College Football III

Kalbear

Go Hawks! :)

I kept hearing how GT's option could be countered with time to prepare, but I never imagined Iowa's D would be able to hold GT's offense to 150 total yards and 7 pts.

2-0 in BCS bowls, 4-3 overall, not a bad bowl season for the Big Ten. Certainly a better showing than most people expected, I think. The four best teams -- Ohio St, Iowa, Penn St & Wisconsin -- won their games, all beating higher-ranked, top 15 teams, and the losses were all fairly close affairs.

Hats off to the Hawks' defense. They played amazingly well. Clayborn was a beast, and Angerer has one of the best names for a linebacker I've ever heard. Also I've got to say that Stanzi, while he doesn't really come off as a stud, is a key component for the Hawkeyes. The guy just finds a way to win games.

Here's the question: Why has Peterson's name not come up more in coaching rumors? Has word gotten out that he's super-content at Boise State and that he wants to be the Mark Few of college football? Because on paper, he seems like the #1 far and away top coaching prospect who is not at a major school.

I think its actually a little bit of an insult to compare Boise with Gonzaga. The Zags have hung tough with the big boys over the last few years, but lets be honest... rarely do they ever actually beat the big guys. They advance to the Round of 32 with the occaisional Sweet 16 and one appearance in the Elite 8. Hardly world-beaters.

Boise State on the other hand was playing in Division 1-AA a decade ago and is now routinely beating the top competition they are able to get on the field with.

As to why Peterson is staying... maybe he sees exactly what you are pointing out at Colorado? :dunno:

This freshman QB at UT can't hang with 'Bama's defense. If Bama can get ANYTHING going on offense, I think they've got it.

Disclaimer: 1st quarter isn't even over. Lots of time left for UT to prove me wrong.

ETA: Anyone else think Saban was inspired by Boise State with that fake punt? lol

I started out rooting for Alabama, but I don't think they deserve to win. I thought that it was on the way to a blowout, but Gilbert's been impressive in persisting instead of melting down.

Gilbert definitely improved dramatically over the game - he practically couldn't complete a pass in the first half, but completed two touchdown passes in the second. That said, when he did his turnovers, they were in the worst possible times and places, like the shovel pick near the end of the first half deep in Texas territory*, the fumble after he was blindsided (again, deep in Texas territory), and the pick that allowed Alabama to rub salt in the wound.

To be honest, though, it probably wouldn't have even been as competitive as it was if Saban hadn't run such a conservative offense in the third quarter. That bugged me - it's not like they were up 30 points or the like.

The Texas Defense really stepped it in the second half - in the first half, they just seemed to slide off Mark Ingram like he'd been greased up or something.

Talk about a series of anti-climactic events near the end there. Texas gets within a field goal of Alabama, there's 3+ minutes left on the clock - and Gilbert fumbles it deep in Texas territory, leading to the Alabama TD that secured the game. They then get the ball back, deep in their own territory - and he throws a pick, leading to another touchdown, just to throw salt in the wound. Then the kicker hits the uprights. Depressed and beaten, they get the ball back one more time - and he throws another pick.

I started out rooting for Alabama, but I don't think they deserve to win. I thought that it was on the way to a blowout, but Gilbert's been impressive in persisting instead of melting down.

Alabama definitely got a gigantic fucking lucky break there at the beginning, seeing as how if McCoy hadn't gotten injured the Texans very well might have gotten a TD off that fouled-up 4th down pass the Tide tried.

*I will always cheer, though, any returns by linemen. Chubby power!

Dear Nick Saban,

Please return to West Virginia and coach the Mountaineers. Sincerely,

- S John

I was reading another board this morning, someone was talking about all the coaching talent from West Virginia:

Ben Schwartzwalder - Of Syracuse / Ernie Davis fame

Fielding Yost - won first rose bowl, 4 consecutive national championships at Michigan

Lou Holtz - born in Follansbee, WV

And in more modern times:

Jimbo Fisher, Rick Trickett (both at FSU), Jim Grobe of Wake, Tommy and Terry Bowden both went to WVU, Rich Rodriguez, and of course Nick Saban from Carolina, WV. Shit, I think I'd rather have any of those guys over Billy Stewart.

So yea, grats to Alabama. How bout bringin' some of that mojo home, Nick?

So, in summary, I'd have to say that my favorite game of the five BCS games was the Orange Bowl. A good mix of defensive and offensive play, with a number of penalties.

I really liked the Fiesta Bowl game, but TCU looked like they were just playing so badly compared to their usual play. Hats off to the Fake Punt though.

The Sugar Bowl was a slaughter, and while the Rose Bowl was close, I think the Ducks looked weak in the second half. Even though they were down by not much, they never gave me the impression that they could come back.

And the BCS title game, well, see my comments.

The thing that really impressed me about Alabama was the fact that two different defensive players had late game interceptions and knew that their job was NOT to get a runback that puts them on ESPN but get the f*** on the turf whenever anyone got close. Great, great coaching.

If only the Chargers had been so smart a few years ago...

At halftime, I told a Texas fan friend of mine that her team was going to have a long season next year while Gilbert figures out how the game is played. He showed a lot more in the 2nd.

Aside from the badly positioned picks, Gilbert definitely did a lot better on the passing and game in general in the second half. Still, I would definitely have not wanted to be him after that game - he looked pretty sad after the fumble when the Tide defender blindsided him.

So we've got Tebow and McCoy both going into the NFL draft, and my guess is that both will be drafted (despite concerns over Tebow). Any guesses on who will triumph and who will flop? I'm not getting Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf vibes from either (yes, I wasn't entirely serious about the "Ryan Leaf" comment earlier with regards to Tebow).

I've already heard comparisons between Mark Ingram and Emmet Smith. Those are some big shoes to fill, and I hope the pressure doesn't get to him. Suh, of course, is Suh - he'll probably do fine so long as he doesn't get injured.

Tebow I think will do well in a limited role on whatever team gets him. Colt though, sorry the guy is just a choker. I saw someone refer to him as Shane Falco from the Replacements, and right now that comparison is apt. Hopefully he will be able to improve himself (like Shane did). But over his career in big games he has always come up short. I don't see that suddenly changing in the NFL when he'll have rough defenses dumping him on his backside.

Kiper already on McCoy today, saying similar things to what I said.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4808753

Tebow I think will do well in a limited role on whatever team gets him. Colt though, sorry the guy is just a choker. I saw someone refer to him as Shane Falco from the Replacements, and right now that comparison is apt. Hopefully he will be able to improve himself (like Shane did). But over his career in big games he has always come up short. I don't see that suddenly changing in the NFL when he'll have rough defenses dumping him on his backside.

Kiper already on McCoy today, saying similar things to what I said.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4808753

and Jake Locker looks more dumb by the day.

especially if there is a rookie pay cap for those drafted in next year's class and beyond.

Archived