Octocon 2010: Dublin, 16-17 October

I would be up for Glendalough, however, my flight doesn't get in until 1ish on Thursday so I wouldn't be able to go if it was a morning excursion.

I'm planning on going up to Howth on Friday morning to walk the cliff path there. If anyone is up for joining me for that, let me know.

http://www.deerpark-hotel.ie/download/1/The%20Bog%20of%20Frogs%20Map%20Loop.pdf

Or else Monday? ;)

All the same to me, but some other victims won't be able to go if we make it Monday. Also, there is a definite feeling of finished Con by then :(

Glendalough sounds awesome, but it adds another night so I can't... unless you do it on Friday of course... :)

Ahhh...

I'll be getting in early on Wednesday, so I'm definitely up for Glendalough. :)

Hurray!

Don't know when I'm arriving yet, and I am assuming that this time estimate is not adjusted for Pebble-pace so if its anything more than a Gentle 4 hour walk then I better sit this one out.

In Glendalough, there are entire Rocks in hiding...

I would be up for Glendalough, however, my flight doesn't get in until 1ish on Thursday so I wouldn't be able to go if it was a morning excursion.

I'm planning on going up to Howth on Friday morning to walk the cliff path there. If anyone is up for joining me for that, let me know.

http://www.deerpark-...0Map%20Loop.pdf

I could wait for you at the airport. If 1ish means 1 pm that is. I'm going to wait for Alytha, too, and as you arrive at about the same time as she that would be no problem at all. :)

Also, I'm up for excursions and the like if they are not too trying. As Pebble, I'm not the fastest of walkers. :blushing:

eta

I thought about the walking...

If the ground is flat I tend to hurry, but if hills/rocks/whatever are involved I get sloooooow. ;)

And my feet will hurt afterward no matter what, but I'd be willing to suffer that. :)

I could wait for you at the airport. If 1ish means 1 pm that is. I'm going to wait for Alytha, too, and as you arrive at about the same time as she that would be no problem at all. :)

Also, I'm up for excursions and the like if they are not too trying. As Pebble, I'm not the fastest of walkers. :blushing:

That would be great! Assuming all our flights are on time. I'm supposed to get in at 12:50 PM on Aer Lingus from Milan. PM me your phone number when we get closer to the date. I'm not sure about mine yet because I'm supposed to be getting a new phone for this trip so sadly work can stay in contact with me 24/7 when I'm on vacation *sob*

As for walking...my friends generally complain I walk to fast.

That would be great! Assuming all our flights are on time. I'm supposed to get in at 12:50 PM on Aer Lingus from Milan. PM me your phone number when we get closer to the date. I'm not sure about mine yet because I'm supposed to be getting a new phone for this trip so sadly work can stay in contact with me 24/7 when I'm on vacation *sob*

My flight is supposed to arrive at 11:50 PM from Cologne but I don't mind to wait. I'll send you my phone number in time. :)

All the same to me, but some other victims won't be able to go if we make it Monday. Also, there is a definite feeling of finished Con by then :(

Uhhh...victims...:leaving:

And they told me you didn't actually eat people in real life.

As it looks like a lot of people who would be interested can't do Thursday, maybe it would be a nice closing activity for con people on Monday ;)

Mine is supposed to come in at pretty much the same time.

Fortunately, they haven't got the idea to get me a work mobile phone...just a matter of time I guess.

ETA: forgot to say: I'll be in Dublin for work 13-15th of September. I arrive quite early on the 13th and the conference only starts on the 14th so if anyone in Dublin is up for a drink on September 13th (that's a Monday), I would be happy to meet you.

Well that's a pity. I'll still be on holiday at that stage, so not in the country. We don't get many visitors to Dublin, so sorry to miss the occassion. Ah well, if you ever return here for work, hopefully it will work out better. :)

Enjoy anyhow!

How many people are going to be around on the Thursday? I ask, because I'm thinking of arranging a BWB walk/short hike (about four hours) in Glendalough.

There are some cool-looking ruins there, you get to strain your legs, and food tastes so much better by the time you get back to town...

Let me know. If I get four volunteers, I'll do it :)

Count me in! :)

I appolgise for the long rambling post – you can skip to the last paragraph if you like.

Its getting close to crunch time and I am feeling I really should start booking my OctoCon geek-fest. The week before I'm on nightshit, theoretically I could go to work the for the night then go to the airport straight from work (and hope I don't miss my flight by falling asleep at the airport) Its kind of rush hour ish travel (early rush hour). Once in Dublin then its straight to the hotel for some sleep.

Obviously this kind of wastes a day. Or I could get a late afternoon flight/ early evening (and get my sleep before take off) then have a early night cos I'll only have had half my sleep at best (and not a good sleep cos I would be waking up several times knowing I got to get up early) - This is kind of gonna waste the cost of a hotel room for a night

Or take a extra day holiday and have a whole day between me finishing work and starting the holiday. (ie work Monday / Tuesday night. Book Wednesday off Fly out Thursday…. This also seems wasteful

Or I could take the whole week of nights off – fly on Monday. If I did this then I am gonna be EARLY so would prob get a car and travel out a bit, see some sights ect.

Then return I'm on late shift so if I get a morning flight I could (and as it’s a short flight) I could go to work afterwards (I start at 2:30pm). Not something I really want to do but possible, and it does maximise my holiday.

I do have a total of 8 days I can take off (before April) I was toying with just taking a couple of days off for the Con and saving the other 5 to go diving in March somewhere warm. – but I don't think I got the holiday for this (due to my shifts) unless I use next years holiday days for it and just have a week away with Hubby later. (Its very unlikely I'll be coming to Reno giving its just at the wrong time – especially if I use all my vacation days this year.

So I guess I'm thinking about flying out on Monday 11th and home again either Monday or Tuesday 18th or 19th. I don't mind sharing a room but I am a light sleeper so if you think you might snore please find a different room. Is anybody going to be around on these days and wants to travel (day trips) outside of Dublin? (a quick search gives car hire at approx £10 per day) and parking is available at the hotel.

I wish I had a bigger window. Mine just shrunk again. Currently booked to fly to Dublin on the Friday (no problems), but my flight back at 9am on Monday arrives in Newcastle at 10.35am, and I am due to do some teaching in Sunderland (1 hour away by metro) at 12 noon. Methinks this is a bit tight.

If I was sure I wouldn't be too busy/tired to come, I'd buy a new flight back on the Sunday afternoon, but as it is I'm putting off the decision until I find out how frantic my working weeks are.

Does anyone know if

(1) Ryanair bumps up its cheap flights to expensive ones as the time gets nearer?

(2) the airport Ryanair flies to/from is near/far from Dublin, and what transport options there are?

(3) Octocon tickets are anywhere near running out?

My middle name is 'indecisive'.

(Sometimes)

Sophie

Count me in! :)

Luzi, you will counted among the great until the end of eternity.

(1) Ryanair bumps up its cheap flights to expensive ones as the time gets nearer?

(2) the airport Ryanair flies to/from is near/far from Dublin, and what transport options there are?

(3) Octocon tickets are anywhere near running out?

My middle name is 'indecisive'.

(Sometimes)

Sophie

1) I think they might...

2) There's only one commercial airport in Dublin. Pod works there. :wideeyed: It's about 30-40 minutes from town by bus.

3) I don't think they are yet. When we spoke to them a few weeks ago they still had half left, I think. But maybe Danielle can chime in here? She's on the actual committee.

Oh bah - the cheapo one is for 9am on the Sunday - that's no fun. To get the Sunday afternoon one (2.25pm) would cost an extra £58. So I really don't want to book that unless I know I can actually come. I'll have to wait until much nearer the time.

Archived