Football no. 11

Horza

Lots of nice saves in that half. Boy, it feels like a 2-0 game that can still be lost. Brazil has been able to play most of the game in the half of the field they would like.

Yeah Howard's done a good job so far, though my soccer knowledge is very limited.

That Axis cam that ESPN used to show some replays is amazing.

As the Brit from 60 Minutes said, "Tem Hewurd is sewnd."

Lots of nice saves in that half. Boy, it feels like a 2-0 game that can still be lost. Brazil has been able to play most of the game in the half of the field they would like.

Brazil has excellent spacing and they are an offensive juggernaut. But sometimes they're too agressive which allows for guys to get behind them on the run. What's the point in outshooting your opponent 5-1 if your opponents looks are much better? Brazil doesn't seem to put much focus on their defense.

Brazil equalise and I think the US might struggle from here.

Even if they end up losing the US will have to be happy with their tournament. The Confederations Cup is more about how you perform in the build up to the World Cup and the US have to be pleased with the fact they've beaten probably the best team in the world and shown that they can compete with Brazil.

What a dominant second half by Brazil.

Disappointing, but if you told me two weeks ago that I'd be crushed by a 3-2 loss in the Confederations Cup final (three days after a 2-0 win over the #1 team in the world), I'd have told you that you were crazy - a result like that would be awesome.

When asked about how proud he felt at the performance, Landon Donovan said that they were at the stage where they didn't want to feel proud at losing, they wanted to win.

Kudos to him.

I missed the first half, and so the USA's best play but I thought some of their defending in the second half was superb. Players putting their heads and feet in hard to make the blocks. DeMerit made a cool backwards header to clear a cross and Spector put in a few excellent tackles.

Unfortunately, when Brazil get up a head of steam, it wasn't enough.

I did feel that there were a few times before Brazil's second goal where it seemed like the USA were tiring and I think they paid for that in the end.

Still, congrats to both teams on great performances and a good game and final.

It would be really unfair if we lost. Awesome second half (though that bad call on the goal almost ruined it).

Kaka's header that crossed the line?

In fairness, that was a really tough call. I can't really blame the officials for not giving it. On the first looks, I was sure it wasn't a goal, it was only the camera angle that was closest to along the goal line that showed that it almost certainly was a goal.

Even if they end up losing the US will have to be happy with their tournament.

Yeah, I am. It's obviously not as cool as winning it all, but the improved performances from earlier in the tourny are certainly a consolation. Congrats to rANE and the other Brasil fans out there. :)

ETA:

When asked about how proud he felt at the performance, Landon Donovan said that they were at the stage where they didn't want to feel proud at losing, they wanted to win.

Kudos to him.

Atta boy. Personally, I am not there yet but I love the fire. :thumbsup:

Sad to lose, but the entire second half seemed like a long march towards the inevitable.

The US substitutions came at a bizarre time with bizarre players. One positive i'll take from this tournament is that the mainstream American media has devoted the most air time to soccer I've ever seen outside the World Cup. All five major American sports websites have this story as their lead.

I really hope FIFA bans the vulvezelas, at least for matches not involving South Africa. I can just see some enraged drunk (insert your nation of choice here) fan braining a local with that thing because its been blowing in his ear for a hour and I can't really say I'd blame them. I know the host culture is a part of the WC, but this is stretching things.

Sigh...

I'm proud of our performance overall. But I couldn't believe we let that goal go in so fast second half. The second half was very sloppy. Specter, whom I rate highly, was caught out several times on the right.

Still proud of our players though.

Kaka's header that crossed the line?

In fairness, that was a really tough call. I can't really blame the officials for not giving it. On the first looks, I was sure it wasn't a goal, it was only the camera angle that was closest to along the goal line that showed that it almost certainly was a goal.

For the referee it was difficult, yes, but the linesman (or whatever he's called in english :P) should have been able to see that the ball crossed the line.

Archived