UK Politics VIII

Maltaran

Acacia didn't get it, bfc, you might want to go back and root around a bit through the last few posts. (If you did, and the 'ent' was deliberate, good one.)

it was deliberate, fantasy board, talking about trees. it would have been remiss of me not to include it.

This is an entirely pointless discussion. We should spruce up our act immediately...

... by moving onto the Welfare Reform Bill.

Seriously, "making work pay"? How is that meant to be achieved except by incentivising companies to pay more? "Jobs for British workers" - illegal last time I looked.

Making work pay is hard when there aren't jobs in the first place to pay and the ones that are around demand qualifications that you can't get because you can't afford to go to university any more. It's a self-defeating cycle. I'd actually be impressed if it was a deliberate move to create a disenfranchised underclass that can be tapped as a virtual slave labour force to pick up litter and clean park benches (meaning you can then sack the people whose actual jobs it is to do that), but that would be giving too much credit to Cambournelegg.

Best bit about IDS's round of the news programmes was the fact that he let slip even the new system will still leave an 'irreduceable core' of habitual benefit cheats that are untouchable, whilst about twenty seconds earlier he was indicating that the goal of the programme was to get even them into work. Again, none of the interviewers picked up on it.

What are the odds that a future ConLib proposal will be to remove the right to vote from the unemployed?

bollocks, obama is coming on a state visit, means we will have to put up with dickhead americans carrying guns everywhere and being incredibly rude (and wearing sunglasses and talking into their sleeves, twats). also i won't get a day off for about a fortnight.

Hi.

I heard you guys were having a referendum this year about ditching first past the post for optional preferential voting and some people are talking shit about it.

Take it from the people who invented it: they're wrong.

Oh sure, but it won't require expensive new counting machines, drag out the counting procedure, be too complex for poor little England, lead to a perpetual UKIP-MRLP diktat (a risk under PR) etc.

Archived