What are you playing? Thread 2.0

Werthead

[quote name='VarysTheSpider' post='1756405' date='Apr 15 2009, 18.53']... abandoned that in favour of [b]Dead Space[/b], and have to say I'm impressed. The atmosphere is excellent - I've already shit myself a couple of times and I'm only a couple of hours into the game. It seems a little easy though. I'm playing it on medium difficulty but I haven't really died much, have a ton of cash, health packs and spare ammo.[/quote]

My experience was it never really got too difficult. There were a few bosses who could be tricky until you figured out their weaknesses but other than that the most difficult thing about it was making sure you aimed for enemies appendages over their torsos :P
The first 'scare' of the game is one of the best surrival horror moments in any video game imo. Even though there's never a moment that rivals that first initial shock it's still the best game of that genre I've ever played.

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1756499' date='Apr 15 2009, 20.06']Very casual plays of Condemned 2 alongside more constant plays of Bully.

Commended 2 is great fun so far, i had a soft spot for the first one and am glad to see the plot continuing on along the same lines. A bit of an underrated pair of games those two. The first one did at times almost get a little repetitive, Condemned 2 so far has quite a bit more diversity.[/quote]

I've got both games sitting on my shelf right now but for some reason haven't been able to get into the first one. I think it might have something to do with the slow pace of the initial mission. I realize they're going for atmosphere here but do things start to pick up?

[quote]Bully is a great little game. Slightly long in the tooth now (especially on the 360) but the content is enough to keep me going. As is the gentle humor throughout. Worth the pickup if you have a few dollars lying around. Not a big challenge but definitely a fun ride.[/quote]

Maybe it's because I had already played it on the PS2 but I was somewhat disappointed with Bully: Scholarship Edition. There were additions that would have been good -- like the multiplayer mini-games -- but they were super buggy.
Also I found shop class on the 360 to be nigh impossible which sucks because it gives you one of the better advantages in the game.

Despite some negative reviews I picked up Lux-Pain for the DS the other day. As far as non-interactive, linear games go I'm enjoying it so far :P

My collection of 360 Games got totally 50/50'd in my divorce so I was looking through them and spotted Forza 2 in there...forgot what an amazing and fun game this was.

Also played through Ace Combat 6...forgot what a shallow shitty game this was. Beautiful though..might have to pick up HAWX now...

On the PC have been playing FreeCiv and Battle of Wesnoth. Both are great games but I love Civ IV and would be playing it if my laptop could slug it out. BoW is a wonderful game and best of all...free. Try it.

Thanks

Ty

[quote name='Max the Mostly Mediocre' post='1756800' date='Apr 16 2009, 15.01']Playing through Starlancer for the first time. Just got to the seventh mission, where the difficulty ramped up tremendously. I've a feeling this is one of those 'throw disc out the window' missions.[/quote]

Starlancer was a pain in the arse to get playing on an XP system, I can remember lots of crashs mid game and gave up on it very quickly. After a bit of a hunt online I noticed this problem hadn't really been solved. What did you play it on and how did you get it working?

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1757315' date='Apr 17 2009, 03.08']My experience was it never really got too difficult. There were a few bosses who could be tricky until you figured out their weaknesses but other than that the most difficult thing about it was making sure you aimed for enemies appendages over their torsos :P[/quote]

It does pick up but you should get used to things staying tense and not being constant action. I'd recommend playing through the first 3 or so levels, the first one is actually a little more out there than many of the subsequent ones and not a massive favorite of mine. It's a game you have to be in the mood for before you start though. Its predecessor should be very cheap now and Id almost recommend you having a go at it, desptie its combat not being as refined.

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1757315' date='Apr 17 2009, 03.08']Maybe it's because I had already played it on the PS2 but I was somewhat disappointed with Bully: Scholarship Edition. There were additions that would have been good -- like the multiplayer mini-games -- but they were super buggy.
Also I found shop class on the 360 to be nigh impossible which sucks because it gives you one of the better advantages in the game.[/quote]

In regard to the shop class I worked out that if I paused the game just after the instruction came up I could get the stick waggling started and then unpause. Otherwise yes, nowhere near enough time to respond in time. Music is a very hard class too.

Hadn't played the ps2 version, I wouldn't have picked it up if I had.

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1757573' date='Apr 16 2009, 22.45']Starlancer was a pain in the arse to get playing on an XP system, I can remember lots of crashs mid game and gave up on it very quickly. After a bit of a hunt online I noticed this problem hadn't really been solved. What did you play it on and how did you get it working?[/quote]

[i]StarLancer[/i] came out just before XP did and was supposed to be fully compatible with it. I played the game through originally on ME and it was fine, and have since done two full replays on XP without a single issue. Weird. Microsoft infamously shafted the [i]StarLancer[/i] team a few times, resulting in a patch never being released, which was annoying as their were a few minor graphical bugs that needed fixing.

It sounds like it could be an incompatibility with SP1 or SP2, which is always annoying. Did you try setting the compatibility mode to W98?

Yeah, i did all the usual fiddling about. Now that I think about it I think the incompatibility was due to the sound card I was using, it was a pretty standard creative 5.1 card but I think it may have been the culprit. I may try to get it going on my newer computer, not sure if i'll be bothered in the end though.

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1757315' date='Apr 16 2009, 18.08']My experience was it never really got too difficult. There were a few bosses who could be tricky until you figured out their weaknesses but other than that the most difficult thing about it was making sure you aimed for enemies appendages over their torsos :P
The first 'scare' of the game is one of the best surrival horror moments in any video game imo. Even though there's never a moment that rivals that first initial shock it's still the best game of that genre I've ever played.[/quote]
Last night I bought the slicer gun and almost immediately tripped over about 20 cases of ammo, so the aiming has got easier - and a hell of a lot more fun. :pirate:

Other thing's I'm liking - it's cool that the menu screens and the holographic-popups are so integrated into the game that you never really stop being vulnerable, it's like EA have actually thought about these things. Also pretty unnerving to walk into a new area and know that anything can come at you from anywhere. So damn gorgeous too. The first time I walked outside the ship I had to stop and admire the view... even though my air supply was getting to a dangerously low level by the time I could tear myself away from it.

On the video game front:
Rome Total War. Yeah, game is old. I'm currently trying to see if I can complete the Caesar campaign without losing a single battle (except sea battles, bloody fickle things) so far so good.

Super Smash Bros Brawl. Still addicted.

Starcraft. I started a replay of this when I heard about SC2. And I haven't stopped once I finished the campaigns. Damn this game was fun.

Anything on addictinggames.com. I don't think this needs any explanantion

RPGs
My Pathfinder/Homebrew. Pathfinder was great. Fixed a lot of problems, especially all the dead levels for Fighter, and the Barbarian/Rogue abilities. Unfortunately at higher levels all forms of magic are much to powerful for balance for my taste. So I homebrewed off this system. Balance isn't right yet.

I'm playing Oblivion on and off a bit. I've never actually got anywhere close to completing the main storyline, because I always get distracted by the side quests.

Also have a new copy of Morrowind ready to fire up at some point, though I'm wondering if the greyness of the place will do me in like it did last time.

Installed Fallout 3 on my new computer, but for some reason, everything seems very slow. Mouse-look and movement just doesn't seem to respond the way it should do. I've tried fiddling with my settings ,but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'm not even a massive Bethesda fan, but for some reason, had the urge to try all of these out again recently.

I'm also playing some LotRO. And considering loading up Mass Effect again.

Picked up Tales of Vesperia based on this thread and a few comments on SA. It's anime as all get-out, but it's drop-dead gorgeous and quite a lot of fun. Only a few hours in so far.

This is probably going to get sniggers and derision from more than a few boarders, but I go old school:

Heroes of Might and Magic II. Never really got sick of this game, somehow. Currently own a Polish copy, since my disc disappeared some years back.

Trying to get Warcraft II to work with XP. Desktop, worked ok, albeit 4 years ago. Never managed it with my notebook.

Dungeon Siege (because my nephew is into this game and thought it might be a way to keep in contact with him while I am overseas)

Medieval: Total War. I still enjoy this game, if only because you never really play the same game twice.

I haven't upgraded computers in a long time, so rockin' new games is more or less impossible.

Starlancer was a pain in the arse to get playing on an XP system, I can remember lots of crashs mid game and gave up on it very quickly. After a bit of a hunt online I noticed this problem hadn't really been solved. What did you play it on and how did you get it working?

Er. I'm playing it on an XP rig with a P4 2.4ghz, 512 RAM, and a 32 meg mobility radeon 7500. I'm now on the tenth or eleventh mission, and have only had one crash to date. Didn't do anything special.

Now alternating Wing Commander Prophecy and Starlancer. It's a little sad how much better the writing is in Prophecy than Starlancer, especially since Prophecy's writing isn't particularly special. But Starlancer...the third time the same supposedly superbadass ace taunted me before jumping out of the area because he had 'other matters to attend to'...

This is probably going to get sniggers and derision from more than a few boarders, but I go old school:

Heroes of Might and Magic II. Never really got sick of this game, somehow. Currently own a Polish copy, since my disc disappeared some years back.

Trying to get Warcraft II to work with XP. Desktop, worked ok, albeit 4 years ago. Never managed it with my notebook.

Why would this garner derision, both of these games own and 2 was the best of the series

I haven't played the others but they're very well respected. We honor our roots here. :pirate:

Medieval: Total War. I still enjoy this game, if only because you never really play the same game twice.

I just brought my old and battered HOMMII disc back from Norway to try and make it work on my laptop somehow. It's a bloody amazing game, probably my all-time favourite, I remember discovering it at a friend's at a wide-eyed and innocent 14, and it was the single most magical gaming experience I've had to date (and now, I fear, with innocence lost, the magic is gone forever more). This was like some sort of amalgamation of all the fantasy worlds I knew, with an incredible atmosphere, largely thanks to the amazing score and soundtrack, written, arranged or compiled by Paul Romero, using well-known pieces by the greats (Bach, Brahms etc) to stunning effect. The music gave the game a wonderfully melancholic feel, as if it was mournful of its incapability of knowing true love, being a computer game and all. You won't find any derision here, friend. None at all.

M: TW is also an amazing game.

Trisk: Would you perchance be talking about the RPG series, and not the TBS series?

I thought the same thing: Might and Magic was a long running series that predated the Heroes line. I never got into that quite as much, since the replay-ability wasn't as high.

I am relieved I am not being ridiculed. I know there are flashier games out there, but I never really got past the SNES/N64 level of gaming. Though I do wield a mean axe in Rock Band 2.

I've been playing Battlefield: Bad Company (Xbox 360) a crapload online. Really fun game.

I wouldn't mind picking up Fallout 3, but for whatever reason it's hard to find here in Perth. Bizarre, as it seems generally popular and critically appraised, but nobody seems to stock it. That's Perth for you, though.

Played Pirates! for awhile lately. Having discovered that after a certain share of gold your crew will never mutiny (~1000 gold per man), I went around racking that up and now I've been sailing for ages non-stop. Duke with all four nations, much land, all but one of the famed pirates dead, half their treasures looted, Montalban defeated, and one of the Lost Cities of the Incas found. Very nice. It's good fun.

I'm thinking of wrapping up all the various set quests, and then maybe spending time harrassing the French until they send a Ship of the Line out.

I'm kind of pondering booting up Freelancer again, too. Or maybe continuing with Freespace 2, as I stopped mid-campaign.

Being playing alot of Dawn of War 2 1v1s with a friend recently, we discovered that after 20 odd games that for random side generator Orks don't exisit not once has it given it to either, through the lictor v Lictor fight was amusing, he out techied me and got a 'fex so I went for option number stupid for dealing with it send in the Hormagants!

Also slowly starting playing Last Remenents on the PC.

Last night when (a) I was too tired to cogitate properly and (b) the very reassuring snooker was on TV, I got past the bit of Morrowind where I'd been stopped effectively for the past nine months. There wasn't even anything particularly bad in the dungeon in which I was crawling; I just have an over-active imagination and all the caves, Dwemer strongholds and the like really frighten me. :/ Now looking forward to going on with the game.

Archived