The Judging Eye VII

Spring Bass

If we believe Bakker's UK publisher Orbit, the last book in the Aspect-Emperor trilogy will be released in January 2012.

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841498317

The book should be called "The Unholy Consult", not "The Horns of Golgotterath".

Wasn't "The Horns of Golgotterath" his proposed title for what became WLW? Or am I misremembering?

Either way I think both titles are terrible. Bakker has a habit of thinking of crappy titles, and then changing them to good ones though, so I'm not going to worry for another half a year or so.

I think Bakker claimed never to have heard of the Horns of Golgotterath title. I seem to remember the working title for WLW being The Shortest Path. He also said in his blog that The Unholy Consult is just his working title for the third Aspect-Emperor.

I also don't like Canadian cover very much. The Circumfix looks bizarre and Far Eastern script? WTF? It should be Middle Eastern, yes? I wonder if this cover has any relation to the text. Does the Circumfix play some role in WLW? Why? And perhaps it is supposed to be Zeumi script?

I agree the Shortest Path was probably the best of all titles proposed to latter volumes of AE. Both White-Luck Warrior and The Unholy Consult sound very generic, and Horns of Golgotterath is truly awful. Makes me think of horned Vikings from Mel Brooks.

Interestingly, Canadian cover is lacking definite article!

“White Luck Warrior”. Not “The White Luck Warrior”. Possible reasons:

1. It’s a mistake, we’re seeing a draft.

2. The Canadian title is indeed different.

3. The Canadian edition is told entirely from the point of view of Watchmen’s Rorschach, who is White Luck Warrior.

Even in the face of the Second Apocalypse I shall not compromise in this

Kellhus’s utilitarian methods, while ultimately noble, are at variance with Rorschach’s, so he will try to kill him. Kellhus, of course, will just turn him into goo.

David Rankine was that, and they were truly stunning. I wish they hadn't moved away from those.

I will get the US hardcover now, because that really is quite a beautiful cover, I like it more than the old image up on amazon.com.

As for titles, I expect Unholy Consult will stay on as title for book 3. Personally I like Horns of Golgoterath.

Only partway through Thousandfold Thought so I'm not going to read the thread, but feel this overwhelming need to post thoughts about this amazing series.

I'm starting to feel oppressed by the medieval mind, especially the religiousness, assailing me on every page. The knowledge that this is faithful to history does nothing to assuage the need to strangle these characters, and I yearn for the cool respite of a sane POV. Cnauir was my shelter until until he lost his shit midway through Book2, and is now erratic, as is Achamian. Ironically and disgustingly I eagerly await every Kellhus POV, suddenly finding his perspective the least galling.

And if my favorite POV is of a character whose success or failure is meaningless to me, what then? I whined recently in the Abercrombie thread about how he failed to deconstruct good and evil, but Bakker has succeeded magnificently. All the men in Earwa are contemptible beasts. Kellhus spoke the truth, saying that it doesn't matter if he enslaves those who are already slaves. My moral compass wanders across the trackless steppe, and I care not whether the Consult fails or prevails. All is spectacle, glorious and empty.

My hat is off to you Bakker.

Only partway through Thousandfold Thought so I'm not going to read the thread, but feel this overwhelming need to post thoughts about this amazing series.

I'm starting to feel oppressed by the medieval mind, especially the religiousness, assailing me on every page. The knowledge that this is faithful to history does nothing to assuage the need to strangle these characters, and I yearn for the cool respite of a sane POV. Cnauir was my shelter until until he lost his shit midway through Book2, and is now erratic, as is Achamian. Ironically and disgustingly I eagerly await every Kellhus POV, suddenly finding his perspective the least galling.

And if my favorite POV is of a character whose success or failure is meaningless to me, what then? I whined recently in the Abercrombie thread about how he failed to deconstruct good and evil, but Bakker has succeeded magnificently. All the men in Earwa are contemptible beasts. Kellhus spoke the truth, saying that it doesn't matter if he enslaves those who are already slaves. My moral compass wanders across the trackless steppe, and I care not whether the Consult fails or prevails. All is spectacle, glorious and empty.

My hat is off to you Bakker.

Interesting -- the crazier it gets, the more I like it... (?)

Interestingly, Canadian cover is lacking definite article!

“White Luck Warrior”. Not “The White Luck Warrior”. Possible reasons:

1. It’s a mistake, we’re seeing a draft.

Yeah, it was a draft cover. There is a different version on Penguin Canada website:

http://www.penguin.ca/static/covers/all/6/2/9780143051626H.jpg

Archived