears preseason games this year. Can't stand him.

Golic is the one guy in that booth who does an okay job.

Well, that victory for the Packer's was so very crucial. Sets a good tone and tells the public [b]and[/b] the team Rodgers can handle things. Should give him some breathing room amidst the non-stop comparison's to Favre. And the ESPN crew, I'm sorry, I like them on their own respective shows on ESPN, but as live game commentators they blow. They sound juvenile and unprofessional, spending more time on bullshit and grab ass than discussing the on going game. IMHO, they are only one step up from the truly awful Bryant Gumbel for play by play.

Archived