The Queen has been cast.

Andhaira

I'd like to reiterate: how is it that someone can seriously take issue with Headey's attractiveness and yet think Tamzin Merchant is perfectly fine as Dany, perhaps Cersei's only rival in beauty in the books (with Margaery and Sansa just behind)?

Speaking only for myself, part of the reason I'm dubious about Headey as Cersei is likely because for years I'd envisioned Tricia Helfer in the role, and thus I would have had likely-and-hopefully groundless reservations no matter who else ended up being cast.

I doubt the audience will be under any illusions right from the pilot that she's one of the "baddies".

Why should they be under any such illusions? GRRM doesn't make Cersei ambiguous at the start of AGOT, she's depicted as a haughty bitch and a likely enemy for the Starks from the very beginning. Hell, at the end of the pilot she has sex with her brother and has Bran thrown down a tower. Cersei needs to be charming in court and it should be believable that she can seduce and manipulate people, but the audience doesn't ever need to think she could be good.

Was focusing more on the sarcasm bit on the end, to be honest.

Everyone in favour of GRRM adding a boob size chart to the appendix of the next book so we can better refine our nitpicks, say I. :P

Is that alongside the 100% Official Female ASOIAF Character Hawtness Ranking chart?

Krafus,

That's someone's imagination I think. Is that from wiki articles?

The only person ever described as having a particularly lush, curvaceous body (and using those words -- lush, curves) is Arianne Martell.

Speaking only for myself, part of the reason I'm dubious about Headey as Cersei is likely because for years I'd envisioned Tricia Helfer in the role, and thus I would have had likely-and-hopefully groundless reservations no matter who else ended up being cast.

Oh god me too. I knew there was always going to be a let down for me if it wasn't Tricia Helfer but I was really expecting an actress that was similar looking to Tricia Helfer.

No, I feel you. Cersei's public persona is much more cute and vulnerable than we see most of the time, I'd say.

Can you back this up with something from the books? Joking and flirting are not necessarily 'cute' behaviours and they're certainly not 'vulnerable' behaviours, so I think your earlier mention isn't really relevant.

As far as I recall, Cersei's 'public persona' (insofar as such a thing exists) is that she is beautiful, sexy, and a bitch. I can't recall anyone saying she was in any way cute or vulnerable or behaving towards her as if she was, and she's not that popular or beloved in 'the realm' (by which I assume you mean outside of the court at KL).

It's possible you're using a very different definition of 'cute' than I am, but frankly, you appear to be mistaking Cersei for Margaery so far as I can see.

If our first glimpse of Cersei reveals anything other than the distinct, unmistakable impression that she is 100% verified all woman, the character isn't what she's supposed to be.

Luckily, Lena Headey looks 100% verified all woman to me. Not zaftig, maybe, but since when was that (or lush curvaceousness) the sole criterion for being 'all woman'? ;)

Krafus,

That's someone's imagination I think. Is that from wiki articles?

The only person ever described as having a particularly lush, curvaceous body is Arianne Martell.

I think this is actually directed at me.. You find it all over so it's hard to tell who's copying what from where. I thought the first place I ever saw that description was at the Tower of the Hand website, but after so much time I can't be positive.

Well I'm happy with the choice, mainly because I was a fanboy of TSCC, nice to know one of my favs found a home at the GoT series.

I was thinking the exact same thing. So what they say about great minds is true, eh?

Jeez, from some of the comments I had to backtrack through to find out exactly who had been cast, I was expecting a flat, trollish dogwoman who can't act.

Certainly not the case. Headey is beautiful, regal, and a fine choice. Great in 300. Actually, much more mainstream than I thought they'd go for.

Maybe I saw Cersei as resembling her figurine a leetle more, but Lena Headey is certainly believable enough to me in this role.

That, and Cersei is described as such an iconic beauty that any flesh-and-blood woman thrust into the role is going to fall short of expectations for people whose subjective ideals don't quite line up. That doesn't really describe anyone else in the pilot, with the exception of Daenerys, whose casting has drawn some criticism as well.
Yes, this is a bit like when they cast Diane Kruger as the face that launched a thousand ships - if there is a more obvious example of classical beauty in history I can't think of one. And yet, I don't find Kruger especially beautiful - she's very pretty and attractive for sure, but in my eyes she's no Helen of Troy. For me Arwen in LOTR was a similar dilemma. But they have to cast SOMEONE and they know that not everyone will agree they've got it right. I guess they have to just get close enough.

Black Wizard - sorry if I came across as being mean there, was just getting annoyed with the breast obsession in this thread.

Can you back this up with something from the books? Joking and flirting are not necessarily 'cute' behaviours and they're certainly not 'vulnerable' behaviours, so I think your earlier mention isn't really relevant.

As far as I recall, Cersei's 'public persona' (insofar as such a thing exists) is that she is beautiful, sexy, and a bitch. I can't recall anyone saying she was in any way cute or vulnerable or behaving towards her as if she was, and she's not that popular or beloved in 'the realm' (by which I assume you mean outside of the court at KL).

It's possible you're using a very different definition of 'cute' than I am, but frankly, you appear to be mistaking Cersei for Margaery so far as I can see.

I'm too lazy to dig up the specific reference, but there are a couple of moments, at least 1 in Clash and another in Storm, where she turns on the charm in Tyrion's presence and he remarks at how very good she is at it. I tend to trust Tyrion's judgment in those spots, and infer that that is her persona much of the time. She has too many followers and friends to be all-bitch, all-the-time (of course, by Feast, she's burned up much of that currency by, y'know, going nuts).

Luckily, Lena Headey looks 100% verified all woman to me. Not zaftig, maybe, but since when was that (or lush curvaceousness) the sole criterion for being 'all woman'? ;)

When I made that statement, I wasn't really referring to Headey specifically, so much as arguing that discussion of physical attributes in the general sense (or even breast size in particular) shouldn't be completely out of bounds, particularly for a character like Cersei, who is very consistently described in physical terms in the books.

When it comes to Headey specifically, my observation is that, from SCC, she is awfully buff, and that that's not consistent with my image of Cersei at all. She's not supposed to be a physical threat in the slightest, and it's hard to look at Headey and not see someone that could be a physical threat. Would we really want someone who looks like they spend a ton of time in the gym in the role of, say, Littlefinger, either?

Am I crying that her casting is the end of the world? Of course not, and I'm very open to the possibility that she will exceed my expectations and knock the role out of the park. But this is the first role cast where I've felt considerable reservations.

I think Headey is an excellent choice. Personally, I too imagined Cersei as as a bit more curvy, but that is a very minor issue. The important thing is that Headey is a very good actress and she also has a very regal and haughty air about her that I think fits Cersei very well. I think she's a better choice than basically every other actress that has been mentioned in these threads in the past.

When it comes to Headey specifically, my observation is that, from SCC, she is awfully buff, and that that's not consistent with my image of Cersei at all. She's not supposed to be a physical threat in the slightest, and it's hard to look at Headey and not see someone that could be a physical threat. Would we really want someone who looks like they spend a ton of time in the gym in the role of, say, Littlefinger, either?

I always got the impression that, though small, Littlefinger was fit. He certainly displayed some aptitude and dexterity with his dagger.

Likewise, I don't think they'll have "buff arms" Sarah Conner version of Headey in the role, but Cersei should look in the peak of physical health. She is Jaime's twin after all.

What matters to me way more is she can pull off haughty and regal. Headey definitely can. And she is beautiful. Give me a good actress over an idealized body type any day of the week.

ETA: yes, what firqorescu said

Archived