Calling all the kitchen knives aficionado

Waldo Frey

so it was time to buy a knife. fortunately, i do understand the search function and was able to resurrect this thread.

rather than throw caution to the wind, i purchased the mac santoku recommended by chef and others,

all in all, pretty lifechanging

The board - it works!

Glad you like your new knife. :)

Speaking of, I got two new Chinese style cleavers made by Maestro Wu in Taiwan this winter break when I was visiting family. Actually my sister got them for me as gifts. They were made from steel recovered from unexploded bombshells that the mainland had lobbed at the Taiwanese. No I am not kidding.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Need to get something with bones and try out how good they are. :)

so it was time to buy a knife. fortunately, i do understand the search function and was able to resurrect this thread.

rather than throw caution to the wind, i purchased the mac santoku recommended by chef and others,

all in all, pretty lifechanging

Really? It is that awesome?

Really? It is that awesome?

Indeed. Sometimes at the grocery store I will look around and. Think about what would be fun to cut. And it came with a solid box that will make it easy to take with.

• 11 months later...

Bumping thread so I can find it more easily. Every year, my folks complain that they don't know what to get me for Christmas. So 6 months of dropping obvious hints about wanting a really nice kitchen knife got me a $70 Rowena iron. I've used an iron 3 times in 4 years :lol:

I guess that means I'll be going knife shopping :D

I picked up one of these and a ceramic steel for honing based on recommendations in this thread, and also from a sous-chef friend. Didn't want to drop $250 on a knife at the time, but my girlfriend complained of the lack of quality knives in my kitchen so I knew I needed to do something. She's addicted to the thing.

I got it back in september and the thing is badass. It makes cooking even more fun and I find myself volunteering to chop anything that needs chopping.

I'm moving soon and will probably give this one to the gf and get a new one, along with a nicer paring knife.

• 7 months later...

bringing this thread back to life i would like to introduce the board to my latest and currently favorite blade.

it is a 210mm gyuto by american craftsman murray carter. he is a master blade maker who worked in japan for many years in a small village. the blade is white steel (carbon) clad in stainless. the handle is rosewood, onyx and cobalt (i think.) as beautiful as it is it functions like a dream. it is razor sharp, sharpens very easily, is very thin and nimble and just lays waste to whatever i put it to.

just thought i would share.

I have been using ceramic knives for a few years now. They are the best for fruits and vegs. A watermelon can be cut through with no trouble at all. I won't ever use a stainless steel knife on fruit+vegs anymore. I've never sharpened the knives and the smaller fruit knife has been used daily for about 4 years. Going strong. The peeler is the absolute best thing and you NEED this if you peel things like carrots, potatos and apples often. You will not regret. Not so good for meat as it's not great for cutting through the skin and it can't cut bones, so it's the good ole stainless steel knives for that.

Can anyone tell me what type of knife the fourth one from the top is in this set? Fifth from the top if you count the steel.

I got a set for a wedding gift a thousand years ago and that knife was the one I used every day for 15 years. It was the best knife out of the set. The chef knife was crap. It got lost a couple of years ago and I've been looking to replace it, but I can't even find out what to call it. Two of my friends found one in thriftstores. I haven't had any luck.

I have been using ceramic knives for a few years now. They are the best for fruits and vegs. A watermelon can be cut through with no trouble at all. I won't ever use a stainless steel knife on fruit+vegs anymore. I've never sharpened the knives and the smaller fruit knife has been used daily for about 4 years. Going strong. The peeler is the absolute best thing and you NEED this if you peel things like carrots, potatos and apples often. You will not regret. Not so good for meat as it's not great for cutting through the skin and it can't cut bones, so it's the good ole stainless steel knives for that.

Maybe I am weird, but I never peel potatoes and very rarely carrots. I always just scrub them pretty good and use them with the peels. Even if I am making mashed potatoes I leave the peels on. Life's too short for peeling potatoes.

Archived