The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

@Abjiklam I have a question on the labels in the infobox header.

Since the label "nickname" appears above/before the name of the character and the label "epithet" under it. How do you arrange the labels in the edit for noble characters with nickname(s) and title(s) but no epithet. For example Lord Samwell "Savage Sam" Tarly, I've placed "Savage Sam" under the label epithet so it appears under the charater name, but really "Savage Sam" is a nickname. The epithet equivalent would be "the Savage".

Lord Bronze Yohn Royce works well enough here because the firstname doesn't change unlike Samwell/Sam.

It's a small detail but I would prefer to edit the infobox correctly on the first try if possible.

On the subject of nicknames in the infobox header, I don't think the "title" and "nickname" parameters should be used together. Likely Luke wouldn't be called "Ser Likely Luke" in-universe, he would either be "Ser Luke" or "Likely Luke." Yohn Royce is never called "Lord Bronze Yohn Royce," he's either "Lord Yohn" or "Bronze Yohn."

In my opinion the "epithet" parameter should only include frequently used proper epithets. Putting "the witch queen" in the header of Alys Rivers doesn't seem warranted to me, especially considering it's written in all lowercase and is more of a description or insult than an epithet. Putting "the witch queen" there is no different from putting "the baseborn wet nurse."

On 10/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Abjiklam I have a question on the labels in the infobox header.

Since the label "nickname" appears above/before the name of the character and the label "epithet" under it. How do you arrange the labels in the edit for noble characters with nickname(s) and title(s) but no epithet. For example Lord Samwell "Savage Sam" Tarly, I've placed "Savage Sam" under the label epithet so it appears under the charater name, but really "Savage Sam" is a nickname. The epithet equivalent would be "the Savage".

Lord Bronze Yohn Royce works well enough here because the firstname doesn't change unlike Samwell/Sam.

It's a small detail but I would prefer to edit the infobox correctly on the first try if possible.

There's a `nametemplate` parameter you can use to specify the order of a name's parts. For example, if you want the nickname to come below the rest, you can write the following:

| nametemplate = title/firstname-lastname/nickname

The template should always contain 2 slashes which separate the prefix, the main part, and the suffix. You can leave any of the parts empty, but the slashes must be there. Hope this helps!

Edit: You can find many examples here: Category:Character pages with custom nametemplate

Edited by Abjiklam
added link

On 10/16/2023 at 10:51 PM, Potsk said:

On the subject of nicknames in the infobox header, I don't think the "title" and "nickname" parameters should be used together. Likely Luke wouldn't be called "Ser Likely Luke" in-universe, he would either be "Ser Luke" or "Likely Luke." Yohn Royce is never called "Lord Bronze Yohn Royce," he's either "Lord Yohn" or "Bronze Yohn."

In my opinion the "epithet" parameter should only include frequently used proper epithets. Putting "the witch queen" in the header of Alys Rivers doesn't seem warranted to me, especially considering it's written in all lowercase and is more of a description or insult than an epithet. Putting "the witch queen" there is no different from putting "the baseborn wet nurse."

I agree with you. The name module leaves a lot of possibilities open, but it doesn't mean we need to pack the name with as many parts as possible.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:50 PM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Mindset and @Potsk have raised an issue with the naming convention in the characters infobox on the wiki recently.

Should we continue to avoid spoiler in the name part header of the infobox ? The time of the GOT show is passed and the weight book spoilers had in the past has lessened over the years. Is avoiding spoilers for the main series of books still a priority these days ?

For example, should we continue to refer to Bronn in the infobox as simply "Bronn" as he is known at the start of the series, or "Ser Bronn of the Blackwater" as he is known by the end of ACOK, or "Lord Bronn" or even "Lord Bronn Stokeworth" as he likes to be known by the end of AFFC ?

It's not like the naming convention we use has been 100% spoiler proof. Kings have always been refer as such, even if we meet them prior to their coronation (e.g. King Robb Stark).

I'd like people to give their opinion on this issue, so we can all respect the same naming schema for everyone and keep the wiki coherent.

@Ran @The Wondering Wolf @Abjiklam @Gonzalo @Nittanian 

As a reader of wikis, I'd love some kind of spoiler control, at least on infoboxes. It sometimes happens that I want some quick information about a character on some wiki and have it spoiled by the infobox.

• 4 weeks later...

@Ran I could not save an edit because there where problems with my login session, i have already logged out and when i tried to log in again i got the same problem and could not log in. I have cleared my cache and tried to log in again but it stil gives the same problem.

I am hoping you can do whatever it is you did the last time this occured, thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, direpupy said:

@Ran I could not save an edit because there where problems with my login session, i have already logged out and when i tried to log in again i got the same problem and could not log in. I have cleared my cache and tried to log in again but it stil gives the same problem.

I am hoping you can do whatever it is you did the last time this occured, thanks in advance.

Apologies! Should be fixed.

I've tried something new to see if I can fix the problem going forward.

There used to be a thread in the TWOIAF subforum to discuss the AWOIAF app, but I can't find it anymore.

The entry for "Bay of Ice" states, "The First Flints fish the shores of the Bay of Ice, and they and the people of Bear Island have suffered many raids by the ironmen over the years." This should be the Wulls instead of the Flints.

"There's people," Bran told her. "The Umbers are mostly east of the kingsroad, but they graze their sheep in the high meadows in summer. There are Wulls west of the mountains along the Bay of Ice, Harclays back behind us in the hills, and Knotts and Liddles and Norreys and even some Flints up here in the high places." (ASOS Bran II)

The mightiest of the Northern clans are the Wulls, the fisherfolk who dwell along the shores of the Bay of Ice. Their hatred of the wildlings is matched only by their hatred of the men of the Iron Islands, who have often raided along the shore of the bay, burning their halls, carrying off their crops, and taking their wives and daughters as thralls and salt wives. (TWOIAF The Mountain Clans)

Perhaps the black chief is a mistake and it is really white. A black battering ram would be barely visible on a black chief. Otherwise it could mean that the black ram fills up the chief entirely, which is why they are both black. In doubt, I would write "on a chief", not specifying the color, and would make the ram bigger.

Edited by Oneiros Drakontos

@Ran

The Worldbook says Saera ended her days as the proprietor of a famous pleasure house in Volantis. Now this information is not given in F&B, so I assume it came from GRRM's notes or something. The wiki implies she already had the pleasure house in 101 AC, but it could also be possible it was at a (much) later point (similar to Johanna Swann's case who might have become de facto ruler of Lys after 136 AC). Do you have any hint on the timeline?